Sign in to follow this  
.Buzz

Cam Robinson - Do we pay him?

So as well know Cam Robinson has had a colorful first few years in the NFL. Coming off last year I think most of us would have been fine moving on from Cam.

However, after 7 games this year, Cam looks markedly better (more smooth and technically sound). Not to say he's been great, but based on those who evaluate OL (and just the eye test myself), he looks like one of the strong parts of this unit that has been largely fine. The issues have been more so on the right side with Cann being meh/now seeing Bartch who isn't ready and Jawaan struggling.

So the question is, do we extend Cam? I don't expect it to cost us crazy money (top LTs going for 18-22 with the new market). I'm thinking somewhere in the $12-$15M range. Obviously could maybe hinge on the idea of Sewell/if we're picking top 3 or in that 4-6 range, but if we don't we're then in the situation of needing to find a LT.

So I haven't seen a down all year but I guess it depends on how much/how long/how long REALLY based on structure

We're obviously not a good team but I dont love letting young guys who might have their best days ahead of them go

I view cam robinson similiar to donovan smith of the bucs.  Would i give him a similiar deal to what smith got? No.

Smith was a 3 year 41.25 million 27 fully guranteed.

I would tag him and see how the draft played out.  There's a nice handful of tackles that are currently projected from the rams pick to appx our 3rd round pick

You got in no particular order: 

Dillon radunz ndsu

Samuel cosmi texas

Alex leatherwood alabama

Daniel faalele minnesota

Jackson carman Clemson

Reshawn Slater Northwestern

Christian darrisaw Virginia Tech

Jalen Mayfield michigan

Liam Eichenberg notre Dame

Walker little Stanford

Personally I'm good on continuing to let homegrown talent walk. 

Robinson has always had the talent and looks to have made strides this year. We need to start rewarding our own and at worst he looks like an average LT. More than we can say we've had there in a long time, and I'd rather not have to spend draft capital (high draft capital) at a position we already have a solid situation at. 

As long as the $ is reasonable like I stated that's good with me.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Personally I'm good on continuing to let homegrown talent walk. 

Robinson has always had the talent and looks to have made strides this year. We need to start rewarding our own and at worst he looks like an average LT. More than we can say we've had there in a long time, and I'd rather not have to spend draft capital (high draft capital) at a position we already have a solid situation at. 

As long as the $ is reasonable like I stated that's good with me.

like u said tho Taylor is struggling so at worse we need a Guy who can Push Taylor to be better or take over RT and have Taylor Kick inside at guard.

PFF has Robinson as average. u dont pay average guys 10+ million just to keep an average home-grown player. 

the ideal thing IMO is we tag him(IE see if keeps on the path or regresses) and potentially use a Pick to at the very least solidfy RT. 

id much rather overpay him 1 year vs being stuck with a bad contract.  

theres only 1 OT FA that kinda would fit our rebuild time line and that is Taylor Moton of the Panthers. 

If Players Perform to expectations we should keep them but if they arent meeting them we shouldnt be forced to keep resign them just for the sake of rewarding one of our own. 

6 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

like u said tho Taylor is struggling so at worse we need a Guy who can Push Taylor to be better or take over RT and have Taylor Kick inside at guard.

PFF has Robinson as average. u dont pay average guys 10+ million just to keep an average home-grown player. 

the ideal thing IMO is we tag him(IE see if keeps on the path or regresses) and potentially use a Pick to at the very least solidfy RT. 

id much rather overpay him 1 year vs being stuck with a bad contract.  

theres only 1 OT FA that kinda would fit our rebuild time line and that is Taylor Moton of the Panthers. 

If Players Perform to expectations we should keep them but if they arent meeting them we shouldnt be forced to keep resign them just for the sake of rewarding one of our own. 

Actually, in today's market, you definitely pay average LTs $10M+. Pretty sure at $10, without plenty of guys getting the bump after the market went up with Tunsil/Stanley, $10M is right around the 16th best LT in the game.

We have tons of cap and no one to pay. Pay guys if they're worthy in house rather than continuing to piss off players in the locker room by giving out money to FAs that bust.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Actually, in today's market, you definitely pay average LTs $10M+. Pretty sure at $10, without plenty of guys getting the bump after the market went up with Tunsil/Stanley, $10M is right around the 16th best LT in the game.

We have tons of cap and no one to pay. Pay guys if they're worthy in house rather than continuing to piss off players in the locker room by giving out money to FAs that bust.

and thats why i would prefer to tag robinson because his career to this point has been fairly inconsistent and i dont want our good cap situation turn  into the having to gut the roster again. 

the tag gives us another year to evaluate him and also allows to at the least have insurance should we not land a Tackle we like in the draft. 

players are probably more pissed off about being continual losers then rewarding guys who dont necessarily deserve it(Bortles and his extension rings a Big bell right). 

players care about winning, Playing time, and money. 

for reference point the AVERAGE LT salary(im going 16/17) this year is between 8.1 million and 7.2 million so appx 7.65 million.  

i can get with paying him maybe 9 million tops but hes only an average LT and this class looks decent for left tackles. 

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

and thats why i would prefer to tag robinson because his career to this point has been fairly inconsistent and i dont want our good cap situation turn  into the having to gut the roster again. 

the tag gives us another year to evaluate him and also allows to at the least have insurance should we not land a Tackle we like in the draft. 

players are probably more pissed off about being continual losers then rewarding guys who dont necessarily deserve it(Bortles and his extension rings a Big bell right). 

players care about winning, Playing time, and money. 

Paying Robinson $12-$14M for 2-3 years isn't messing up our cap, especially when we're going to be drafting a QB high that won't require a deal for 4-5 years.

The main issues in our locker room began because we'd pay guys like Julius Thomas, Nick Foles, Jared Odrick, etc. yet not paying up when ARob, Jalen, Yan, etc. wanted to get paid. I'm not trying to be stupid with contracts (nor am I saying Cam is on their level) but if a player plays well enough to deserve a deal I want to be the team that does it. We have no one besides Chark and maybe Cole in house to pay. Stop going out and buying other teams players that they let go for a reason like the guys I listed above, Schobert, etc. and pay guys who you've developed.