Colts at Lions

diehardlionfan

22 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I don't think we're that far off at all. If we had a good defense, this team would be very, very good. After one more off-season devoting picks/signings to defense, I think this team would be strong.

What positions would you target in FA and the draft. Or, do you think enough impact can be made through free agency to allow a BPA draft strategy?

3 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I hadn’t seen that KG and Flowers were put on IR. That is not good. 

Flowers is on "short-term" IR while KG is said to be an IR candidate and appears to be trending in that direction. I jumped the gun on saying he's "on IR" but he will be unavailable for at least a few weeks. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

What positions would you target in FA and the draft. Or, do you think enough impact can be made through free agency to allow a BPA draft strategy?

Good question. I think I'd try and hold off on making significant FA signings. I'd use the available cap to secure our own (mainly Golladay) and target BPA with an edge to the defensive side of the ball throughout the draft.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

@TL-TwoWinsAway we have just so many needs to address with limited capital (5 draft picks). 

Offense: losing Marvin, Danny, Hall as FA's, KG is unsigned. We're going to have to re-fill the WR corp. Need to add a piece to RB. Offensive line isn't solidified, which is apparent after the Colts game. 

Defense: Major issues at defensive tackle, defensive end/edge and linebackers. At safety, Harmon is a FA. 

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

@TL-TwoWinsAway we have just so many needs to address with limited capital (5 draft picks). 

Offense: losing Marvin, Danny, Hall as FA's, KG is unsigned. We're going to have to re-fill the WR corp. Need to add a piece to RB. Offensive line isn't solidified, which is apparent after the Colts game. 

Defense: Major issues at defensive tackle, defensive end/edge and linebackers. At safety, Harmon is a FA. 

A WR core of Cephus is pretty uninspiring. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

There is nothing saying we can't resign Hall, Amendola and replace Jones with somone like Curtis Samuel, Demarcus Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Corey Davis etc.  RB is not a need IMO.  Even if we don't keep Johnson or AP, Swift plus one of them is fine and can always throw in a late round pick or UDFA with potential.  

I feel like the OL is close.  I dont like Vatai much but if we keep him at RG and Crosby at RT, we are a better unit is a whole.  They are good enough to be on a winning team if we do that.  

On the other side, DE and DT are my main focus with LB not far behind.  If an elite safety prospect falls to us I am good with that to so I would lean heavy on BPA on D.  There are some guys like Leonard Williams we could try for in FA but it is unlikely.  Most likely this is where I spend my first couple picks if the prospect warrants the draft slot.  

There are quite a few LBs that are free agents this year and would be fine grabbing one in free agency.  I think keeping Ragland would help and then hopefully new coaching can get something out of Tavai.  

We have the foundation with our CBs, Flowers, Okwara, and plenty of solid rotational pieces on the line, just need a stud or two to mix in.  Offensively we need the right scheme and a good year from Stafford.  I do believe coaching is a bigger issue than lack of talent, however our lack of talent is at an important position in DL.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

There is nothing saying we can't resign Hall, Amendola and replace Jones with somone like Curtis Samuel, Demarcus Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Corey Davis etc.  RB is not a need IMO.  Even if we don't keep Johnson or AP, Swift plus one of them is fine and can always throw in a late round pick or UDFA with potential.  

I feel like the OL is close.  I dont like Vatai much but if we keep him at RG and Crosby at RT, we are a better unit is a whole.  They are good enough to be on a winning team if we do that.  

On the other side, DE and DT are my main focus with LB not far behind.  If an elite safety prospect falls to us I am good with that to so I would lean heavy on BPA on D.  There are some guys like Leonard Williams we could try for in FA but it is unlikely.  Most likely this is where I spend my first couple picks if the prospect warrants the draft slot.  

There are quite a few LBs that are free agents this year and would be fine grabbing one in free agency.  I think keeping Ragland would help and then hopefully new coaching can get something out of Tavai.  

We have the foundation with our CBs, Flowers, Okwara, and plenty of solid rotational pieces on the line, just need a stud or two to mix in.  Offensively we need the right scheme and a good year from Stafford.  I do believe coaching is a bigger issue than lack of talent, however our lack of talent is at an important position in DL.  

This is a really good post. I'm along these lines as well.