49ers rumored to be looking at new contracts for Eric Reid/Carlos Hyde

Fureys49ers

I know a lot of people think these guys are likely to be gone but I think  they are two of our better players.  If we're trying to build a team I would perssonally want to keep these two guys.  I think of them as part of our "core" group.

51 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I know a lot of people think these guys are likely to be gone but I think  they are two of our better players.  If we're trying to build a team I would perssonally want to keep these two guys.  I think of them as part of our "core" group.

We are not good enough to be letting go of our best talent. Not at that point where the decisions become tough. We need as many good players as possible. However, we can't keep someone that will hold back a better talent if that makes sense. For example, keeping Armstead kind of holds Thomas back as he isn't able to rush from the inside as much as he should. So the same applies here with Reid/Tarrt. Is Tartt at the level where keeping Reid would hurt his development/play and affect our defense? If so, then we may just have to let Reid go. If not, then you re-sign Reid and figure out a way to have all three safeties on the field at the same time. Or you could possibly move Ward back to corner (I rather not) and then start Reid/Tartt at safety.

My bad on not starting the new thread. I'm also looking for a link that provides both of these. Rotoworld is now reporting that Reid is not likely to get a contract extension and that Hyde and Brown are the focus. 

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-mailbag-when-will-beathard-get-his-chance

Id like to see Reid, Hyde and Brown brought back for sure. Regardless of how the safety situation, in regards to who starts and who backs up who, we need talent on this team, let the depth chart sort itself out. I doubt Reid costs as much as you would think a player earning his second contract with a pro bowl in his past would go for seeing as how his injury history has held him back more often than not. Having that type of talent or depth I see as a good thing though, definitely not a negative thing. 

14 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

My bad on not starting the new thread. I'm also looking for a link that provides both of these. Rotoworld is now reporting that Reid is not likely to get a contract extension and that Hyde and Brown are the focus. 

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-mailbag-when-will-beathard-get-his-chance

Id like to see Reid, Hyde and Brown brought back for sure. Regardless of how the safety situation, in regards to who starts and who backs up who, we need talent on this team, let the depth chart sort itself out. I doubt Reid costs as much as you would think a player earning his second contract with a pro bowl in his past would go for seeing as how his injury history has held him back more often than not. Having that type of talent or depth I see as a good thing though, definitely not a negative thing. 

The 49ers like Kilgore a lot. While he might not be considered a top-10 center, the feeling within the organization is that the team can win a lot of games with him in the middle of the line.

Are we sure this article is not from The Onion????

Hyde's earned it, lets pay this guy and keep him in a nice rotation for the next 5 years. 

Reid we should let walk, his replacement for this injury stint is better than him, plus already under contract. 

Trent Brown we should lock up too, maybe not top LT money but Donald Penn money seems fair. 

I can see Ward and Tartt getting signed early (and at a bargain) before they really take off and have career years. But they probably wouldnt do it. 

I'll be curious what an extension for Hyde would look like. I just can't pay that guy a ton of money over a long term. 3 years max. He's looked great this year, and I loved the slimmed down Hyde - far more explosive than he's ever been, and I think that makes him a legit top  10 running back, where I think that there was a question before (mainly because there is a huge group of players in that similar range). But your greatest ability is availability...something he struggles with. I expect him to miss probably 2 games later this year. 

Reid is interesting - Tartt has played very well, and they play the same position. So do we move to more 3 safety sets? I don't love the idea of playing Reid w/Tartt as two starting guys..too much overlap in strengths and weaknesses and I really don't think that we have given more thought to putting ward back at corner anyway. Reid has to be looking for a Tony Jefferson type contract, right? That's pretty steep (not that we don't have the space). Does this mean that we try and lock up Tartt early and cheaper, or are we willing to let him go when his contract is up after next season? Maybe try and trade him this off season? 

Archived