The Good, the Bad the Ugly vs. the Browns of Cleveland (Post-Game Chat)

RaidersAreOne

He played like Richie in that game. That’s what the Raiders have been missing in that middle. The Raiders run so many inside runs that push has been missing so much all season until yesterday.

Was thinking that if the Raiders do make the playoffs. They’re most likely gonna have to travel to an AFC north team or the Bills and play a cold weather game. So yesterday performance builds a lot of confidence that they can do it if they do make the playoffs.

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Definitely. If Richie does retire I feel semi confident Good could be our LG for a few seasons. Or if we move on from Jackson to save some money.

As I said in the GDT Good has been pretty good and Richie hasn’t been missed as much as Brown has at RT. 

9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

He played like Richie in that game. That’s what the Raiders have been missing in that middle. The Raiders run so many inside runs that push has been missing so much all season until yesterday.

Was thinking that if the Raiders do make the playoffs. They’re most likely gonna have to travel to an AFC north team or the Bills and play a cold weather game. So yesterday performance builds a lot of confidence that they can do it if they do make the playoffs.

Good point about the travel during playoffs. Another huge reason a healthy OL would go a long way to helping us come playoff time. If we can control the LOS and TOS like we did yesterday we keep the defense off the field and stand a chance. With a healthy starting 5 OL we can even use Good as a 6th OL and really run it down any bodies throat. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Definitely. If Richie does retire I feel semi confident Good could be our LG for a few seasons. Or if we move on from Jackson to save some money.

I will be happy resigning Good.  He is not an all pro but he is easily an above average starter. One aspect of Carr's game that I like and dislike at the same time is his running.  He was more aggressive but he needs to know with out hesitation how far he needs to go and how he is going to get down safely.  His first down run scared me a little and reminded me of when he broke the vertebrae in his back.  He just looks awkward going to the ground when he is not decisive.

Good:

- OL play, especially given the circumstances with Trent Brown. Still astonishing that we are almost half way through the season and we haven't played a game yet with the full OL
- Both Jacobs and Booker ran physically

Bad:

- Front 4 still unable to generate a pass rush. Hopefully they can still feast on the Chargers OL like they usually do.
- Littleton still always looks a step behind. We are very furtunate that N'Joku dropped that wide open 3rd down catch
- Stuffed at the goal line in the 4th quarter

Ugly:

- Nevin Lawson. He's like Daryl Worley but without the cool INT against Detroit. Pretty stunned he made the roster over Amukamara. For the life of me I can't see how he could have been any worse.

Edited by Turnobili

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Definitely. Good is a solid if not above average LG, while being a serviceable RT. Good can step in for Richie, and I think the plan was for Simpson to be the contingency plan of Gabe Jackson didn't have a bounceback year and was a cut/trade candidate.

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I thought our interior OL played really well especially in run blocking but seeing those clips really highlight what a great job Good did. Glad he's getting some plaudits now. He's a guy it makes sense to keep unless he demands something outrageous, pretty much every year each team has a couple linemen go down so it makes sense to have at least a couple good players who can step in. With another game like that he could earn a starting spot too.....

15 hours ago, Turnobili said:

Ugly:

- Nevin Lawson. He's like Daryl Worley but without the cool INT against Detroit. Pretty stunned he made the roster over Amukamara. For the life of me I can't see how he could have been any worse

Not going to argue he had a good game because he didn't, probably his worst game for us but he is and has been a very solid corner for us IMO. He's more athletic than Amukamara and generally his coverage has been pretty tight plus he's a good defender in run support and usually very solid tackler. His ball skills are atrocious but I think he's definitely a solid guy to have on the roster. I'd say he's not like Worley at all in that Worley has good ball skills but is lacking speed and his coverage can be patchy, much more a zone corner. Lawson is usually Mr. Consistency in man coverage.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I thought our interior OL played really well especially in run blocking but seeing those clips really highlight what a great job Good did. Glad he's getting some plaudits now. He's a guy it makes sense to keep unless he demands something outrageous, pretty much every year each team has a couple linemen go down so it makes sense to have at least a couple good players who can step in. With another game like that he could earn a starting spot too.....

The fact that he has held down both the RT and LG position makes him worth good money.  Other teams know and see that.  We would be smart to shift funds to make sure he is financially taken care of.  The guy is an above average/good player across the line.  Just a priceless piece to have on the OL.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Not going to argue he had a good game because he didn't, probably his worst game for us but he is and has been a very solid corner for us IMO. He's more athletic than Amukamara and generally his coverage has been pretty tight plus he's a good defender in run support and usually very solid tackler. His ball skills are atrocious but I think he's definitely a solid guy to have on the roster. I'd say he's not like Worley at all in that Worley has good ball skills but is lacking speed and his coverage can be patchy, much more a zone corner. Lawson is usually Mr. Consistency in man coverage.

Lawson is a good #4 corner. You don't want him starting but he definitely won't embarrass himself. That scotty miller catch and gronk catch were pretty well thrown balls. It's not like he just got clean burned on either.

I just want Arnette back because Arnette will never give up an easy completion in press. He might grab you or rough you up. But you're not just going to get soft yards on him, which will allow us to continue to blitz with impunity.

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Lawson is a good #4 corner. You don't want him starting but he definitely won't embarrass himself. That scotty miller catch and gronk catch were pretty well thrown balls. It's not like he just got clean burned on either.

I just want Arnette back because Arnette will never give up an easy completion in press. He might grab you or rough you up. But you're not just going to get soft yards on him, which will allow us to continue to blitz with impunity.

I haven't really kept an eye on what the secondary gets up to, do we have any idea of how often Arnette was used in press?

I think it was mentioned on one of the Tape Don't Lie videos (highly recommend!) that Mullen doesn't get used in press that much despite his success in it last year...

*For Lawson the passes completed against him he does look to be in a good position but never seems to have any help...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ryno said:

I haven't really kept an eye on what the secondary gets up to, do we have any idea of how often Arnette was used in press?

I think it was mentioned on one of the Tape Don't Lie videos (highly recommend!) that Mullen doesn't get used in press that much despite his success in it last year...

*For Lawson the passes completed against him he does look to be in a good position but never seems to have any help...

Not nearly enough.

Ted had a nice piece on the Raiders defense against the Browns. Very interesting that on that 4th down play they put Joyner at safety and put in Robertson in the slot. Maybe a tweak that we will continue to see going forward with Joyner at safety on certain downs. Which you would think allows them to be more creative with Abrams near the LOS basically using him as a small LB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Ted had a nice piece on the Raiders defense against the Browns. Very interesting that on that 4th down play they put Joyner at safety and put in Robertson in the slot. Maybe a tweak that we will continue to see going forward with Joyner at safety on certain downs. Which you would think allows them to be more creative with Abrams near the LOS basically using him as a small LB.

I missed that, its great that we are able to go back and see some if the nuances. I'll definitely have to check that out, he has some good stuff out there. That's a very sensible wrinkle to add in there, thought Joyner actually played pretty well. 

• Like 1