Week Eight Recap: Packers Pee Down Their Leg in Loss to Vikings

mikebpackfan

48 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

can't have a contingency plan for everything. finite resources. There is/was absolutely nothing wrong with this WR corps heading into the season.

I think it was kind of naive to think you could trust MVS/EQ, etc. Hence why the move for Funchess was made in the first place. You signed him trying to upgrade that 2-3 spot depending on how you felt about Lazard. That being said, I was "okay" giving them a shot the first half of this season to prove us wrong. Unfortunately, nothing has changed, in fact, it's probably worse. Hence, why a trade makes sense IMO. 

Hey, I'd love a better WR on the roster.  No doubt.

But it wasn't happening in the draft unless we really reached.

It wasn't happening in free agency unless Sanders would have decided to come here, or unless we wanted to pay really big dollars to Anderson.

So...we bargain shopped.  And he opted out.  

If we can ever get our receivers healthy at the same time with our running backs, our offense isn't just fine, it's really effing good!  

Adams, Lazard, MVS, ESB and whomever is just fine.

Our shortcomings this season are not because of lack of WR's.  It's the other side of the ball.

Looking to the future, though, we do need to draft that position a few times in the next draft, or hope that our bargain shopping goes well.

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Hey, I'd love a better WR on the roster.  No doubt.

But it wasn't happening in the draft unless we really reached.

It wasn't happening in free agency unless Sanders would have decided to come here, or unless we wanted to pay really big dollars to Anderson.

So...we bargain shopped.  And he opted out.  

If we can ever get our receivers healthy at the same time with our running backs, our offense isn't just fine, it's really effing good!  

Adams, Lazard, MVS, ESB and whomever is just fine.

Our shortcomings this season are not because of lack of WR's.  It's the other side of the ball.

Looking to the future, though, we do need to draft that position a few times in the next draft, or hope that our bargain shopping goes well.

When are people going to realize that this is completely 100% not true? Do we need to go through another year next year of MVS/EQ getting meaningful snaps? Two more years? 

Exactly. Our defense was putrid on Sunday, but the lack of firepower on offense was just as much to blame for that loss. We scored 8 points in the second half against a bad defense with no CBs. Not having Jones (and Lazard) finally caught up to us and resulted in a bad L. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

When are people going to realize that this is completely 100% not true? Do we need to go through another year next year of MVS/EQ getting meaningful snaps? Two more years? 

Adams, Lazard, Shepherd and Malik Taylor would be fine.  At least these guys can actually catch the ball.

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Our offense is just fine.  Give me Adams, Lazard, Jones with Tonyan and that is a legit offense.  Throw in MVS on their 3rd corner and maybe we see some deep stuff happen.  Stern is showing a little bit now, and to me, he's at least showing that he has some pretty good speed out there.

Scoring isn't the issue.  Stopping the other team from scoring is.  A WR ain't helping that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Adams, Lazard, Shepherd and Malik Taylor would be fine.  At least these guys can actually catch the ball.

Fine as in? Still a subpar group. Can't win a shootout with the current cast against a quality team. I agree DT is a primary problem, but let's not sweep WR under the rug.

So it's Davante, a  5th rounder and three UDFAs? Those are the WRs for the Green Bay Packers??? A former goldmine in terms of WRs?

Edited by Howler

Just now, Pugger said:

Will Funchess be around in 2021?

Probably not.  2021 will have been two years straight he's been out of football due to last year's injury.

But you add a free agent WR like him, someone who knows what they're doing and has some talent, and we're just fine heading into next year with Davante, Addition, Lazard, MVS and say another couple rookies to battle for the 5th spot. 

If anybody thinks that won't be enough, they're in for a world of hurt because ain't nothing else coming.  Not when we're paying Rodgers 36 million dollars and the salary cap is going to be 175. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I sense your comment is made in context of wanting GB to trade for another WR.....maybe/maybe not.
Regardless - lets give EQ some time before we toss him out as a failure. I realize the GM force is strong with some folks, but

Games active - 13
Games played - 12
Targets/Receptions/Yard/Avg - 36/21/328/15.6  (58% completion %)

Note: His rookie season, Davante Adams line:
Games active/played - 16
Targets/Receptions/Yard/Avg - 66/38/446/11.7 (58% completion %) This year? Davante's at 74%.

2019 - Didnt happen. None of it.

Games active - 3
Games played - 2
Targets/Receptions/Yard/Avg - 5/1/6

EQ's gotta step up. When the balls in the air he's big enough and fast enough that he's gotta claim it.
When Lazard comes back, he'll probably lose snaps - but to discuss him as if he's played a ton of games/downs and failed - is wrong.

MVS is a different story. He's gotten a good look. He's been active in 39 games - played in them all - and produced (163/80/1294/16.2) - although inconsistently. The 49% completion % is low for a starter. This year, MVS's completion % has dropped to 46%

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Will Funchess be around in 2021?

I think he's a "break glass in case of emergency" kind of player for 2021.

Cap hit isn't bad.  Maybe we need every penny we can get, which makes him easy to move on from.

But....we've seen before that relying on free agency and the draft is not a sure way to upgrade a position.  So, it is nice having a player like Funchess just sitting there in case you need him.

And from what I've seen from this offensive scheme this year...he would fit nicely.

49 minutes ago, Leader said:

I sense your comment is made in context of wanting GB to trade for another WR.....maybe/maybe not.
Regardless - lets give EQ some time before we toss him out as a failure. I realize the GM force is strong with some folks, but

Games active - 13
Games played - 12
Targets/Receptions/Yard/Avg - 36/21/328/15.6  (58% completion %)

Note: His rookie season, Davante Adams line:
Games active/played - 16
Targets/Receptions/Yard/Avg - 66/38/446/11.7 (58% completion %) This year? Davante's at 74%.

2019 - Didnt happen. None of it.

Games active - 3
Games played - 2
Targets/Receptions/Yard/Avg - 5/1/6

EQ's gotta step up. When the balls in the air he's big enough and fast enough that he's gotta claim it.
When Lazard comes back, he'll probably lose snaps - but to discuss him as if he's played a ton of games/downs and failed - is wrong.

MVS is a different story. He's gotten a good look. He's been active in 39 games - played in them all - and produced (163/80/1294/16.2) - although inconsistently. The 49% completion % is low for a starter. This year, MVS's completion % has dropped to 46%

Nice post.  Though I always need to temper my enthusiasm about ESB.

Regarding MVS...I can live with those numbers, if....if...he were getting 2-3 downfield shots a game.  But he isn't.  He's getting that low completion % on plays and passes that are shorter and should have a higher completion percentage.