Official New Orleans Pelicans Thread

RavensTillIDie

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Who did we lose depth wise? 

Probably just Hart and bumping NAW to the starting 5. Our bench sucked last year, it still sucks and as is we are counting on guys who haven't proven they are NBA rotation players yet. 

5 minutes ago, amac said:

Probably just Hart and bumping NAW to the starting 5. Our bench sucked last year, it still sucks and as is we are counting on guys who haven't proven they are NBA rotation players yet. 

Hart probably playing out the QO with us. Also, young guys tend to improve. I see no reason Naji, Kira, Hayes, Trey and Didi can’t be average NBA role players this year. Pelicans fans just need some patience. We rushed to be a playoff team with AD, how did that work out? Just let the young guys play and develop. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

B+ off season if we bring in Buddy and/or Lauri 

Agreed. Buddy would be a nice consolation prize after whiffing on every other free agent. Our defense is still god awful, but our shooting is dramatically improved. If Willie can get the guys to buy in defensively (even a little) I see no reason we can't be a 7th/8th seed.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

Agreed. Buddy would be a nice consolation prize after whiffing on every other free agent. Our defense is still god awful, but our shooting is dramatically improved. If Willie can get the guys to buy in defensively (even a little) I see no reason we can't be a 7th/8th seed.

I think the defense will take a good step forward depending on Ingram. They drafted two stud defenders. Didi will be a menace. NAW is a good defender. They clearly valued adding length and defense this offseason. Hayes has the upside to be an elite rim protector. This team just needs to grow. 

10 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I think the defense will take a good step forward depending on Ingram. They drafted two stud defenders. Didi will be a menace. NAW is a good defender. They clearly valued adding length and defense this offseason. Hayes has the upside to be an elite rim protector. This team just needs to grow. 

I think you’re underestimating the NBA learning curve just assuming these guys will come in and be lockdown defenders right off the bat. It’s pretty rare that guys taken outside of the top 10 come in and make an impact right away.

54 minutes ago, amac said:

I think you’re underestimating the NBA learning curve just assuming these guys will come in and be lockdown defenders right off the bat. It’s pretty rare that guys taken outside of the top 10 come in and make an impact right away.

Didi NAW and Hayes are all “veterans” at this point. They took massive strides last year, I expect another step. It’s really not uncommon at all for guys to come in and contribute as role players. I think any Pelicans fan saying this roster isn’t better is just disappointed we didn’t make a big move. Just let the young guys grow. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Didi NAW and Hayes are all “veterans” at this point. They took massive strides last year, I expect another step. It’s really not uncommon at all for guys to come in and contribute as role players. I think any Pelicans fan saying this roster isn’t better is just disappointed we didn’t make a big move. Just let the young guys grow. 

Didi has played 3 games 😄 NBA vet.

I think you’re just too focused on pushing a narrative, you can be happy with the moves and still point out the obvious about the roster, those don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by Griffin the past 2 seasons, but I think we have a lot of upside long term. It’s just a matter of whether the upside materializes in time to keep Zion from becoming disillusioned with the Pelicans

19 minutes ago, amac said:

Didi has played 3 games 😄 NBA vet.

I think you’re just too focused on pushing a narrative, you can be happy with the moves and still point out the obvious about the roster, those don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by Griffin the past 2 seasons, but I think we have a lot of upside long term. It’s just a matter of whether the upside materializes in time to keep Zion from becoming disillusioned with the Pelicans

Was speaking more to NAW and Hayes obviously. This will be their third season in the NBA. What is my narrative? You just said the same exact thing I’ve been saying. This roster is young and has a ton of upside. Let the young guys continue to develop around Zion and Ingram. Rushing to be a middling playoff team literally never works. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Was speaking more to NAW and Hayes obviously. This will be their third season in the NBA. What is my narrative? You just said the same exact thing I’ve been saying. This roster is young and has a ton of upside. Let the young guys continue to develop around Zion and Ingram. Rushing to be a middling playoff team literally never works. 

Anyone who criticizes the team or any move we’ve made is an impatient hater. I said our bench is bad because it is, not because I’m impatient. it’s ok to actually have standards and not just cheerlead every single aspect of the team. 

13 minutes ago, amac said:

Anyone who criticizes the team or any move we’ve made is an impatient hater. I said our bench is bad because it is, not because I’m impatient. it’s ok to actually have standards and not just cheerlead every single aspect of the team. 

You are impatient. Pelicans fans are impatient. The bench is not bad, it’s young. Big difference. Kira, Didi, Trey Murphy, Naji and Hayes are all good role players IMO. Biggest hole is a bench 4. 

42 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

You are impatient. Pelicans fans are impatient. The bench is not bad, it’s young. Big difference. Kira, Didi, Trey Murphy, Naji and Hayes are all good role players IMO. Biggest hole is a bench 4. 

Didi is a good role player because he once dry jumped Luka in one of his 3 nba games, and Murphy is because you say so 😄 sound logic. Again its just vapid rhetoric with nothing to back it up

Edited by amac

16 minutes ago, amac said:

Didi is a good role player because he once dry jumped Luka in one of his 3 nba games, and Murphy is because you say so 😄 sound logic. Again its just vapid rhetoric with nothing to back it up

How do you know the bench will be bad without seeing their progression yet? Not saying they'll be good or bad, but you're judging them too harshly. 

Would Graham being our 6th man be a huge boost? Sure. Would grabbing a guy like Millsap help us out? Sure. But saying that the guys they have now are bad just because you haven't seen them play yet this year is a bit much. Naji showed great promise last season. Kira had flashes. Murphy was a knockdown shooter in college. Hayes took a massive jump after being benched last season. They have talent, but what they lack is experience. Once again, I'm not saying if they'll be good or bad, but @MookieMonstah's point is that they have the talent to be a good bench and I agree.

And you're way too fixated on his inclusion of Didi.

• Like 1

I want us to field an actual NBA caliber bench but still give the young guys chances to carve out roles for themselves, instead of just hoping that all of them are better than expected or being complete trash. Last season we got demolished the second we went to our bench, as is it’s not looking any better unless we get a surprise breakout season from a couple guys. We don’t have any proven sources of offense outside of Sato and no proven shooters. That’s not a recipe for success. You can have a little more nuance than the takes being thrown around here 

Edited by amac