Official New Orleans Pelicans Thread

RavensTillIDie

Just now, MookieMonster said:

Pelicans in a lot of talks to dump Asiks contract which is good news. Having Rondo back will help as well. They have the star power, they just need another off-season to add some good depth pieces.

We just have to be good enough this year to convince Boogie to stay. I'll be able to believe in what we're building then. If come next season we have AD, Boogie, and Jrue all locked up long term (and Jrue actually starts playing well again... he just hasn't been the same since the Boogie trade. Not awful or anything but just not as good as he's capable of) then I think we'll have a pretty good future. We just *have* to be good enough this year for him to stay. It's a lot of pressure lol. 

We're .500 but the cavs, kings, bulls, mavs  are all awful.

Jrue is such a weird player. I couldn't tell you what he's consistently good at on offense. If he doesn't figure it out we are gonna be lacking the firepower unless we make a trade

Nelson, Moore, Clark are nice as bit part role players but there's no consistent 3rd/4th option ahead of them

• Like 1

Just now, amac said:

We're .500 but the cavs, kings, bulls, mavs  are all awful.

Jrue is such a weird player. I couldn't tell you what he's consistently good at on offense. If he doesn't figure it out we are gonna be lacking the firepower unless we make a trade

Nelson, Moore, Clark are nice as bit part role players but there's no consistent 3rd/4th option ahead of them

Pretty much. We need Jrue. Without Jrue playing well we'll just hover around .500 all year long getting carried by Boogie & AD (exactly what's happening now). If he starts playing well our potential skyrockets. 

Rondo should help with firepower though, he may not be a great scorer but he'll at least open up look for other guys. Still though, need Jrue. 

I was reading that Cousins and AD have a combined usage rate of ~65% or so, which is absolutely insane. I mean, it's great to have two stud big men, but it's still yet to be determined just how effective it is in the modern NBA. And given that insane usage rate, I don't fault Jrue too much for underperforming. He'd literally have to be one the most efficient players in the history of the NBA to make use of the limited touches he receives on a night-to-night basis.

Outside of Jrue, our role players have steadily been improving, and Nelson has been a nice pickup. My biggest concern at the moment is the fact that we are top 10 in 3 point attempts, but bottom 5 in 3 point percentage. That's usually not a recipe for success. It's one thing to say we need shooters around our big guys to help space the floor, but it's another to force a bunch of non-shooters to take bad jumpers, just for the sake of doing so. At the moment, I think we're better than a handful of teams that are ahead of us in the standings, and so I like our chances of making the playoffs, and possibly even retaining Cousins. However, I'm going to need to see a whole lot more, including how Rondo integrates with the team, before I believe we're capable of making any real noise in the playoffs.

Think Boogie and AD have done alot so far to answer the question of whether they could be effective together or if you can build play winning b-ball building around 2 bigs. We just need a 3rd option badly.

Good to see Miller stepping up, hoping he can knock Cunningham out of the lineup

1 minute ago, amac said:

Think Boogie and AD have done alot so far to answer the question of whether they could be effective together or if you can build play winning b-ball building around 2 bigs. We just need a 3rd option badly.

It's so silly that anyone would doubt that duo could work. Whenever we would lose it apparently had something to do with a team not being able to win with Boogie, and the experiment wasn't working. But no, whenever we lose it's because they could shoot out jerseys into the crowd and give roster spots to whoever catches them and that would be just as effective as our actual supporting cast.

41 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

N.O needs some good 3 nd D guys as AD and Cousins have enough ability to score/create offense. Or at least have a JJ Redick type player.  

Yeah, just sign one of the best 3P shooters ever.  Simple solution.

Holiday needs to get his ish together.  Super disappointing so far this season.

Tbh Jrue is playing really well defensively. Like reeeeeaallyyy well. I wasn't sure just how well until I looked up some metrics but man's been elite on that end once again.

Definitely need him to play better offensively though. I think he will, he'll be fine. Too good of a player not to be.

Just now, amac said:

Don't wanna hop on the hype train too early but Miller looks like he could be the spot up shooter we need the past handful of games. Should start over Cunningham

He looks really good, much better than Cunningham. Small sample size though so we'll see. At the very least ride the hot hand while it lasts though. 

• 2 weeks later...

10-8 and 2 big wins over OKC and the Spurs back to back. Chances for the playoffs look pretty good so far, only team below us I think will finish above us is OKC and we'd still be in the playoffs, and there's teams we're tied with/behind that I think we have a chance to surpass. We look like a better team with Rondo (shocker) but we really need to sort the perimeter defense out. We need my boy Solomon. :(

Jrue playing much better offensively since Rondo got here and he's allowed to play SG, hmm who knew. It's almost like he's a better fit at SG. Team's gonna be great if the perimeter defense ever catches up to the offense, Jrue's still elite but man we need more than just him. 

Edited by Spartica4Real

• 2 weeks later...

That Kings game was a letdown, but like how the pieces are falling into place lately. Jrue + Rondo have been great, Miller and Moore have been really good in their roles.

If everyone starts firing on all cylinders at once we could be a pretty scary team

Edited by amac