GDT: Battle of the Bens. Steelers @ Cowbelles

The_Slamman

21 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah I fully expect Dallas to be back to their quitter ways this week. We just hate Philly.

PIT is a nightmare matchup for anyone, probably the most physical team in the league. Our team is having none of them. Bet your 401k on PIT against the spread if it opens at less than -10

Take it from a Steelers guy. Do not bet the ranch or the 401K. This team has a storied history of letdowns after big games.  They just had three emotional games against tough opponents. Here come the Cowboys who lost their franchise QB and is in need of a win or anything to salvage any ray of hope. I am sure that Coach McCarthy gives his "This your Super Bowl" speech.  While we are all optimistic that this is a special year for the Steelers, "WE TAKE NO TEAM FOR GRANTED!"  

in 2014 the faced the 0-3 TB Bucs at home with a back-up QB named Mike Glennon: result 27-24 loss! They have lost a few games to the Raiders when they struggled, the Saints when they were struggling, The Browns, and many other teams that they squeaked past who had losing records. Trust me, I would love nothing more than to blow out the Dallas Cowboys as a Steelers fan, but being completely honest: playing on the road and all the other circumstances, this game is just not as in the bag as everyone would think. I think the Steelers win, but I think Andy Dalton plays and has an efficient game before a mistake that may bail us out. I predicted 34-24, but the late score by the Steelers (after a mistake or turnover on downs) adds some distance and thwarts a comeback by Dallas. The Steelers have not played a complete football game except once this season (Browns). Good first half against Titans and a bad second half. That carried to Baltimore with a bad first half and a better second half.  Yet we are somehow 7-0. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a focused and good team and they have not even come close to playing at their potential. But they certainly make us all:

o-MAN-SCRATCHING-HEAD-facebook.jpg

If the pattern holds true against Dallas, The Steelers may go up 20 - 7 at the half (playing off their descent second half in Baltimore) and then make mistakes (penalties and or turnovers) that allow the Cowboys to get rolling. Cowboys draw close in the third 27-17 and then get a score early in the fourth quarter to make it 27-24 Steelers before the Steelers defense wakes up or gets a stop and a final pull away TD to make it 34-24. Throw out the records, typically these games are competitive. It is tough to win every week in the NFL.  The Steelers won a game on the road that they turned the ball over 3 times to none Titans. Then they beat the Ravens who outgained them and ran the ball all over their top ranked rushing defense. They have been bad, good, lucky and unlucky all at the same time. 

I am a Steeler fan, and I see the history of this team. I really hope that I am wrong and we do blow you guys out. 😀💪 In my heart of hearts, I am honestly not as confident.

Little Ben is a Pitt transfer. Mike McCarthy is a Pittsburgh guy ( We are elementary school classmates). Andy Dalton is from the AFC North and knows our team and would love nothing more than to hang a loss on the Steelers. There are some hometown connections and motivation to get up for this game and try to win. Good luck, not too much. Aww hell, I don't wish you luck, your freaking Cowboys fans! 😀  All jokes aside, please feel free to comment and add on our GDT thread as well. I would love to hear some genuine insight and thoughts from Cowboys Nation!

hqdefault.jpg

Booyah!

35 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Take it from a Steelers guy. Do not bet the ranch or the 401K. This team has a storied history of letdowns after big games.  They just had three emotional games against tough opponents. Here come the Cowboys who lost their franchise QB and is in need of a win or anything to salvage any ray of hope. I am sure that Coach McCarthy gives his "This your Super Bowl" speech.  While we are all optimistic that this is a special year for the Steelers, "WE TAKE NO TEAM FOR GRANTED!"  

in 2014 the faced the 0-3 TB Bucs at home with a back-up QB named Mike Glennon: result 27-24 loss! They have lost a few games to the Raiders when they struggled, the Saints when they were struggling, The Browns, and many other teams that they squeaked past who had losing records. Trust me, I would love nothing more than to blow out the Dallas Cowboys as a Steelers fan, but being completely honest: playing on the road and all the other circumstances, this game is just not as in the bag as everyone would think. I think the Steelers win, but I think Andy Dalton plays and has an efficient game before a mistake that may bail us out. I predicted 34-24, but the late score by the Steelers (after a mistake or turnover on downs) adds some distance and thwarts a comeback by Dallas. The Steelers have not played a complete football game except once this season (Browns). Good first half against Titans and a bad second half. That carried to Baltimore with a bad first half and a better second half.  Yet we are somehow 7-0. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a focused and good team and they have not even come close to playing at their potential. But they certainly make us all:

o-MAN-SCRATCHING-HEAD-facebook.jpg

If the pattern holds true against Dallas, The Steelers may go up 20 - 7 at the half (playing off their descent second half in Baltimore) and then make mistakes (penalties and or turnovers) that allow the Cowboys to get rolling. Cowboys draw close in the third 27-17 and then get a score early in the fourth quarter to make it 27-24 Steelers before the Steelers defense wakes up or gets a stop and a final pull away TD to make it 34-24. Throw out the records, typically these games are competitive. It is tough to win every week in the NFL.  The Steelers won a game on the road that they turned the ball over 3 times to none Titans. Then they beat the Ravens who outgained them and ran the ball all over their top ranked rushing defense. They have been bad, good, lucky and unlucky all at the same time. 

I am a Steeler fan, and I see the history of this team. I really hope that I am wrong and we do blow you guys out. 😀💪 In my heart of hearts, I am honestly not as confident.

Little Ben is a Pitt transfer. Mike McCarthy is a Pittsburgh guy ( We are elementary school classmates). Andy Dalton is from the AFC North and knows our team and would love nothing more than to hang a loss on the Steelers. There are some hometown connections and motivation to get up for this game and try to win. Good luck, not too much. Aww hell, I don't wish you luck, your freaking Cowboys fans! 😀  All jokes aside, please feel free to comment and add on our GDT thread as well. I would love to hear some genuine insight and thoughts from Cowboys Nation!

hqdefault.jpg

Booyah!

I know your team has a well-documented history of "playing down to their competition" under Tomlin and your fans are bracing for that. Believe me, that will not happen on Sunday. Teams don't "play down" to Dallas at AT&T, they get up for us.

I think part of PIT's problems in this respect have been to cap issues or late picks/subpar drafts that leave your rosters with some glaring, exploitable hole, usually on defense. It's hard to discern any flaws with your roster this year. I assure you, this game will not be close at all. This Dallas team is so, so much worse than almost any team you're anecdotally thinking of in this respect. Frankly, I think we're worse than the 2017 Browns at this point. At least that team covered some point spreads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I know your team has a well-documented history of "playing down to their competition" under Tomlin and your fans are bracing for that. Believe me, that will not happen on Sunday. Teams don't "play down" to Dallas at AT&T, they get up for us.

I think part of PIT's problems in this respect have been to cap issues or late picks/subpar drafts that leave your rosters with some glaring, exploitable hole, usually on defense. It's hard to discern any flaws with your roster this year. I assure you, this game will not be close at all. This Dallas team is so, so much worse than almost any team you're anecdotally thinking of in this respect. Frankly, I think we're worse than the 2017 Browns at this point. At least that team covered some point spreads.

I agree with you here. Some of that was some of the players attitudes as well. We some guys who knew they were good and thought that they only had to show up on Sunday. Some on both sides of the ball. I noticed that Coach Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert have tried to draft more high character players like Ju Ju Smith-Schuster.  I also see a lot of growth and maturity as well as leadership from one Big Ben. The year off has humbled him and made him appreciate the game more than I think he did before. Early success from young players can sometimes give you a swelled head!

big-head-small-face-celebrity-pics-image

Big Ben definitely fell into that category early.  Many former teammates questioned his leadership and character towards his fellow teammates. I don't see that anymore with Ben. He seems to be playing with a passion and a purpose. As one of my old coaches used to say, "The lights finally came on after I flipped switched  a long time ago!" Married life, appreciation for the game, his faith, and the realization that this just isn't going to happen because you want it to seems to have kicked in. The team is having better results with an older Big Ben and less superstars on offense (Bell and Brown) and some players on defense that thought they were much better than they really were. It is all about what is from the neck up and what is below the chin!💛

I feel for any team without its starting QB. After last year we certainly sympathize as we were very, very fortunate to make it to 8-8. Our offense couldn't do enough to support a solid defense and if our defense had an off game, it was Blinds USA for the Steelers (curtains, drapes and shades)!

game-over.jpg

Ironically, the 2019 Steelers and the 2020 Cowboys are somewhat eerily similar. We started horribly as well and lost Big Ben game 2 and went 1-4 before Duck Mania hit and the Steelers overachieved to 8-5 before reality brought us back the final three weeks and no play-offs. Truthfully they were not a play-off caliber team (i.e.with no offense or real threat of a passing game). You can't win like that in the NFL anymore. The Cowboys have had some early season struggles and rallied against the Falcons, beat the Giants and then lost some games that they were in: Rams and Seahawks. You beat yourselves as much as the Browns did. Untimely turnovers and keeping the defense on the field too long doomed you that game. All said and done, you are still in the play-off hunt for your division at 2-6. Injuries have not helped either, so all said and done, this is still aquality NFL opponent.  As Mike Tomlin would say, "We still respect you despite the record." 

11 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Hi @Steeler Hitman. Can you stop trying to give us a false sense of hope? 

For the first time in a long time (maybe ever), this forum is pretty much united in the tank. 

I'll do anything to cause dissension and discord Cowboys Nation! 😉😂 I'm still mad about SB 30!

Stay united, please tank and position yourselves for the Trevor Lawrence Sweepstakes (at least for one more week). If you want to help Steelers Nation, you can upset the Ravens for us later this year.......Well, that didn't work so well when I rooted for the Cowboys against the Browns. Oops more controversy! 

tenor.gif?itemid=5029675

13 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I'll do anything to cause dissension and discord Cowboys Nation! 😉😂 I'm still mad about SB 30!

Stay united, please tank and position yourselves for the Trevor Lawrence Sweepstakes (at least for one more week). If you want to help Steelers Nation, you can upset the Ravens for us later this year.......Well, that didn't work so well when I rooted for the Cowboys against the Browns. Oops more controversy! 

tenor.gif?itemid=5029675

I was 6 years old when SB 30 was played, so I barely even remember it. 

But I’ll tell you this: I’ll never forgive the Steelers for taking TJ Watt. And the fact that you guys wasted no time when you were on the clock makes it even worse. As if he was gift wrapped to you guys. The Ryan Shazier fiasco was tough enough, but I can’t let the TJ Watt thing go. 

Isn’t that enough pain? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony7188 said:

I was 6 years old when SB 30 was played, so I barely even remember it. 

th?id=OIP.JjUqp0Shza6YPDTOCjhuqAHaEL&pid

Don't I feel old after that comment. 😂

1 minute ago, Tony7188 said:

But I’ll tell you this: I’ll never forgive the Steelers for taking TJ Watt. And the fact that you guys wasted no time when you were on the clock makes it even worse.

We were extremely fortunate there.  I thought that Tak Mc Kinnley would be our pick, so when I saw TJ still there and Atlanta took Mc Kinnley..... Sometimes you are better lucky than good!

As if he was gift wrapped to you guys. The Ryan Shazier fiasco was tough enough, but I can’t let the TJ Watt thing go. 

Shazier was a surprise to me. I thought he was a super athlete, but not worth taking that high (over-drafted). High character young man and I couldn't help but love him.  I see you guys took Vander Esch though. He was a target a few years ago and because we didn't get him, we ended up trading to move up to get Bush (who is out for the year with ACL).

Isn’t that enough pain? 

Not nearly enough for losing a SB. 😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

th?id=OIP.JjUqp0Shza6YPDTOCjhuqAHaEL&pid

Don't I feel old after that comment. 😂

Not nearly enough for losing a SB. 😂

Well, while you’re over there reminiscing about a SB that was lost (25 years ago), I’m over here hoping that I can see Dallas make it to one NFC Championship Game in my lifetime. If that isn’t some old man “back in my day” line of thinking, I don’t know what is hahaha... You guys have won 2 more (w/ref assistance) since then! 

Get with the times! Unlike Philly fans, I actually like Steelers fans. Even though y’all have been spoiled rotten (due to good ownership) and selfishly want to win every SB. 

7 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Well, while you’re over there reminiscing about a SB that was lost (25 years ago), I’m over here hoping that I can see Dallas make it to one NFC Championship Game in my lifetime. If that isn’t some old man “back in my day” line of thinking, I don’t know what is hahaha... You guys have won 2 more (w/ref assistance) since then! 

thems-fightn-words.jpg?w=600&h=352&crop=

I think we were definitely the better team in both games against Seattle and Arizona. Minus some self-inflicted mistakes, those games should not have even been close. The refs have hardly been our friends of late or over the years. Yes there were a few bad calls (Seattle particularly), but Holmes was clearly in against Arizona. The Steelers kept Seattle in the  game with young Ben throwing a red zone pick and barely getting in on the sneak. They had Da Bus Bettis back then. He was the worst statistical winning QB. Green Bay clearly outplayed us and the turnovers kept us from Steelersing one there.  Pardon the pun.

Get with the times! Unlike Philly fans, I actually like Steelers fans. Even though y’all have been spoiled rotten (due to good ownership) and selfishly want to win every SB. 

A very true statement there. We are hungry for another. I am hoping Ben has a storybook season. He seems like he's grown up and although a HOF'er already, I think he earns some respect in the rankings if he can comeback and lead them to a SB win. Sickening for the rest of the NFL, but a great story for his football legacy and Steelers Nation if he can do it!