GDT: Battle of the Bens. Steelers @ Cowbelles

The_Slamman

32 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Taco was the safe pick. The floor on Taco, given his body type, was a 2-6 sack a year guy. That was worst case scenario. The floor on Watt was Never being big, healthy, and strong enough to hold up through a 16 game NFL season. Watt had the highest ceiling though. 

I learned a lesson that year. When your picking 28th overall, take the boom or bust guy. Getting a “safe” early 1st round prospect is one thing. Getting a “safe” late first/early second round prospect is another. If you’re picking late go for gold.

I genuinely thought Watt’s floor was higher. It only took watching him a little bit to see what kind of football player her was/could be. The strength/size thing was not an issue in my mind.

I see your argument about injuries, but he had recovered and just completed a very high-level college season, completely healthy. And any player can get injured at any time.

If someone wanted Kevin King, I could have understood that. But I really felt like the difference between Taco and Watt was obvious on the tape. 

21 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I see your argument about injuries, but he had recovered and just completed a very high-level college season, completely healthy. And any player can get injured at any time.

Some players get hurt more than others. See Sean Lee. Not all of it is luck. Some of it is. He, at that point, had been injured four times. He had two knee surgeries one on each knee. He had missed 3 full years of football. Yes he had just completed 1 full healthy season at a high level afterwards. Yes anyone can get injured at anytime. It wasn’t just a one time injury for him though, and it was determined he in-fact had a genetic condition. The injuries played a role in him not being able to play Tight End and switching to defense.

Obviously I was wrong for being cautious but Watt is certainly an outlier for overcoming his injury red flags. I still wonder if he would have had the same career as he does now if he were forced to play hand in the dirt for Marinelli instead of standing up for the Steelers. I believe he would be better than Taco but not necessarily the power house he is now, and may be a bit harder to stay clean and healthy

Edited by DaBoys