Week 9: Lions (3-4) at VIKINGS (2-5)

swede700

19 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

So what are we thinking with Eric Wilson and his performance? Another splash play with the INT but has anyone watched him closely to add anything outside the "splash" plays? 

Our LB corps seems more exciting to watch with Kendricks and Wilson. Not sure what the drop off is from Wilson to Barr in other facets, but I’ll generally take those splash plays and over someone who simply doesn’t make them, so long as Wilson isn’t a complete liability elsewhere. I think we were all hoping to see Barr make Ints or sacks like Wilson has but that hasn’t happened. 

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Our LB corps seems more exciting to watch with Kendricks and Wilson. Not sure what the drop off is from Wilson to Barr in other facets, but I’ll generally take those splash plays and over someone who simply doesn’t make them, so long as Wilson isn’t a complete liability elsewhere. I think we were all hoping to see Barr make Ints or sacks like Wilson has but that hasn’t happened. 

I think a lot of what Barr brings to the table is what Asomugha did (not to the same level) to the Raiders. Teams seem to avoid him when he plays in space and away from his side, so he has fewer opportunities to make big plays. That's my non-scientific, non-researched conjecture - but teams will go and test the backup and Wilson has made an impact there. 

I think @Freakout is right about the run game. Barr is just a stronger run defender because of his stature.

• Like 1

At their price points, Wilson is a way better deal. I saw a report today that the Vikings were just 3.8K under the cap. I don't know what it would take to sign Wilson next year but we do know that Barr's cap hit next year on his current contract will be north of $15MM. Cutting Barr would save the team $7.26MM next year and many millions more in future years.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

At their price points, Wilson is a way better deal. I saw a report today that the Vikings were just 3.8K under the cap. I don't know what it would take to sign Wilson next year but we do know that Barr's cap hit next year on his current contract will be north of $15MM. Cutting Barr would save the team $7.26MM next year and many millions more in future years.

While they do have the out on him next year, I doubt that they go that route.  I imagine the far more likely scenario is that they start doing to him what they've been doing to Kendricks, in converting part of his salary to bonus, so they can spread the hit out longer and free up some cap room.

Unless something dramatically changes, Reiff and Harris will both likely be gone, Harry will probably be extended and then they can restructure both Thielen and Barr to save some cap money.  They may also likely have to do something with Rudy.  

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

While they do have the out on him next year, I doubt that they go that route.  I imagine the far more likely scenario is that they start doing to him what they've been doing to Kendricks, in converting part of his salary to bonus, so they can spread the hit out longer and free up some cap room.

Unless something dramatically changes, Reiff and Harris will both likely be gone, Harry will probably be extended and then they can restructure both Thielen and Barr to save some cap money.  They may also likely have to do something with Rudy.  

I do not know whether the Vikings will keep Barr or not. If they need cap space cutting him will certainly be an option. I do not see Barr as a good candidate for the restructures that they have been doing with Kendricks. It is a really bad idea to do that with guys that there is a good reason to believe may not be with the team for at least a few more years of their contract. Restructures like that are best done with younger guys in the early years of their contract when those players have been playing up to their contract. Even in older players, it is typically only done when the player has been playing up to their contract. Barr has not played up to his contract.

• Like 1