Fixing the defense

deeluxx3

One example of hope i have is last years Chiefs' team. 

In their first 10 games they only held the opponent under 25 points 4 times (with one being 23 points). They were 6-4.  Including a 35-32 loss to us. 
After that, they were undefeated, won 9 straight and only one team scored more than 25 on them (Houston in a 51-31 lost). 

They turned around a defense that was pretty ugly.  Not historically ugly like ours, but they turned it around after 10 games. 

We can do it,  hopefully players get healthy and believe in the scheme along with the coaches calling better stuff....we can right the ship.

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

In their first 10 games they only held the opponent under 25 points 4 times (with one being 23 points). They were 6-4.  Including a 35-32 loss to us. 
After that, they were undefeated, won 9 straight and only one team scored more than 25 on them (Houston in a 51-31 lost). 

They turned around a defense that was pretty ugly.  Not historically ugly like ours, but they turned it around after 10 games. 

We can do it,  hopefully players get healthy and believe in the scheme along with the coaches calling better stuff....we can right the ship.

I also think this can be fixed. Got too much talent / guys who have performed at a consistently high level before to think otherwise 

but I do wonder why, up until the King trade, we did nothing to try and fix it. And I mean more so on the field rather than making a trade 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Yea. I literally have been thinking the same thing. Reddick today would help. 🤑

reddick is a pipe dream imo. the cards would be morons not to keep him and i don't see any evidence that he's even being shopped. plus he's in the last year of his deal so we'd have to shell out serious cash if we wanted to keep him for more than a half season rental- AFTER paying a premium draft pick to acquire him in the first place.

Edited by -Hope-

Given that there were only two trades of any significance this week, I’ll be happy that we addressed our biggest need. Wish there had been a follow-up move, but at least the FO recognized the need and did something, that’s more than almost every other borderline contender.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Wonder which of the three categories we fall into. A great listen 

Number 1.

Players don't trust the scheme and the coaches don't trust the players.

Coaches don't think the players can play up tight without giving so much space.
Players aren't trusting what is called because of the fact that they have failed so much, especially in 3rd down situations. 

They not trusting in each other.

To quote Dion Lewis after we beat the Patriots:

"We went cheap..."

We felt we could replace vets with younger pieces. 
Thought we could put in Fulton to take Ryan's roster spot (not so much his position, but his roster spot).
Simmons for Casey (which was the right move, but Crawford is really Casey's roster spot.)

That and the absence of a singular voice at DC is a killer.
Lack of impact from free agent spending, Beasley and Clowney. I was so excited to see those two, thinking we'd at least get 15 sacks from those two combined. 

Bottom line Robinson's plan for this season has failed. Either his fault or due to unforeseen circumstances like injuries.

This is Robinson's worst off-season ever. If he doesn't fix it this off-season we are looking at a big fall and back to bottom average of the league (7-8 wins). 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, every metric on the planet had the Titans regressing this season, so it shouldn't really be a surprise.

I mean everyone expected Henry and Tannehill to regress. They’ve been pretty damn good for the most part so not much regression there. Who honestly expected this defense to completely fall off the map and if you say you did, you’re lying. They were middle of the pack last year and now they’re the worst defense in football. There’s spots you also expected progression this year with the kicking game being one of them. It’s still pathetic. Mike Vrabel not hiring a legit replacement for Pees is the reason this team isn’t still undefeated or a 1 loss team right now.

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I mean everyone expected Henry and Tannehill to regress. They’ve been pretty damn good for the most part so not much regression there. Who honestly expected this defense to completely fall off the map and if you say you did, you’re lying. They were middle of the pack last year and now they’re the worst defense in football. There’s spots you also expected progression this year with the kicking game being one of them. It’s still pathetic. Mike Vrabel not hiring a legit replacement for Pees is the reason this team isn’t still undefeated or a 1 loss team right now.

Yeah, I remember the consensus being that that would be a big problem.