Fixing the defense

deeluxx3

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

To quote Dion Lewis after we beat the Patriots:

"We went cheap..."

We felt we could replace vets with younger pieces. 
Thought we could put in Fulton to take Ryan's roster spot (not so much his position, but his roster spot).
Simmons for Casey (which was the right move, but Crawford is really Casey's roster spot.)

That and the absence of a singular voice at DC is a killer.
Lack of impact from free agent spending, Beasley and Clowney. I was so excited to see those two, thinking we'd at least get 15 sacks from those two combined. 

Bottom line Robinson's plan for this season has failed. Either his fault or due to unforeseen circumstances like injuries.

This is Robinson's worst off-season ever. If he doesn't fix it this off-season we are looking at a big fall and back to bottom average of the league (7-8 wins). 

I think we expected certain guys to step up as leaders on defense...specifically Byard and Evans...but those two have been absolutely awful all year. We got the new "leader" of the defense in a second year player in Simmons

Leadership is lacking, accountability is lacking. IDK. Pees has been coaching longer than Bowen has been alive. There's just too much "figuring it out as we go" when the margin for error is razor thin.

Hard to blame any players on defense, regardless of how invisible they have been, when the scheme has been bad enough that I don't know if you could reasonably expect anyone to succeed in their place.

QBs are coming out and just throwing to their first read. They highlighted Rivers making numerous throws in under 2 seconds. 

That's 100% on coaching.

Vrabel is my guy. I like him. I think he's smart. I also think he's arrogant and I'm really hoping he's not too arrogant to realize when something that was his idea is a mistake.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

Hard to blame any players on defense, regardless of how invisible they have been, when the scheme has been bad enough that I don't know if you could reasonably expect anyone to succeed in their place.

QBs are coming out and just throwing to their first read. They highlighted Rivers making numerous throws in under 2 seconds. 

That's 100% on coaching.

Vrabel is my guy. I like him. I think he's smart. I also think he's arrogant and I'm really hoping he's not too arrogant to realize when something that was his idea is a mistake.

to add to this, when guys like kevin byard and jayon brown who have been playing at a very high level for years suddenly look like complete trash under a new coach....well, you connect the dots.