NE Mid Season Survey

Hunter2_1

23 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Should lose out now to salvage something like a top 15 pick

Looking at the teams in front of the Pats, my projection if the Pats lose out would be 10/11 pick. Possible trade up could be with Dallas, Chargers and Philly.

Dallas    Need Everything

Chargers  Need defense can move down still get great D player. CB or LB.

Philly   WR or TE. 

Edited by m haynes

Lose out is very unlikely. 

BB is going to want to avoid a losing record. Jets are awful so that's a win more than likely .. miami and buffalo are a toss up. I could honestly see miami being a loss then buffalo a win because they are already resting people after winning the divison. 

Are we mathematically eliminated now? Does that mean we may actually see Stidham start 1 or 2 games to end the year? 

11 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Lose out is very unlikely. 

BB is going to want to avoid a losing record. Jets are awful so that's a win more than likely .. miami and buffalo are a toss up. I could honestly see miami being a loss then buffalo a win because they are already resting people after winning the divison. 

Are we mathematically eliminated now? Does that mean we may actually see Stidham start 1 or 2 games to end the year? 

We have a 6% chance of making the playoffs, you are going to need a lot of pieces to fall into place for it to actually happen. You can play around with the possible outcomes here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/upshot/new-england-patriots-nfl-playoff-picture.html

VERY unlikely. I guess Bill wont play Stidham until it's 100% done deal that the season is over is my guess.

Edited by The Third Rider
  • Like 1

BB doesn't play Sid next week, Sid is done in NE. Reasons

1. Seasons over,  you have to see what he can do, good/bad in a actual games. Does he have the chance to be the guy?

2. You have to have a plan for 2021 draft. Sid the man( or not) you don't draft a QB early. How to judge if he's not playing with " live bullets"

3. Sid third year if he plays well, why would he sign a contract and  not wait for the bidding war.

4. His wife family is loaded, she want to be closer to home.

There is nothing to play for this year, it over. He doesn't see action it speaks volume on his future. It has to be three games for a complete valuation.

Why, 1st  game --- he throws 500 yards, 5 TDs , see he's the man!

2nd game ---   picked off 5 times, big fluke!

3rd game ---- 300 yards  3TD, 1 interception

Now you have a sample size to acutely evaluate.

ADDED   Sid has to really stink if they keep Cam as starter ------------  I wanted to add this to the end but I don't want to get black balled or attacked (or BB is a Moron) 😄

Edited by m haynes

Cam playing over him has pretty much guaranteed in my eyes that the team will draft a QB within the first 2 rounds this year. 

BUT, my reasoning for wanting Stidham to start.. is to see if he can be the Bridge QB.. 

Think of it from this perspective.. could Stidham start 6-10 games next season while a new QB gets ready and be competitive? Maybe even the full season? Even a 1st round QB it seems hard to believe BB will want to start him asap. 

Starting Stidham for short money would allow the team to spend money elsewhere instead of 10 million on a Fitzpatrick level QB for one year. 

15 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Cam playing over him has pretty much guaranteed in my eyes that the team will draft a QB within the first 2 rounds this year. 

BUT, my reasoning for wanting Stidham to start.. is to see if he can be the Bridge QB.. 

Think of it from this perspective.. could Stidham start 6-10 games next season while a new QB gets ready and be competitive? Maybe even the full season? Even a 1st round QB it seems hard to believe BB will want to start him asap. 

Starting Stidham for short money would allow the team to spend money elsewhere instead of 10 million on a Fitzpatrick level QB for one year. 

I have a hard time believing any QB they draft will start or play in 2021. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I see him bringing in the Fitz type which I hope the heck they don't.

There are only two QB I see the ( Wilson gone early) Patriot going for Trask and Jones all other are a waste of draft capital. I just don't see how they are going to get one unless they use their 1st RD pick. You can trade down but you risk losing the QB if a team see value. EX Raiders take Trask/Jones.

PS It kills me to see the Pats reach for a QB when there's players like , Moore,  Pitts, Waddle, and Smith are still on the board.

7 minutes ago, m haynes said:

PS It kills me to see the Pats reach for a QB when there's players like , Moore,  Pitts, Waddle, and Smith are still on the board.

I agree about most of that, which is why personally i had hoped Stidham started all this year but I think it's possible for him to be the bridge QB next year if the team likes what they have seen lately / this off season. Being able to save 10 million or so on a QB can go a long way towards rebuilding the defense and getting an experienced WR / TE / OL to help this team immediately. 

LA / Dallas are going to be open for business if the Patriots want to trade up and get Wilson. I think they can certainly make it happen with the 15th pick to get to top 5. I doubt it happens though and agree that Trask / Jones will be the guy. I also fear that they will trade back and only have 1 left to choose from.. will it be the one they wanted.. WHO KNOWS!? 

WR has a lot of options there but no chance they go after someone.. I think it's more likely we see a DL player if they aren't going after a QB

The thing to look out for would be Gilmore.. they apparently wanted a 1st rounder and player this season for him. What are the odds a team gives up a 2nd round pick for him this offseason? You can MAYYYYBE get Moore with a high second round pick and he would be lethal for this team given his speed. 

4 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I agree about most of that, which is why personally i had hoped Stidham started all this year but I think it's possible for him to be the bridge QB next year if the team likes what they have seen lately / this off season. Being able to save 10 million or so on a QB can go a long way towards rebuilding the defense and getting an experienced WR / TE / OL to help this team immediately. 

LA / Dallas are going to be open for business if the Patriots want to trade up and get Wilson. I think they can certainly make it happen with the 15th pick to get to top 5. I doubt it happens though and agree that Trask / Jones will be the guy. I also fear that they will trade back and only have 1 left to choose from.. will it be the one they wanted.. WHO KNOWS!? 

WR has a lot of options there but no chance they go after someone.. I think it's more likely we see a DL player if they aren't going after a QB

The thing to look out for would be Gilmore.. they apparently wanted a 1st rounder and player this season for him. What are the odds a team gives up a 2nd round pick for him this offseason? You can MAYYYYBE get Moore with a high second round pick and he would be lethal for this team given his speed. 

Great post   Couple things

15th pick

That could end up 10/11 if the lose out. I don't consider Jets as a sure win, I never take them lightly.   Pats fan 50+ years! 😁

more likely we see a DL player if they aren't going after a QB

Pats will only have DBs at 15 to pick from. There aren't any DL, LBs worth drafting that high, unless they like Nick Bolton.

WR has a lot of options there but no chance they go after someone

This tick me off. This is the year we have the pick to take a stud ( I'm talking about  the best in the whole frigging draft). however we can't take one because of other needs! Damn, Damn, Damn!!!

2 minutes ago, m haynes said:

That could end up 10/11 if the lose out. I don't consider Jets as a sure win, I never take them lightly.   Pats fan 50+ years! 😁

This tick me off. This is the year we have the pick to take a stud ( I'm talking about  the best in the whole frigging draft). however we can't take one because of other needs! Damn, Damn, Damn!!!

1. I assume #15 pick just because I believe the team will end up 8-8 .. they won't lose out.. I think they go 8-8, BB is going to do everything humanly possible to make sure this team doesn't end below .500 .. so we can expect every trick play in the book next couple weeks to make sure that happens. I think they beat Miami and lose to Buffalo then beat the Jets. IF they had the #10 pick I would be incredibly angry if they didn't jump 5 picks and grab Wilson .. wouldn't tossing a 2nd rounder get that deal done? Seems like a no brainer to me
  2. One of Gregory Rousseau / Azeez Ojulari / Kwity Paye / Patrick Jones II / Jordan Davis  could be available in the 10-15 range. Given how bad the pass rush & run defense have been .. BB could be interested in one of those guys ( I know nothing about any of them) 
  3. The closest you have to a WR in the first round I think would be Kyle Pitts if they absolutely fall in love with him. I haven't seen enough of him to really know if he is worth a pick that high though.. is he as good as TJ Hockenson? Is he a guy you can build the offense around? I'm not sure how I feel about a year of Asiasi & Keene being the vet TE's with Pitts.. I think I would rather have a reliable veteran with them instead of all young guys. 

Admittedly, I have no idea what the right decision would be at #15.. WAY too many options.  

13 hours ago, Crimmage said:

they beat Miami

I don't see that happening however I'd like to be the spoilers to keep them out of the playoffs.

Gregory Rousseau

Big fast and raw. Plays all over the line.  I see the Pats (running up with the card) taking him but IMO long gone before 15. Falcons and Lyons.

Kwity Paye

I'm not impressed with him. I here some saying top 10 and I scratch my head. I just don't see it. We already have his clone Jennings !  Look at this and you will see what I'm saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzwC3Xa0KKw

Jordan Davis 

Big that's it, 2 down player. I will cry if they take him at 15 because I'm pretty sure they could get him later in the draft. He's no Vince.

The others don't warrant the 15th pick. Plus Azeez Ojulari , Patrick Jones II would play Wino an Unchie, Jennings  position. They are not,  move the needle type players.

Kyle Pitts

Think Kellen Winslow. I can't believe I'm saying this but more athletic ! Pitts is unstoppable for any DB. He's 6'6" 240 and runs a 4.7!!!!! Check out these numbers.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/225122/kyle-pitts

The major problem that you and I have, what about the other TEs Who the heck knows what going on there. Is it BB being BB or are they bust. IMO Keene will be a Jag/ST guy.

Lastly     TJ Hockenson is a good TE  but Pitt is just a freak.  Pitts could be considered one of the best when its all said and done. He's that good.  Two things that concern me with Pitts, will he have a QB that can throw and he's a FLORIDA GATOR!!!!😁

ADDED   Just think 10 yard curl, QB throw 15 ft high and Pitts catches it with ease!        ( this is a funny to make a point)

Update after drinking my coffee.  QB is the number 1 priority. If they don't go there,  Pitts is the target. There' s not a player more dynamic then him in the draft. None I don't care if they drafted 2 last year.  Pitts IMO is that good.

Edited by m haynes

I think it's simpler than a lot of people think. He starts Cam over Stidham because he thinks Cam gives the team a better chance of winning (whether through conventional QBing or not).

It is an indictment on Stidham that BB still thinks his chances of winning are even less than with Cam at the helm.

In the draft, wherever we are, he will draft the player he feels will give us the best chance of winning....