Week 9 GDT: Raiders (4-3) @ Chargers (2-5)

Jerry

Just now, BayRaider said:

Maybe because he didn’t look at the ball either time? Guy isn’t ready to start, that’s for sure. 

He didn't look for the ball, but played both of them well. Herbert threw both of them passes perfectly and Johnson put his hands up and defended his best.

I mean we just let a rookie QB march down the full length of the field twice in the 4th quarter, this defence has got to be bottom 3 that I've seen all year. Not criticizing the O too heavily but the Chargers gifted us the game and we should have put 7 instead of 3 up to seal it.

Why does it always have to be so, so difficult?!?!?!?!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Maybe because he didn’t look at the ball either time? Guy isn’t ready to start, that’s for sure. 

He made plays all game. I can only think of the Slant he gave up vs Allen on 3rd down that stood out against him. I thought he looked very good and should be taking snaps from Lawson and Nixon. 

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I mean we just let a rookie QB march down the full length of the field twice in the 4th quarter, this defence has got to be bottom 3 that I've seen all year. Not criticizing the O too heavily but the Chargers gifted us the game and we should have put 7 instead of 3 up to seal it.

We should have won this game by multiple scores. It can never be easy. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Gruden getting so conservative. It's just unacceptable.

We should not have allowed ourselves to be in that position.... offensive play calling was suspect towards the end of the game.  OLine couldn’t open up holes....

and the defense was atrocious... Horrible tackling especially Morrow on that RB screen.

but Isaiah Johnson really really came thru with those 2 massive effort plays to take away TDs passes from Mike Williams and Donald Parham.  Those were TDs and he took them away with his last second hand fighting.  That’s why having tall corners with long arms is such a massive plus.  Against any other CB we have those are TDs.  Hopefully this is his coming out party.  I have high hopes for him still.  When we drafted him we knew he was a project.  Hopefully this is just the beginning of great play by him.

Wow!!!

BTW these types of plays expose a real weakness to the NFL’s officiating rule book.  The refs just rule it a TD every time and let it get overturned or not.  But what happens if the video evidence isn’t “irrefutable”?  The play stands as called.... even though it was basically a guess by the refs.  These calls should not have the “irrefutable” Standard.  The refs should still make a call on the field but the booth should be able to overturn it if it’s 51% likely it’s an incomplete.  Look at that plays review: only 1 camera angle (the last one btw) showed it was a incomplete.  If that camera man doesn’t do a very good job we lose that game.  Why are games being placed in the hands of cameramen?

16 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

He didn't look for the ball, but played both of them well. Herbert threw both of them passes perfectly and Johnson put his hands up and defended his best.

Johnson IMO played it very well.... you get your hands inside the receivers hands and try to deflect the ball and if not slap it away.  That’s a valid technique to use in that situation.  It’s way more likely you do that and deflect the ball then slap it away.  9/10 a bigger receiver will outmuscle you for the ball.... it’s far far easier and more likely to strip it out of the receivers hands.

in fact the last second slap of the ball from Johnson when he was on the ground seemed to be what caused the INT..., I believe ..... I’d have to watch the play closer and a few times to say for certain

Why did we throw a 3yd TE screen on 3rd and 6ish?  That’s the forum For getting stopped a yard short.  Horrible play calling at the end by Gruden.

we put ourselves into position to lose this game.... the entire team lost this game for themselves outside of the last 2 freak plays by I.Johnson..... who by the way should have earned the opportunity to be matched up with bigger receivers way more often.  The kids needs to surpass Lawson+Nixon (whose really a slot CB) and become the teams 3rd outside CB after Mullen and Arnette.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Gruden getting so conservative. It's just unacceptable.

One point nobody has said yet though is if we go for it on fourth instead of the FG and we do not convert the Chargers easily win by 1.  Not saying that call is the correct one every time but this game it worked out.

With Johnson playing this well do you think when Arnette comes back we can have Arnette in the slot and move Joyner to FS?

Johnson - Arnette - Mullen

Joyner-Abram

Would allow Abram to roam and play according to his abilities.

• Like 1