Week 9 GDT: Raiders (4-3) @ Chargers (2-5)

Jerry

42 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Maybe because he didn’t look at the ball either time? Guy isn’t ready to start, that’s for sure. 

On the fade route to the back of the endzone. Seriously. He played it the way it is taught on that play. Get hand in there to jar ball lose. If you think nixon has shown better than what johnson did today, I dont know what you been watching. 

This was a poorly called game by Gruden. The play just before the end of the half which resulted in FG, not going for it on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter, The 3rd and 6 play on the last possession were all bad decisions that almost cost us the game. We have to win football games with an aggressive offense and not put it in the hands of our defense.

We are not very good on defense, but who is? The NFL is not a league with very many good defenses. This is an offense driven league because of the rule changes that favor offense. You need pass rush to effect offenses and ours is really mediocre/poor. We do a pretty good job against the run though. We are a couple players away from being a good defense.  Safety/DT/Pass rusher

My biggest concern is our coaches. They refuse to let guys play to their strengths. Abrams wants to play in the box. Ferrell has to be DE. Isaiah is clearly better than Lawson. Hurst is our best pass rushing DT. Give him more snaps. Erik Harris is the guy who should be benched. Joyner should play FS and let someone else play the slot Lawson/Robertson. This would be a win win as Joyner is terrible in the slot and Harris is terrible at safety. Let Abrams play more like Jamal Adams. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

On the fade route to the back of the endzone. Seriously. He played it the way it is taught on that play. Get hand in there to jar ball lose. If you think nixon has shown better than what johnson did today, I dont know what you been watching. 

Your right.... in those situations CBS are taught to just get your hands inside the Receivers and Smack the ball and hands.  
there’s no way to stop a WR like Mike Williams any other way.  No matter how perfectly you cover throughout the route the balls going to be thrown up to the WR/TE for them to try and make a play on the ball.   The CB is taught to watch the WRs hands and eyes and try and punch the ball loose as it arrives.  

How else is that coverage by Johnson suppose to be done?

5 minutes ago, ragingraider said:

This was a poorly called game by Gruden. The play just before the end of the half which resulted in FG, not going for it on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter, The 3rd and 6 play on the last possession were all bad decisions that almost cost us the game. We have to win football games with an aggressive offense and not put it in the hands of our defense.

We are not very good on defense, but who is? The NFL is not a league with very many good defenses. This is an offense driven league because of the rule changes that favor offense. You need pass rush to effect offenses and ours is really mediocre/poor. We do a pretty good job against the run though. We are a couple players away from being a good defense.  Safety/DT/Pass rusher

My biggest concern is our coaches. They refuse to let guys play to their strengths. Abrams wants to play in the box. Ferrell has to be DE. Isaiah is clearly better than Lawson. Hurst is our best pass rushing DT. Give him more snaps. Erik Harris is the guy who should be benched. Joyner should play FS and let someone else play the slot Lawson/Robertson. This would be a win win as Joyner is terrible in the slot and Harris is terrible at safety. Let Abrams play more like Jamal Adams. 

Your 100%.... moving Joyner to FS doesn’t just make Joyner better and gives us better play at FS..... it’d allow Abrams to play closer to the LOS and be more of a playmaker..... not to mention we’d likely get better Slot CB play from whoever moves into that role.

Off the top of my head id say we win more often despite the coaching then because of it.  Gruden has had some good games don’t get me wrong.... but even when he is on with his play calling we are still hampered by Guenthers horrible scheme.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

One point nobody has said yet though is if we go for it on fourth instead of the FG and we do not convert the Chargers easily win by 1.  Not saying that call is the correct one every time but this game it worked out.

With Johnson playing this well do you think when Arnette comes back we can have Arnette in the slot and move Joyner to FS?

Johnson - Arnette - Mullen

Joyner-Abram

Would allow Abram to roam and play according to his abilities.

Definitely. I think you have to put Joyner at FS.

58 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

One point nobody has said yet though is if we go for it on fourth instead of the FG and we do not convert the Chargers easily win by 1.  Not saying that call is the correct one every time but this game it worked out.

hmm i disagree.
the chargers scored after we punted, if anything, they wouldve scored with more time on the clock, and we at least wouldve had a chance. 

--

lol also, im talking about the 4th and 2 punt, at the end of the 3rd' so seems like different plays.
my bad lol
to many drinks after the over turn 🤣

Edited by BackinBlack
ahhh

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

hmm i disagree.
the chargers scored after we punted, if anything, they wouldve scored with more time on the clock, and we at least wouldve had a chance. 

--

lol also, im talking about the 4th and 2 punt, at the end of the 3rd' so seems like different plays.
my bad lol
to many drinks after the over turn 🤣

Sorry.  I must have quoted the wrong person or misunderstood.  I was talking about the field goal on our last drive.  It is all good no matter what with the win.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

BTW these types of plays expose a real weakness to the NFL’s officiating rule book.  The refs just rule it a TD every time and let it get overturned or not.  But what happens if the video evidence isn’t “irrefutable”?  The play stands as called.... even though it was basically a guess by the refs.  These calls should not have the “irrefutable” Standard.  The refs should still make a call on the field but the booth should be able to overturn it if it’s 51% likely it’s an incomplete.  Look at that plays review: only 1 camera angle (the last one btw) showed it was a incomplete.  If that camera man doesn’t do a very good job we lose that game.  Why are games being placed in the hands of cameramen

That's a really good point! It has looked all season like the default position is to just call a TD and pass the buck to the replay officials to sort it out.