Is This Offensive System Broken?

G08

I found myself wondering this a little while back and casually looked at the performance of different QBs in this Andy Reid West Coast Offense derivative. Let's see what QBs have produced in this style of offense. This will be regular season only.

• Patrick Mahomes: 66.1%, 97 TDs, 19 INTs, 8.5 YPA, 110.1 rating (years 1-4 of career)
  • Alex Smith: 65.1%, 102 TDs, 33 INTs, 7.2 YPA, 94.8 rating (years 9-13 of career)
  • Carson Wentz: 63.1%, 109 TDs, 47 INTs, 6.8 YPA, 90.1 rating (years 1-5 of career)
  • Mitch Trubisky: 64.3%, 47 TDs, 25 INTs, 6.7 YPA, 88.6 rating (years 2-4 of career)
  • Nick Foles: 65.9%, 26 TDs, 15 INTs, 6.4 YPA, 87.2 rating (years 5-9 of career)

Looking at the numbers, I see one elite performer and that is Patrick Mahomes. The next QB, surprisingly, was Alex Smith. Both of them learned under Andy Reid, which to me is imperitive to find success in this scheme. It is not easy to learn nor operate, from what I have heard former NFL QBs say/write.

Do we keep trucking foward with Nagy's offense? Or do we (hypothetically, as if we ran the team) tell him that he's a fine head coach but his offensive system is broken and he needs to bring an outside coach in to run THEIR offense?

I can't keep watching this garbage, I'm beyond sick of having a dog **** offense in a league that is tailored to scoring.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Looking at the numbers, I see one elite performer and that is Patrick Mahomes. The next QB, surprisingly, was Alex Smith. Both of them learned under Andy Reid, which to me is imperitive to find success in this scheme. It is not easy to learn nor operate, from what I have heard former NFL QBs say/write.

Do we keep trucking foward with Nagy's offense? Or do we (hypothetically, as if we ran the team) tell him that he's a fine head coach but his offensive system is broken and he needs to bring an outside coach in to run THEIR offense?

I can't keep watching this garbage, I'm beyond sick of having a dog **** offense in a league that is tailored to scoring.

This regime needs to be flushed.

3 years and this is what the produce on offense.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This regime needs to be flushed.

3 years and this is what the produce on offense.

I am hesitant to get rid of Nagy the head coach, but I am anxious to get rid of his offensive system.

Get me something off the Shanahan or McVay tree. 

Selfishly, I do love how Foles sucking is exposing Nagy and his offense. Feels like we let the kid down, though.

16 minutes ago, G08 said:

I am hesitant to get rid of Nagy the head coach, but I am anxious to get rid of his offensive system.

Get me something off the Shanahan or McVay tree. 

Selfishly, I do love how Foles sucking is exposing Nagy and his offense. Feels like we let the kid down, though.

Nagy the HC won't get rid of Nagy the play caller, if that is not obvious at this point I am not sure what to tell you.

Flush.

• Like 1

Flush the dang thing.  But it wont happen this year. Pace and Nagy will win enough to keep their jobs and when they play a tougher strength of schedule in 2021the team will creator win 4 games and they will be terminated on black Monday 2021.  If we get really lucky Ted Phillips will go and If God loves us when Virginia passes the estate tax will force the McCaskey’s to sell the team.  

6 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Hint: Most offensive systems break without a good QB.

Mitch Trubisky isn't a good QB. Nick Foles isn't a good QB. Everyone knew this before the season. It's funny that fans want to revise history to blame Nagy for them being bad.

Here's the thing, though: we were sold a fake bill of goods regarding Nick Foles, then. 

All the garbage about him knowing the system and blah blah blah, it has blown up in Nagy's face spectacularly.

Curious to see what McNabb's and Vick's Philly numbers look like also in comparison to those guys.

2 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Flush the dang thing.  But it wont happen this year. Pace and Nagy will win enough to keep their jobs and when they play a tougher strength of schedule in 2021the team will creator win 4 games and they will be terminated on black Monday 2021.  If we get really lucky Ted Phillips will go and If God loves us when Virginia passes the estate tax will force the McCaskey’s to sell the team.  

If that's the case then I really hope Lawrence stays in college another year and they tank for him in 2021. That's my pipedream scenario.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Curious to see what McNabb's and Vick's Philly numbers look like also in comparison to those guys.

If that's the case then I really hope Lawrence stays in college another year and they tank for him in 2021. That's my pipedream scenario.

It was a different spin of the offense way back then, but here's what I have for you:

McNabb: 59.0%, 234 TDs, 117 INTs, 6.9 YPA, 85.6 rating (years 1-11)

Vick: 59.5%,57 TDs, 33 INTs, 7.7 YPA, 87.7 rating (years 7-11) 

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Hint: Most offensive systems break without a good QB.

Mitch Trubisky isn't a good QB. Nick Foles isn't a good QB. Everyone knew this before the season. It's funny that fans want to revise history to blame Nagy for them being bad.

I agree. We all knew that Foles wasn't very good and that he caught lightning in a bottle back in that SB MVP run a few years ago. Not to take anything away from him...but that was not the norm for him. Just right place right time and h cashed in.

There was a reason he has bounced around several teams throughout his career.

I still believe he is serviceable enough to start, albeit behind a good OL, while they try and find their QB of the future...but as things stand right now it's incredibly painful to watch.

As for Mitch ...ya I was just hoping they gave him a bit of a longer leash. He may not have "it" but at least there was more excitement in watching him to see if he would improve somehow. With Foles you kind of know what you're getting and unless everything else around him is great then he's not going to be very productive.

Mitch has the athleticism to do better behind this piss poor OL. That's where I'm at. Not that I still think Mitch is our QB of the future. 

• Like 1