Is This Offensive System Broken?

G08

Just now, topwop1 said:

As for Mitch ...ya I was just hoping they gave him a bit of a longer leash. He may not have "it" but at least there was more excitement in watching him to see if he would improve somehow. With Foles you kind of know what you're getting and unless everything else around him is great then he's not going to be very productive.

Mitch has the athleticism to do better behind this piss poor OL. That's where I'm at. Not that I still think Mitch is our QB of the future. 

I'm with you 100% here, and we hardly agree on anything lol

• Like 1

Nagy seems to not have an identity that he bases the rest of the offense on. It's definitely partly a talent issue as the O line limits him and it's not like The Bears have Mahomes, but it also seems like Nagy thinks his identity is to be the smartest guy in the room. For example, Jimmy Graham is really good in the red zone. A normal person might think "try to get Jimmy Graham one-on-one in the end zone and give him a chance to make a play cause it's got a good chance of working." Nagy seems to think "people know that Jimmy Graham is good in the red zone and will think I'm going to try to get a favorable matchup with him, so i'm going to throw them for a loop by not even putting him on the field and running a short out with Anthony Miller." Or in short yardage, you might think that David Montgomery is our best short yardage back because he obviously is, so Nagy thinks "if I put Cordarrelle Patterson in there the defense would never guess that i'd run a toss sweep with him so it's sure to work!"

• Like 2

Troy Aikman announcing the game yesterday was every bear's fan inner monologue.

"Why do they keep running routes short of the sticks?"

"Why didn't foles step up into the pocket?"

"Why did he make that decision?"

"why is this offense taking it's time and running such short routes when they need yardage?"

"I just don't understand what is going on in this gameplan"

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Nagy seems to not have an identity that he bases the rest of the offense on. It's definitely partly a talent issue as the O line limits him and it's not like The Bears have Mahomes, but it also seems like Nagy thinks his identity is to be the smartest guy in the room. For example, Jimmy Graham is really good in the red zone. A normal person might think "try to get Jimmy Graham one-on-one in the end zone and give him a chance to make a play cause it's got a good chance of working." Nagy seems to think "people know that Jimmy Graham is good in the red zone and will think I'm going to try to get a favorable matchup with him, so i'm going to throw them for a loop by not even putting him on the field and running a short out with Anthony Miller." Or in short yardage, you might think that David Montgomery is our best short yardage back because he obviously is, so Nagy thinks "if I put Cordarrelle Patterson in there the defense would never guess that i'd run a toss sweep with him so it's sure to work!"

I agree with this but I don't know if that's Nagy's identity or if it's a product of lacking talent. It's hard to think of an "identity" he could build with this personnel.

• Like 1

So It's so bizarre how bad this offense is.  They've had 3 years to establish some sort of identity and all we can say about their identity  is that they consistently getworse every year, which is not something you want to be known for. 

I like Nagy as a leader, and will always be grateful for that fun 2018 season, but I think both he and Pace have to go and we should take any reasonable offer at the trade deadline.  

Nagy did lots of interesting things on offense in 2018, and looked like he was close to being a good playcaller. Now, whether it's because he's playing scared, frustrated by his personnel's execution or something else, it doesn't really matter. 3 years to build a system is enough. While there are often cool plays that get people open, they're often called at weird times. His time management and control of the game seem like they're coming from a random number generator.  He seems like such a cool guy, and keeps the team fighting, but the lack of discipline and sloppiness are incredible. They're halfway through the season, people should know where to line up, people should be held accountable.  I think the kicker for me is the continued residence of Coward on the line. He is terrible. It's a neat idea to try a project like that, but we're not getting Big Cat, we're literally getting a DL playing OL.

Pace really built a monster on D, and I've understood lots of his decisions across the board. I can forgive Trubisky, as he made sense at the time and Pace's opinion wasn't some crazy outlier idea. One miss-even one as huge as that-was something that could happen to any GM.  The backbreaker is how he approached this season on offense. I like the double down on TE, but the money is crazy for Graham.  I like Johnson at CB, he's awesome, I'm glad we got Mooney, but rolling this OL out there with Ifedi being the only "significant" add was incredibly risky.  We had 2 QBs that were probably going to be middlingish, and RB who hasn't really shown anything beyond "good" as a ceiling.  That demanded OL upgrades, and instead we got a patch and a whole lot of positive talk about Leno and some meat on Daniels. I think you could win with either Mitch or Foles behind an upgraded OL. Instead we have the same ol' OL, at least until they all get broken and now we surely have a bottom 3 line out there.  

Gah, I really wanted them to succeed but get these guys out of here. 

• Like 1

Per PFF since being inserted into starting lineup Rashaad Coward has given up the most pressures in the entire NFL. Surely there can't be a worse option on the team than him or can there?

I really hope they give Bars more of a look there or when Whitehair comes back put him at LG and leave Mustipher at C.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Per PFF since being inserted into starting lineup Rashaad Coward has given up the most pressures in the entire NFL. Surely there can't be a worse option on the team than him or can there?

I really hope they give Bars more of a look there or when Whitehair comes back put him at LG and leave Mustipher at C.

I agree - I know the alternatives don't have much pedigree, but it's probably time to see if they can play.

Systems isn't broken. Just a weak offensive cast paired with an offensive mind that struggles to adapt and prepare his players rarely will ever work well. 

I wanted to either for Alex Smith (his contract made it almost impossible for him to be traded) or Winston. Winston is a douchebag but has the best atm available, and Nagy could be mlm more conservative to limit the playcalling as opposed to when he was running Arians' system. I thought Foles would be better at protecting the ball, but... he really isn't.