2020 Week #9 GDT Steelers vs. Cowboys

Steeler Hitman

56 minutes ago, August4th said:

Nice post August4th, long overdue recognition. When he is healthy he is a force, kind of like the rest of the DL  starter 👏  He has set the tone with attitude and determination, others are following. I credit him for raising the defences level this season more than anything else. Sure other may have improved a bit and the scheme is suitable etc, but Tuitt is the reason the defence has got to the next level. 

• Like 1

where do you guys rank the steelers with the rest of the AFC atm? I know we are the only undefeated team, but I still have KC being better.

I'm almost getting "SB or bust" kinda vibes with this team tho, its a good sign that this team is undefeated without hitting its stride. if KC did not have a GOAT level QB in Pat, I would love our shot against that team and raven games will always be toss ups. those are the two teams in our way from going to the SB

24 minutes ago, August4th said:

where do you guys rank the steelers with the rest of the AFC atm? I know we are the only undefeated team, but I still have KC being better.

I'm almost getting "SB or bust" kinda vibes with this team tho, its a good sign that this team is undefeated without hitting its stride. if KC did not have a GOAT level QB in Pat, I would love our shot against that team and raven games will always be toss ups. those are the two teams in our way from going to the SB

At this point, I still view KC as the top until proven otherwise. Then probably us and the Ravens in a second tier. Then the Titans, Colts and Bills in a third tier. Probably in that written order too (KC, Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Colts, Bills -- Followed by some smashing of Raiders, Browns, and Chargers). 

I do view us as the most well balanced. I dont think KC's defense is that good, but because of Mahomes and that offenses ability they get to play one dimensional ball a lot. I just dont have a fear of Lamar -- and his two games against us show why. 

For me to consider us the top dog, I want to see our offense really start to flourish. Maybe that's letting Ben just take the reigns, but being fast paced is kinda counter to our defense. I dont know. You could talk me into KC being the best because of their great offense and pretty solid defense or talk me into the Steelers with our great defense and pretty solid offense. To me, feels like it comes down to gameflow if I had to pick one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, August4th said:

1. Steelers - - KC is still the SB Champs, but the Steelers are definitely trying to dethrone the champs.

2. KC - - Anyone can lose a game or two, but the Steelers haven't yet, so they are slightly ahead just based on record. This is still a very dangerous complete team.

3. Ravens - - Good coach, good players, good organization, they are still part of the cream of the crop. Not a team you want to see in January.

4. Titans - - Having some problems, but a slight letdown after two other close games and an emotional loss to the Steelers.  They can beat anyone.

5. Bills - - Reminds me of an even better version of the 2017 Jaguars (although 2020 defense not  nearly as as good as Jags that year), but overall as a team, better!. These guys can be a very tough out in the play-offs. Josh Allen is not quite the runner as Lamar, but his legs and arm seem to be a more deadly combination than just Lamar's legs.

6. Colts - - I like how this team is constructed and despite some ups and downs, they too can beat anyone on this list.

7. Raiders - - Old school type of team. I like what Coach "Chucky!" is doing with this team. Another good rushing team with a good OL.  They beat the world champs. Enough said.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

8. Browns - - Injuries hurting them, but they are playing like a solid play-off contender otherwise. If you under-estimate them, they will sneak up and beat you. Physical team.

9. Miami - - I didn't like the QB change, but this team is improving and has a ton of young talent due to trades and bad seasons. They may surprise and overtake someone if they are not careful. 

I'm almost getting "SB or bust" kinda vibes with this team tho, it's a good sign that this team is undefeated without hitting its stride. If KC did not have a GOAT level QB in Pat, I would love our shot against that team and Raven games will always be toss ups. Those are the two teams in our way from going to the SB

The SB has been the goal from the beginning of the year. We have some hungry players and some players who have something to prove. The Steelers will have to earn it each week. This team has been through some past adversity that may be helping them deal with some adversity and inconveniences and yet still win. To your point, they have not even played their best football consistently. Big difference between 2004 and 2020 is in 2004, they hit their stride mid-season and then faded. This team has not hit it yet! Hopefully come December and January we are scaring and intimidating some teams with our play on both sides of the ball.

53 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

At this point, I still view KC as the top until proven otherwise. Then probably us and the Ravens in a second tier. Then the Titans, Colts and Bills in a third tier. Probably in that written order too (KC, Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Colts, Bills -- Followed by some smashing of Raiders, Browns, and Chargers). 

I do view us as the most well balanced. I don't think KC's defense is that good, but because of Mahomes and that offenses ability they get to play one dimensional ball a lot. I just don't have a fear of Lamar -- and his two games against us show why. 

I agree that this Steelers team is pretty well balanced, but they have some areas to still improve upon. I would like to see a clear RB2 established as a solid change of pace. Ideally that would McFarland for me. His ability to use his speed and change of pace to Connor and Snell's smash-mouth style would really help this offense. Ideally he would be able to help this team run a successful screen pass! The offense could also use Vance more in the receiving game. He is still a very capable receiver and powerful TE. This guy is even better than "outlaw" when he was here. The offense just isn't using him and there are yards, receptions and maybe even TD's with him. Defensively, they just have to clean some stuff up. The play good for 8 of 10 plays. The two they miss are usually big plays. This is something that can be cleaned up.  Some back end mistakes in passing, I believe could e helped by allowing Sean Davis some reps. He is not Edmonds athletically, but he would be pretty formidable teamed with Minah in some situations with his intelligence and knowledge of the defense.

I don't think the Steelers fear Lamar or any one player or team, but you better darn well respect him.  He is a major reason the Ravens helped to run all over the Steelers. His legs, speed, and abilities can give a defense fits. Add two very good TE's, a trio of RB's and an OL that pushed us around in the first half and wore us down without two or three key starters. I am certainly not that cocky because we played two good defensive games against him. The coaching and Lamar will make adjustments, so we better be ready the next go round. 

For me to consider us the top dog, I want to see our offense really start to flourish. Maybe that's letting Ben just take the reigns, but being fast paced is kinda counter to our defense. I don't know. You could talk me into KC being the best because of their great offense and pretty solid defense or talk me into the Steelers with our great defense and pretty solid offense. To me, feels like it comes down to gameflow if I had to pick one. 

I think you are spot on here. When the Steelers play their game, they are tough for any team to beat. More often than not, they do things to beat themselves (turnovers, penalties, miscues, missed assignments) that result in changing game flow, momentum, down in distance, etc. Sometimes this team simply has to get out of its own way. When they are on it, they very tough to hang with in all four phases of the game (Offense, Defense, Special Teams, and Coaching). They are beating good teams, no very good teams, without playing their A game. That is what intrigues me about this team. They can be scary when they bring it all together.

• Like 1

I still have some questions related to his athleticism showing up on a full route tree and his ability to separate, but man -- he has been far and away better than I thought a rookie without any sort of real offseason could be in terms of his technical skills. His use of his hands, his selling of routes, his body control, his feet...all been well above where I thought he would be. 

Big things coming from this guy as an NFL player. 

I’m also much more impressed with Claypool that I expected to be. I’ll be honest I was not happy we took him with Dobbins on the board and Connor looking far from a long term plan, but he has had an impressive start as a rookie WR. I guess I’m old and expecting a WR to take 2-3 years to understand the game. I’m also impressed with his maturity, he’s taken his chances and really opened up the playbook. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I still have some questions related to his athleticism showing up on a full route tree and his ability to separate, but man -- he has been far and away better than I thought a rookie without any sort of real offseason could be in terms of his technical skills. His use of his hands, his selling of routes, his body control, his feet...all been well above where I thought he would be. 

He was always the good route runner in college but they generally kept him on short routes at ND.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, August4th said:

He is a rookie, he is mature and seems to be a humble guy thus far. Remember due to all this Covid-19 stuff no OTA, MC, TC, PSG's, and a lot of daily individual coaching.  That will come. He can do a lot more than what the report card said about him. College programs do things to help them win and get  to bowl games #1. Then they look to develop the player for the next level. I am not even sure that is #2, but is not as strong a consideration as winning and bringing money to the school's programs. I look forward to seeing how he develops between year one and year two. That's always a big test for rookies. 

I agree. I think this is going to be one of the better draft classes in the history of the franchise when all is said and done with trading for Minkah, Claypool, Highsmith, Dotson, and McFarland. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

He was always the good route runner in college but they generally kept him on short routes at ND.

Shame that they under-utilized so much talent.

Wednesday's injury report courtesy of Steelers Depot says that Cam Heyward was a full participant. 

Stefen Wisniewski was activated from the IR, but didn't practice. It will be nice getting Wiz back. In more good news, Derrick Watt was not even listed.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/steelers-wednesday-injury-report-week-9-mike-hilton-limited-cameron-heyward-not-listed/

week-9-2020-wednesday-injury-report.jpg

Its just finding the good in a bad situation, but tell me a better way to assess offseason moves than to see backup guys play?

Offensive line: Chuks and Dotson. DBs: Layne, Sutton (in the full time Nickle role). NT/DL: Buggs. ILB: Spillane. All guys impacting important decisions next year about Hilton, Aluala, Haden, Vince Williams, Villy, Feiler which will carry some significant cap space. Not including Highsmith for Dupree or Claypool for JuJu because I consider them a differnt category (1 totally gone, the other a hopeful back but dependent on a few things). I exclude RB completely because I think your best avenue is drafting one high and giving him the role. 

Lotta big decisions to be made, and we get to see the players that would help form those decisions get actual, real life game time snaps (and so far, they have been really good)