Minnesota --> Cleveland pipeline (trade deadline)

NudeTayne

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I disagree with that sentiment for two reasons. Firstly, moving Harris now opens up cap space this year which can be rolled into next year. The other reason being that a 4th this year is worth more than a 4th the following year, and the fact that the Vikings seem to be somewhat rebuilding that defense right now, I'd prefer to keep the rebuild process shorter rather than stretching it out.

Fair points. The team probably would move Harris for any 4th round pick this coming draft.

At this point I can't figure out what Spielman or the Vikings are thinking why they haven't started dumping players by now is beyond me. they don't have enough time now to move all the players they need to.

I want in the least a package of:

3 x 2nd rounds and a 3rd rounder

Or

2 x 1sts 

Willing to dump any player near 30 years old. 

5 minutes ago, Viking Penguin said:

At this point I can't figure out what Spielman or the Vikings are thinking why they haven't started dumping players by now is beyond me. they don't have enough time now to move all the players they need to.

There's 4 1/2 hrs left until the trade deadline.  You need to R-E-L-A-X.

If you ever thought they were going to move a bunch of players, your expectations were way too high.  The most they'll likely move is Reiff and/or Harris.  No one else is likely to be moved (Harrison/Thielen/Rudolph) because they bring more than just their play to the field.  They are valuable in the locker-room and on and off the field.  That clearly means a lot to the organization.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

There's 4 1/2 hrs left until the trade deadline.  You need to R-E-L-A-X.

If you ever thought they were going to move a bunch of players, your expectations were way too high.  The most they'll likely move is Reiff and/or Harris.  No one else is likely to be moved (Harrison/Thielen/Rudolph) because they bring more than just their play to the field.  They are valuable in the locker-room and on and off the field.  That clearly means a lot to the organization.  

Then we suffer for eternity. Loyalty = losing. I want the best LT or a cheap one, best QB or cheap one, and on and on. I would accumulate as many picks in this draft as possible. I think we should blow it up. Anyone over 25 is out, unless its cost friendly allstar.  

Where has Rudolf and Theilen led us. Heartache for me. I've had enough, I want new players throughout. Keep the young guys and Jeffferson and Irv Smith can lead with Cook.

18 minutes ago, Viking Penguin said:

Then we suffer for eternity. Loyalty = losing. I want the best LT or a cheap one, best QB or cheap one, and on and on. I would accumulate as many picks in this draft as possible. I think we should blow it up. Anyone over 25 is out, unless its cost friendly allstar.  

Where has Rudolf and Theilen led us. Heartache for me. I've had enough, I want new players throughout. Keep the young guys and Jeffferson and Irv Smith can lead with Cook.

Would you trade Adam for a 4th round pick?

2 hours ago, Viking Penguin said:

Like right now the thinking is hey let's sacrifice the future of a dynasty and Trevor Lawrence so we can have a retirement party over here for Kyle Rudolph and Adam thielen good job guys

Have a snickers.

• Like 1

Where is this "dynasty" supposed to come from?  In 31 years, only Troy Aikman and the Mannings have won Super Bowls as the #1 overall pick at the QB position (20 QBs have been selected #1 overall in that time).  Sacrificing a bunch of veteran players in the hopes of creating a dynasty is more than likely a fruitless endeavor and far more likely to cause damage than any success.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Viking Penguin said:

I hear your frustration, and part of me shares in it.  I've been a fan of the team since 1968.  There has been a lot of heartache suffered with the promise of "wait 'til next year."

The other part of me needs to deal with the reality of the NFL.  There's no longer player loyalty to teams, because teams aren't loyal to players.  Football players are a commodity to ownership to 1) put butts in the seats, while buying team merchandise; and then 2) try and win a championship.

Some players that are still productive, but slipping (Theilen, Rudolph, Smith) yet are kept around because they are fan favorites.  I do believe that Bill Belichick is correct...you trade a player a while they are productive, but maybe are towards the end of their contracts or careers.  It's frustrating to see players you idolize playing for other teams, but the Vikings Hall of Famers Page, Eller, Randle, McDaniel, et al...who didn't end their careers playing for the Vikings.  But that's the reality of the modern NFL.  Still, many owners would rather keep fan favorites as long as possible to fill seats and keep buying merchandise.

16 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

How exactly are Thielen and Smith slipping? Rudolph I see the argument but TE's don't seem to be targeted as much as they have in the past.

And Rudolph's contract is far easier dealt with next year rather than dealing him right now.  Right now he has a $12M dead cap money...it's only $4M next season.  In fact, his dead cap money is higher than the salary he's being paid.  It wouldn't make much sense to deal him.  The same is true for Thielen.