Jimmy Garoppolo is expected to be sidelined indefinitely

NcFinest9erFan

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Kirk Cousins is about to be our QB finally lol 

I'm ok with it if its like a decent deal to compete with a highly drafted (minimum first 2 rounds) rookie 

If its top starter money to be our unquestioned starter i'm going to scream

Just now, 49ersfan said:

I'm ok with it if its like a decent deal to compete with a highly drafted (minimum first 2 rounds) rookie 

If its top starter money to be our unquestioned starter i'm going to scream

The thing that worries me about Cousins is that he knows how to play the market and get his worth. But I'm with you...landing him at a cheaper deal, I'm good with. Landing him at the top of the market is preposterous. So if we sign him, it better be 15-20 million so we can shave money from Jimmy. 

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

STOP

It's not a bad thing, especially if Cousins is cheaper. I'd do that all day. If we trade for him, he saves about 4.5 million compared to what we pay Jimmy. It's not a lot, but if Shanny thinks he's a better QB (which is not at all unreasonable), I could see that making a ton of sense. If the vikings cut him (also possible), we could theoretically get him cheaper. 

We trade for Cousins, trade Jimmy to New England or something. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rf54 said:

The Vikings don't have the cap space to cut Cousins, if the 9ers want him they would have to trade for him. It wouldn't take much if you believe Vikings fans.

It's not a real problem, though I agree that trading him is easily possible and the most likely scenario. If they want to cut him before June 1, it's a pretty easy fix to get under the 10 million they would need to. Cutting Anthony Barr is most of that and I'd almost guarantee that happens. Harrison Smith is on the last year of his deal and can be extended, or they can move him (which they may do if they are moving on from Cousins) as he has no dead money. They can also use a June 1 cut on Cousins and they would push out the overage to the following year and it would not hit the Vikings for more than he would cost. 

They screwed up in the way they constructed that contract. His 2022 salary guarantees on the third day of 2021, and other teams may not want to take on a fully guaranteed 35 million for 2022 and I have to imagine that the Vikings almost certainly don't want that. 

That being said, I could easily see Zimmer and company just be stubborn as hell and ride it out with him. 

Maybe a not-so-crazy idea: Let Shanahan pick his QB of the future in the draft (assuming that QB exists and is available when we pick) and sign Alex Smith (likely to be released by WAS) to compete with Mullins to be a stop-gap starter. Smith could probably learn the playbook quickly and has a quick release.