Jimmy Garoppolo is expected to be sidelined indefinitely

NcFinest9erFan

41 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Maybe a not-so-crazy idea: Let Shanahan pick his QB of the future in the draft (assuming that QB exists and is available when we pick) and sign Alex Smith (likely to be released by WAS) to compete with Mullins to be a stop-gap starter. Smith could probably learn the playbook quickly and has a quick release.

I’m pretty sure Kyle hates rookie QB’s. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I’m pretty sure Kyle hates rookie QB’s. 

I'm sure he hates the idea of starting a rookie QB right away, but why would he hate the idea of handpicking and grooming someone who could excel in his system? He liked Beathard enough to draft him on day 2. If a QB is available at our pick and Shanahan thinks he could be a star, do you still think Shanahan wouldn't draft him because he "hates rookie QBs"?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, struby3 said:

I'm sure he hates the idea of starting a rookie QB right away, but why would he hate the idea of handpicking and grooming someone who could excel in his system? He liked Beathard enough to draft him on day 2. If a QB is available at our pick and Shanahan thinks he could be a star, do you still think Shanahan wouldn't draft him because he "hates rookie QBs"?

In fairness, I don't think we had a single QB on the roster at that point lol. 

8 hours ago, struby3 said:

I was being slightly facetious but I’m really not sure if he would pick a QB he liked right now. I think in a “rebuild” he would, but I think since were in a championship window, he would rather address other positional needs through the draft than risk picking someone who might not see the field. I mean, we we’re in a rebuild in 16 and his reasons for not picking a QB in 16 are..understandable (might kill a rookie QB), but apparently/allegedly, he didn’t do very much if any scouting of QBs because his mind was made up on Cousins.

So I don’t know. I hope you’re right. I love Shanny and I think he’s a damn good coach but  I’m very suspicious of him as a talent evaluator and that pertains to the QB position as well. 

edit: full disclosure I was against taking a QB in 16 and wanted Jamal Adams. 

Edited by John232
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, John232 said:

I was being slightly facetious but I’m really not sure if he would pick a QB he liked right now. I think in a “rebuild” he would, but I think since were in a championship window, he would rather address other positional needs through the draft than risk picking someone who might not see the field. I mean, we we’re in a rebuild in 16 and his reasons for not picking a QB in 16 are..understandable (might kill a rookie QB), but apparently/allegedly, he didn’t do very much if any scouting of QBs because his mind was made up on Cousins.

So I don’t know. I hope you’re right. I love Shanny and I think he’s a damn good coach but  I’m very suspicious of him as a talent evaluator and that pertains to the QB position as well. 

idk if I was against taking a QB but I knew we were taking Trubisky. As great as Deshaun is/was, I knew we weren't going to go after him as well. I just think Kyle has Rg3 nightmares when he thought about Watson.

10 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

idk if I was against taking a QB but I knew we were taking Trubisky. As great as Deshaun is/was, I knew we weren't going to go after him as well. I just think Kyle has Rg3 nightmares when he thought about Watson.

I mean I was against as in I more or less agreed that a QB was going to get killed on that team. But if we did go QB I wanted it to be Watson. But I really wasn’t high ok any of them and had suspicions about all of them. 

but yeah, I think Kyle had a very bad taste in his mouth and I think Watson has a style that does not sit well with him. 

I wanted Adams because by all accounts, he was elite as a prospect but was also getting hyped as a culture changer, that was sort of the tipping point for me. I also would have been fine with Hooker or Lattimore.

but still expected Solly and I didn’t hate that..just thought he could become what he became.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, John232 said:

I mean how are we really in a championship window? Those usually revolve around a QB on a rookie contract or having an elite QB in general. We don't. We have some decent pieces to a team. Bosa and Kittle could be bandied about as in the top tiers of there positions but other than that?  Next year we are going to have to completely rebuild the secondary, and there are gaping holes on the O-line. I'm not sure if I'm being pessimistic or just don't see what everyone else sees. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Honestly don't see how we are in a championship window(other than having a good coaching staff and when healthy a really talented roster). Almost all of the main building blocks are still young. We are near the end of a rebuild and while we got to the Superbowl last year it was only year 3 of a pretty big rebuild. I get after getting to the superbowl we as fans expect to stay around that level but the core of this team will be here for the future if we want too. Honestly this to me is a perfect time to go for a rookie QB. Yeah we need to shore up the O-line but in terms of weapons we have a ton in place for a young guy to come in. Also cutting Jimmy in a year the cap goes down gives us a ton of room to retain the guys we want and maybe even add one or two rotational pieces. 

12 hours ago, struby3 said:

Maybe a not-so-crazy idea: Let Shanahan pick his QB of the future in the draft (assuming that QB exists and is available when we pick) and sign Alex Smith (likely to be released by WAS) to compete with Mullins to be a stop-gap starter. Smith could probably learn the playbook quickly and has a quick release.

That leg looks so freaky! I cannot help but stare at that thing. I do like Alex, but I really think he needs to call it a career.

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

I mean how are we really in a championship window? Those usually revolve around a QB on a rookie contract or having an elite QB in general. We don't. We have some decent pieces to a team. Bosa and Kittle could be bandied about as in the top tiers of there positions but other than that?  Next year we are going to have to completely rebuild the secondary, and there are gaping holes on the O-line. I'm not sure if I'm being pessimistic or just don't see what everyone else sees. 

How would the bold be any different than it is now?! 

I mean, I think we're in a Championship Window to some degree OBVIOUSLY not this year, but next year I could see the mindset shifting that way again. , That said,  we are no where near having to rebuild. We have to figure out our financial situation big time, but we have plenty of talent. 

Warner
Greenlaw
Mostert
Juice
Kittle
Bosa
Deebo
Aiyuk
McGlinchey (yes, I still think he's a + asset)
Kinlaw
Armstead

Then there's some talented guys who are in limbo
Ku'ann
Mosley
Tartt
Ward
Trent Williams
Bourne
Ford

I agree, a Rookie QB would be route from a savings and potential standpoint but I think the odds of it reducing our ability to compete is greater than if we just roll out another veteran. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John232 said:

I mean, I think we're in a Championship Window to some degree OBVIOUSLY not this year, but next year I could see the mindset shifting that way again. , That said,  we are no where near having to rebuild. We have to figure out our financial situation big time, but we have plenty of talent. 

Warner
Greenlaw
Mostert
Juice
Kittle
Bosa
Deebo
Aiyuk
McGlinchey (yes, I still think he's a + asset)
Kinlaw
Armstead

Then there's some talented guys who are in limbo
Ku'ann
Mosley
Tartt
Ward
Trent Williams
Bourne
Ford

I agree, a Rookie QB would be route from a savings and potential standpoint but I think the odds of it reducing our ability to compete is greater than if we just roll out another veteran. 

There is no reason not to bring back Moseley. He's a pretty sound corner that on most Sunday's will do very well. 

I want Trent back.

Tartt will be gone. Ward? I think he stays but who knows.

Hope K'waun returns but he could get a big deal elsewhere. One of the best at his position.

I'd add Sherman to the list of players in limbo.

• Like 3