Jimmy Garoppolo is expected to be sidelined indefinitely

NcFinest9erFan

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I mean, I think we're in a Championship Window to some degree OBVIOUSLY not this year, but next year I could see the mindset shifting that way again. , That said,  we are no where near having to rebuild. We have to figure out our financial situation big time, but we have plenty of talent. 

Warner
Greenlaw
Mostert
Juice
Kittle
Bosa
Deebo
Aiyuk
McGlinchey (yes, I still think he's a + asset)
Kinlaw
Armstead

Then there's some talented guys who are in limbo
Ku'ann
Mosley
Tartt
Ward
Trent Williams
Bourne
Ford

I agree, a Rookie QB would be route from a savings and potential standpoint but I think the odds of it reducing our ability to compete is greater than if we just roll out another veteran. 

I agree we have plenty of talent, I think the thought process I have is the buying trades we have been doing have killed us financially and hamstrung us draftwise too. Last year was a special year and maybe if Bosa doesn't go down week 2 I am thinking differently but I do see plenty of places that could use improvement too. I'm all aboard the have a vet qb like I was discussing last night on Slack. The phrasing of the championship window thing threw me a bit too I guess. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Question for you salary cap wizards...

I'm looking at Matt Ryan and a potential move to SF.

If they trade him June 1, they lose 17 mill in dead money but gain 23 in cap so a net of 6 mill?

Now if we trade for him in march/april, are we able to designate his trade as a june 1 trade or no?

You can't trade a player and designate them a june 1 trade. If the trade happens before june 1, cap ramifications are based on that. if it's after june 1, you also can't designate it a pre june 1 trade and take all the dead money that year. 

For them, they can trade him right away and basically eat all the money immediately. It costs like 3M more to trade him than keep him, so they may not do it (espeically given they are already a projected 25 million over the expected cap, so it could be difficult to get there), but if they land a QB in the draft, they may do a hard, hard reboot at that point. They can trade him after June 1, and split the dead money between the two years (actually saving like 17 next year), but may not be that desirable for a team acquiring Ryan to do so that late. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

You can't trade a player and designate them a june 1 trade. If the trade happens before june 1, cap ramifications are based on that. if it's after june 1, you also can't designate it a pre june 1 trade and take all the dead money that year. 

For them, they can trade him right away and basically eat all the money immediately. It costs like 3M more to trade him than keep him, so they may not do it (espeically given they are already a projected 25 million over the expected cap, so it could be difficult to get there), but if they land a QB in the draft, they may do a hard, hard reboot at that point. They can trade him after June 1, and split the dead money between the two years (actually saving like 17 next year), but may not be that desirable for a team acquiring Ryan to do so that late. 

Unless he's going to a HC and a system he has familiarity with 🤔

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Unless he's going to a HC and a system he has familiarity with 🤔

Yeah, but thats also where it gets complicated even for us, because we have to make moves before that. May be hard to navigate around an unknown. Maybe the teams unofficially agree to a post june 1 trade beforehand? That's risky...pretty sure it's not allowed, but can probably be done. 

My guess is that if Shanny wants Ryan, he'll get him before june 1 and the Falcons will just eat the additional 3.5 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 7:51 AM, Ftn49 said:

I mean how are we really in a championship window? Those usually revolve around a QB on a rookie contract or having an elite QB in general. We don't. We have some decent pieces to a team. Bosa and Kittle could be bandied about as in the top tiers of there positions but other than that?  Next year we are going to have to completely rebuild the secondary, and there are gaping holes on the O-line. I'm not sure if I'm being pessimistic or just don't see what everyone else sees. 

We are in a championship window, but having an elite QB means your championship window is perpetually open. 

Not having a franchise QB means your window is very short 

We need a damn franchise QB. It's worth taking someone to sit on the bench for a year if they are going to be really good in 2 years. It's time 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 4:37 PM, Forge said:

Yeah, but thats also where it gets complicated even for us, because we have to make moves before that. May be hard to navigate around an unknown. Maybe the teams unofficially agree to a post june 1 trade beforehand? That's risky...pretty sure it's not allowed, but can probably be done. 

My guess is that if Shanny wants Ryan, he'll get him before june 1 and the Falcons will just eat the additional 3.5 

What is the trade cost to go get Matt Ryan? He's not the same player he was a few seasons ago and has even more talent now. 2nd round pick? Swap picks?

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

What is the trade cost to go get Matt Ryan? He's not the same player he was a few seasons ago and has even more talent now. 2nd round pick? Swap picks?

You're definitely giving up at least a first. You can't get around that. Atlanta has no reason to move him. Before June 1, it costs them more to trade him than it does to keep him, so they aren't going to do it just to do it. I do believe, however, that this trade likely wouldn't happen until after the draft. We aren't giving up a top 12 pick for Matt Ryan in this upcoming draft. But would we give up a 2022 first round pick for Ryan? Absolutely. The thought would be that would be a very late pick. 

That may be all you have to give up though because I don't know how many teams are in that market. There are a few, but if you wait to make the move, that will dry up 

On 11/3/2020 at 11:15 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

There is no reason not to bring back Moseley. He's a pretty sound corner that on most Sunday's will do very well. 

I want Trent back.

Tartt will be gone. Ward? I think he stays but who knows.

Hope K'waun returns but he could get a big deal elsewhere. One of the best at his position.

I'd add Sherman to the list of players in limbo.

I agree with all of this. K'waun probably wont be back.

I think we negotiate with Sherman because the longer he is out, the less likely he is to get any money from anyone else. At this point, we should just not play him at all, but my guess is we see him week 16 and 17. 

Ward will probably stay. We dont like moore for whatever reason, or else he would be playing over marcell harris. The fact harris was playing the single high in cover 1 when ward was manned up on adams underneath speaks volumes to me. Either thats just straight up incompetence from Saleh (possible), or moore maybe doesnt practice well or whatever. 

There will definitely be some overhaul, which is just reason number 3,489,034 why these injuries suck majorly 

26 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Our problems are all over folks!

Like, why? This is the stupid crap that I really don't understand from NFL teams sometimes. Josh Johnson is not a thing. He's 34 years old. You're not getting anything here. Why not just sign someone off another teams practice squad so that you can at least get a look at someone that may have a future with the team, even if it's a very small likelihood? 

See about Josh Rosen. Check out Jake Browning. Nate Stanley. Hell, bring back Broc Rutter. Steven Montez. 

Is the goal really to have Josh Johnson play / start? Come on. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Like, why? This is the stupid crap that I really don't understand from NFL teams sometimes. Josh Johnson is not a thing. He's 34 years old. You're not getting anything here. Why not just sign someone off another teams practice squad so that you can at least get a look at someone that may have a future with the team, even if it's a very small likelihood? 

See about Josh Rosen. Check out Jake Browning. Nate Stanley. Hell, bring back Broc Rutter. Steven Montez. 

It feels like he's been kicking around the league for 20 years haha. I agree, there is no upside in this signing. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Completely agree. Total head scratcher if this turns out to be true.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

If we sign Rosen, what'll most likely happen is he sits for a couple of weeks. When he eventually comes in he's going to have half the weapons we normally have and get demolished by our OL, looking average at best in the process. Then, we'll draft a QB in the 1st round, or trade a 1st rounder for Matt Ryan or Matt Stafford, and cut Rosen immediately. At that point, his career is done 

Or, he could stay with TB for 2 years, continue growing, and have a decent shot with some continuity after Brady retires 

Rosen likely knows this too, so yeah. 

I have no clue who the other guys are, but yeah, maybe they're worth a shot. 

I'm in favour of completely resetting the QB room next offseason regardless. All i want is a QB that's decent enough to let our offense actually function somewhat competently. I thought that could be Mullens, but he's struggling far too much this season to even have faith as a backup 

Edited by 49ersfan