Defensive Coordinator Search

Joe

On 12/16/2020 at 11:24 AM, CWood21 said:

The Steelers are starting two former FRPs, and a SRP on their DL.  They're currently playing 75% (Stephon Tuitt), 40% (Tyson Alualu), and 83% (Cameron Heyward) of their defensive snaps.  Comparatively, the Packers have Kenny Clark (53%, 1st Round Pick), Dean Lowry (57%, 4th Round Pick), Kinglsey Keke (44%, 5th Round Pick), and Tyler Lancaster (35%, UDFA).  The Steelers haven't developed their IDL better, they've simply invested in it more.  The Packers just really have half-arsed their efforts to fortify their IDL.  If you subscribe to Planet Theory, the Packers need to.  Going back to 2009 (when we switched to a 3-4 defense), the Packers have used 7 picks on IDL in the first 3 rounds.  However, since 2014, that number is a measly 2 (Kenny Clark and Montravius Adams).

that's why their front-7 is better than ours. Seriously, you'd rather have our IDL than theirs?

If I was a defensive coordinator, I would run a 4-3 defense and go with my base defense on at least 50% of the plays.  I would get bigger than typical DL, smaller than typical off ball LBs.

Get me a couple safety/ILB hybrids.

Have my corners playing press man coverage and have my linebackers playing predominantly zone.

There are just way too many quarterbacks capable of killing a team with their legs.  Hurts, Murray, Tua, Wilson, Watson, Jackson, Mahomes...

But I hate the idea of zone coverage across the board, so I’d predominantly have the linebackers keeping an eye on the QB with a bigger DL hopefully capable of keeping them clean in the running game.

If a blitz is defined by sending 5, I would blitz on at least 70% of defensive plays.  Except for maybe one play in key situations, nobody over 240 pounds is in pass coverage.  

This is what I do in Madden.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If I was a defensive coordinator, I would run a 4-3 defense and go with my base defense on at least 50% of the plays.  I would get bigger than typical DL, smaller than typical off ball LBs.

Have my corners playing press man coverage and have my linebackers playing predominantly zone.

There are just way too many quarterbacks capable of killing a team with their legs.  Hurts, Murray, Tua, Wilson, Watson, Jackson, Mahomes...

But I hate the idea of zone coverage across the board, so I’d predominantly have the linebackers keeping an eye on the QB with a bigger DL hopefully capable of keeping them clean in the running game.

If a blitz is defined by sending 5, I would blitz on at least 70% of defensive plays.  Except for maybe one play in key situations, nobody over 240 pounds is in pass coverage.  

If it works in Madden .. I'm in for your thought process on D in real time. 

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm glad you're not the GB DC then.