Defensive Coordinator Search

Joe

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Ha this suggestion is based solely on 2 years ago watching Gardner Johnson games.

Buut some of the better defenses are being coached by guys who wore out their welcome at their previous spots. See Bowles, Todd.

Bowles was always a good coordinator though. Some guys just aren't cut out for HC jobs.

I just don't like Todd Grantham. Never been impressed by his schemes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I would love to know if Gutey, et al, are seriously considering moving on from Pettine after this season (I doubt something will happen until February unless things get even worse).

MLF sounded pretty annoyed and like he was just about done with Pettine in the presser. Wouldn’t be shocked at all if we move on from him at the end of the season or even before that if SF who has $80 million of their cap on IR right now has their way with our defense again. 

2 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

MLF sounded pretty annoyed and like he was just about done with Pettine in the presser. Wouldn’t be shocked at all if we move on from him at the end of the season or even before that if SF who has $80 million of their cap on IR right now has their way with our defense again. 

I'm glad MFL was annoyed.  I didn't see his presser.  I almost (well, almost) want SF, who is a shell of its normal self, to kick our defense around just to get rid of this clown.  😬

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Joe said:

We have unanimously come to the conclusion that Pettine needs to go. Pettine's scheme does not work with our personnel and Gutey has proven time and again that he's disinterested in investing in the IDL. Instead, like TT before him, he would rather win games in shootouts with a bend-don't-break defense. Pettine's scheme is also quickly becoming obsolete much like Dom's scheme became as such during the 2011 season. One would hope that MLF would lobby for a change at the end of the season if not before. With Winston Moss out the door, that removes any chance that Moss, who was waiting in the wings under MM forever, would assume the role of DC. 

In the spirit of not bringing in a retread, it would behoove us to look for the next fresh defensive mind. These potential candidates are not listed in any order of preference by myself. Obviously, feel free to add your own suggestions.

1. Drew Wilkins, OLB coach, Baltimore Ravens: Wilkins began working with the DL roughly 10 years ago and has been a staple on the Baltimore coaching staff moving over to OLB just this year. His bio suggests he works primarily with the EDGE players, but his work with the DL is more notable. Wilkins would be adept to working with older and more experienced coaches that would be retained from Pettine's staff.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/coaches-roster/drew-wilkins

2. Kris Kocurek, DL coach, San Francisco 49ers: You would think that I would go with Johnny Holland here and I wouldn't mind the nod given his reputation, but Kocurek is also a former player that has quietly worked his way up the coaching ranks. Kocurek  is very similar to our offensive line staff in that he can take a player drafted in practically any round, or UDFA, and make them starter material in a short hurry.  Like Wilkins, Kocurek has over a decade of experience in the league.

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/kris-kocurek

3. DeMeco Ryans, LB coach, San Francisco 49ers: Many of us remember Ryans as a stellar ILB with the Eagles during his prime, but what many do not know is that Ryans has been very active in youth football sponsoring and hosting numerous camps in his home state of Alabama and elsewhere. Ryans has fewer years of coaching experience compared to the first two, but his organizational skills and experience should make him a prime candidate for the job. As a player, Ryans had excellent vision for his position and today he would surely be wearing the green dot on his helmet.

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/demeco-ryans

4. Eric Henderson, DL coach, Los Angeles Rams: Henderson is credited for developing and strengthening one of the most solid DL's in football. Prior to joining the Rams last season, Henderson served in the same capacity for the Los Angeles Chargers the previous two years. Henderson is a rapidly ascending coach having moved directly to the Chargers from UTSA where he prepared Marcus Davenport to be a first round pick. Henderson's approach would be an excellent fit for Kenny Clark as well.

https://www.therams.com/team/coaches-roster/eric-henderson

Fire away!

My problem with some of these is they simply got loaded up with great talent at their position... which is exactly what we're missing. If Pettine had DL talent as good of some of these guys, then we probably wouldn't be complaining as much.

That being said, if the Broncos (hot head Jon Elway running it), fire Vic Fangio, I'm probably looking towards him. 

Also I wouldn't mind looking at the Ravens coach you mentioned, he hasn't always had the best players, and I'd be interested in the Ravens scheme, though the Packers seemed to get more out of Z than the Ravens did.

I made a list after we lost to the 49ers in the playoffs.

Wade Phillips - on same staff with LaFleur at Rams.  However at 72 years old it would go against LaFleur's youth movement if his coaching hires is anything to go by.

Kris Richard - coached in Seattle with LaFleur's old boss Dan Quinn and Robert Saleh. He's a big name candidate and is very available. He will definitely be on the radar.

Joe Woods - naturally because of his connection to Shanahan, Saleh and Morris. Has previous coordinating experience - definitely one to keep an eye on.

Raheem Morris - unless he is fired by the Falcons he's currently not an option for LaFleur but has strong history with LaFleur at Redskins and Falcons, and with Shanahan at Tampa.

Jim Leonard - Only because he is familiar with Pettine's scheme and he might be able to build upon the foundations laid down by Pettine.

Jeff Ulbrich - Another Falcons connection with LaFleur. Currently Assistant Head coach/Linebackers coach for Falcons. Dark Horse candidate.

Richard Smith - Was coordinator at Houston when LaFleur was there as assistant. Coordinator again at Falcons when LaFleur was QB coach. Currently Chargers LB coach.

Greg Manusky- vast coordinating experience, worked with McVay. No direct connection to LaFleur.

Joe Barry - LB coach at Rams with LaFleur, currently assistant head coach/LB coach. Worked with Shanahan at Tampa way back in 2004. Had 2 previous coordinator gigs at Lions and Redskins.

Frank Bush - another name that keeps popping up. Worked with both LaFleur and Shanahan. Was coordinator at Houston. Been assistant head coach/LB coach for the last 3 years with Miami and Jets.

Lou Spanos - currently coordinator at UConn. On staff with LaFleur at Redskins. Was at Titans but missed each other by a year.

Perry Fewell - Experienced coach with coordinating experience at Bills and Giants. Worked with McVay at Redskins but no direct connection to LaFleur.

Aubrey Pleasant - DB coach at Rams, knows LaFleur from Rams and Redskins.

Marquand Manuel - Former Packer. He was on same staff as LaFleur at Atlanta in 2015. Was coordinator at Falcons before being fired in 2018. Unlikely candidate for coordinator though.

Johnny Holland - a name older Packers fans should recognise. Worked alongside both LaFleur and Shanahan. Now 54 years old, not sure if he has the chops to be coordinator.

DeMeco Ryans - Was playing at Houston when LaFleur and Shanahan was there. Shanahan brought him to 49ers as ILB coach. Now completing his 2nd season as ILB coach it might be too soon for him to step up to coordinator. Still only 35.

Tyrone McKenzie - very familar with LaFleur from Rams and Titans but probably too early for him to take the next step up to coordinator.

Jim Haslett - was Redskins coordinator when LaFleur was QB coach. I suspect he's retired otherwise he would've joined McCarthy at Cowboys.

Of course Dan Quinn would be another name to add to the list. It wouldn't surprise me though if LaFleur hires someone who he has no prior connection with. He done it before with several members of his staff. People like Chris Hewitt (Baltimore), Eric Washington (Buffalo),  Teryl Austin (Pittsburgh),  Alan Williams (Indianapolis), Larry Foote (Tampa) are possible candidates.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Beast said:

I wouldn't mind looking at the Ravens coach you mentioned, he hasn't always had the best players, and I'd be interested in the Ravens scheme, though the Packers seemed to get more out of Z than the Ravens did.

That's exactly why I'm looking at him. He has connections with Z, he's been in a solid and stable scheme for his entire career as a professional coach under excellent mentors, and he's still fairly young. Bring the scheme, let Z be the leader he is, and retool that IDL around Kenny.

--- @Chili

I thought about Pleasant and Manuel as well. Haslett's a retread as are Morris and Philips.

6 hours ago, Pugger said:

I'm glad MFL was annoyed.  I didn't see his presser.  I almost (well, almost) want SF, who is a shell of its normal self, to kick our defense around just to get rid of this clown.  😬

I too am cheering for this...

6 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Whatever Defensive coordinator replaces Petrine, I just hope they keep Mike Smith. Love that guy

and Jerry Gray.

----

I forgot about Jim Leonhard, my bad. However, is he going to want to leave a rather cushy job at UW? I think we'd have to pony up some real money for him TBH. I looked at some of the older guys on the Tennessee, LA Rams, Seahawks, Steelers, and Philly coaching rosters but nobody really stood out to me outside a few retreads which we obviously don't want.

Edited by Joe

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I would take Capers over Pettine in a heartbeat.

Capers never had EDGE talent as good as Z and P.  Not once while he was here.  His best EDGE duo in his career here was Matthews and old Peppers.

Peppers/Clay/Perry was better than what we have RN

There isn't a Bielsa out there (Leeds United is killing English soccer given their wage bill right now with crazy schematics). This scheme looks like its killing us, so yes, Pettine sucks, but I would probably shift the discussion to getting a 3 tech worth a crap. I am literally generally surprised when an offense doesn't go full tilt to run it down our throats (seems like some sort of pride thing at some point). 

10 hours ago, Pugger said:

If we get soundly thrashed by San Fran in the same way as last year, I vote to fire him the day after the game.  John Kunz was on a radio show and pretty much called them "soft".

6 hours ago, Chili said:

I made a list after we lost to the 49ers in the playoffs.

Wade Phillips - on same staff with LaFleur at Rams.  However at 72 years old it would go against LaFleur's youth movement if his coaching hires is anything to go by.

Kris Richard - coached in Seattle with LaFleur's old boss Dan Quinn and Robert Saleh. He's a big name candidate and is very available. He will definitely be on the radar.

Joe Woods - naturally because of his connection to Shanahan, Saleh and Morris. Has previous coordinating experience - definitely one to keep an eye on.

Raheem Morris - unless he is fired by the Falcons he's currently not an option for LaFleur but has strong history with LaFleur at Redskins and Falcons, and with Shanahan at Tampa.

Jim Leonard - Only because he is familiar with Pettine's scheme and he might be able to build upon the foundations laid down by Pettine.

Jeff Ulbrich - Another Falcons connection with LaFleur. Currently Assistant Head coach/Linebackers coach for Falcons. Dark Horse candidate.

Richard Smith - Was coordinator at Houston when LaFleur was there as assistant. Coordinator again at Falcons when LaFleur was QB coach. Currently Chargers LB coach.

Greg Manusky- vast coordinating experience, worked with McVay. No direct connection to LaFleur.

Joe Barry - LB coach at Rams with LaFleur, currently assistant head coach/LB coach. Worked with Shanahan at Tampa way back in 2004. Had 2 previous coordinator gigs at Lions and Redskins.

Frank Bush - another name that keeps popping up. Worked with both LaFleur and Shanahan. Was coordinator at Houston. Been assistant head coach/LB coach for the last 3 years with Miami and Jets.

Lou Spanos - currently coordinator at UConn. On staff with LaFleur at Redskins. Was at Titans but missed each other by a year.

Perry Fewell - Experienced coach with coordinating experience at Bills and Giants. Worked with McVay at Redskins but no direct connection to LaFleur.

Aubrey Pleasant - DB coach at Rams, knows LaFleur from Rams and Redskins.

Marquand Manuel - Former Packer. He was on same staff as LaFleur at Atlanta in 2015. Was coordinator at Falcons before being fired in 2018. Unlikely candidate for coordinator though.

Johnny Holland - a name older Packers fans should recognise. Worked alongside both LaFleur and Shanahan. Now 54 years old, not sure if he has the chops to be coordinator.

DeMeco Ryans - Was playing at Houston when LaFleur and Shanahan was there. Shanahan brought him to 49ers as ILB coach. Now completing his 2nd season as ILB coach it might be too soon for him to step up to coordinator. Still only 35.

Tyrone McKenzie - very familar with LaFleur from Rams and Titans but probably too early for him to take the next step up to coordinator.

Jim Haslett - was Redskins coordinator when LaFleur was QB coach. I suspect he's retired otherwise he would've joined McCarthy at Cowboys.

Of course Dan Quinn would be another name to add to the list. It wouldn't surprise me though if LaFleur hires someone who he has no prior connection with. He done it before with several members of his staff. People like Chris Hewitt (Baltimore), Eric Washington (Buffalo),  Teryl Austin (Pittsburgh),  Alan Williams (Indianapolis), Larry Foote (Tampa) are possible candidates.

I would be interested to know what they run, 3-4 or 4-3. 

4 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I would be interested to know what they run, 3-4 or 4-3. 

I listed guys that would stick to the 3-4; we don't have the personnel in the middle to move to a 4-3. For example, Dean Lowry only came up the draftnik boards hours before the draft because scouts started seeing him as a 3-4 DE, rather than as a 4-3 DE that he played in college. Obviously, he's a rotational body at best, but much better off in a 3-4 than a 4-3.

Edited by Joe