Defensive Coordinator Search

Joe

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

I listed guys that would stick to the 3-4; we don't have the personnel in the middle to move to a 4-3. For example, Dean Lowry only came up the draftnik boards hours before the draft because scouts started seeing him as a 3-4 DE, rather than as a 4-3 DE that he played in college. Obviously, he's a rotational body at best, but much better off in a 3-4 than a 4-3.

Ahh we don’t have the personnel for a 3-4 either. Lol

On 11/2/2020 at 3:32 PM, Packerraymond said:

Jim Leonhard or bust for me. I like the Rex Ryan system. Pettine just calls it in its most bland, vanilla form.

Please No. As a Vikings/Badgers Fan this is a nightmare scenario. Jim Leonhard is incredible

13 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Ahh we don’t have the personnel for a 3-4 either. Lol

We're better suited for the 3-4 than the 4-3. We'd need to invest a lot more draft capital to move to the 4-3, especially at ILB. Neither of the Smith's or Gary would be playing OLB in a 4-3 alignment and we don't have the thumper to play MLB. Nevermind the obvious issues at 2-tech DT; obviously Kenny would fill one of those spots.

13 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Hybrid scheme FTW!!!!

That's really what we've got right now if you look at it. Z's been moved all over the place all year not because of Pettine being creative, but because of what he is lacking in talent around Kenny. On the other hand, let's say we have two IDL that were a couple shades above JAGs such as, say, a Linval Joseph and a Shelby Harris. Does that change the fact that you or I could run for 100 on this defense? Obviously no...

On 11/3/2020 at 8:39 AM, Nick_gb said:

Whatever Defensive coordinator replaces Petrine, I just hope they keep Mike Smith. Love that guy

Maybe give him the interm job leading to the job next year. I believe he has DC experience in I wanna say Carolina. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

Maybe give him the interm job leading to the job next year. I believe he has DC experience in I wanna say Carolina. 

He's been around a lot of great line backers. Gives me Kevin Greene vibes. He's always been a positional coach 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe said:

We're better suited for the 3-4 than the 4-3. We'd need to invest a lot more draft capital to move to the 4-3, especially at ILB. Neither of the Smith's or Gary would be playing OLB in a 4-3 alignment and we don't have the thumper to play MLB. Nevermind the obvious issues at 2-tech DT; obviously Kenny would fill one of those spots.

What looks better up front?

Lowery. Clark. Keke 

Z. Smith Keke. Clark Gary. 

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

What looks better up front?

Lowery. Clark. Keke 

Z. Smith Keke. Clark Gary. 

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't think either alignment really fixes run defense.  If we went with the 4 man front, who are the three LBs? Barnes, Martin and Summers? Burks?

My point precisely. Where does P. Smith play? He's athletic, but not as athletic as Anthony Barr, which is the SAM position he'd be playing, which would mean that you'd have a hole in the middle because Martin would be playing the SAM position. Barnes isn't a MLB, Summers is your prototypical WILL, Bolton and Burks are in that mold too. Despite what Minnesota does with Kendricks(because we wouldn't be able to get someone as good as Kendricks), we'd need a Denzel Perryman type if we're running a true 4-3, because then we would pull the thumper for obvious passing plays and add another DB and send the kitchen. 

FWIW, we had a 3-4 alignment in both Super Bowls XXXI and XLV. The Super Bowl XXXII losing team experimented with some 4-3 fronts as well kicking Reggie inside along with Gravedigger and sticking Keith McKenzie as a DE in certain packages though McKenzie was much better off rushing off the EDGE with Simmons. Obviously, we remember what happened in the Super Bowl though we did slow Emmitt Smith down during the regular season.

Edited by Joe

I don't understand the difficulty of projecting our team to 4-3 defence.

4-3 edge rushers are heavier and longer than 3-4 edge rushers.

Well.......the Smith bros are both heavy and long. Gary too. Rushing with their hands on the ground would likely be a more natural stance for them. At first glance we have the players to make the switch. Just need to find another guy alongside Clark, perhaps Keke or a new draft prospect. At OLB and ILB we got Martin and Barnes, nothing stopping us from drafting another one too. We seem well stocked at DB too.

Why could it not work?

On 11/4/2020 at 11:27 AM, Joe said:

That's really what we've got right now if you look at it. Z's been moved all over the place all year not because of Pettine being creative, but because of what he is lacking in talent around Kenny. On the other hand, let's say we have two IDL that were a couple shades above JAGs such as, say, a Linval Joseph and a Shelby Harris. Does that change the fact that you or I could run for 100 on this defense? Obviously no...

I believe Gary and the Smith's would all be 3-4 DE's if that's what we needed them for. Basically all the rest of our current linebackers I believe would be better suited for outside backers in that scheme. As far as the typical "thumper" backer, I think some 4-3 teams are getting away from that and just going to using three speed guys. I'm not saying that's what I want, but I do think we could shift to a 4-3 if we really wanted too, not saying that's the best use of our talent though. At this stage I just don't think we've drafted and put the talent on the field. Forget about our front 7 for a second, I don't think our safeties are coming up and making the tackles that they should be either. Didn't we just draft a first round safety just two years ago? I haven't seen him make a single play yet.