Presnap Looks From the 1st Half

AlexGreen#20

1st Play

MMX4t1r.png

Think it might be a Cover-4? Why are we playing Cover-4 against 21 Personnel with all 4 DBs 9 yards off the ball?

2nd Play

wSloqoE.png

Think it might be a Cover-4? Why are we playing Cover-4 against 21 Personnel with all 4 DBs 9 yards off the ball?

Can't believe we couldn't stop this run with only 7 defenders to fill 8 gaps.

3rd Play

zkcwJJm.png

Do you want our Safety matched up on your best receiver? Couldn't be easier, any 2 WR look with your best receiver in the slot. It's a lock. Bonus points because he gets 9 yards of cushion. If you put him to Zadarius Smith's side, you can even be guaranteed that you don't have a linebacker dropping back to him.

4th Play

z6fEZxu.png

Man in motion immediately gives away blitz because we only play man when blitzing. Run Cook out of the backfield to the right in order to clear Barnes and Jackson doesn't have a prayer of stopping Thielen on this inside release.

5th Play

fob2FD2.png

Cover-2 for days. Just surrender the first down if you're not going to put enough bodies in the box to fill every gap on 3rd and 1.

6th Play

575hlvu.png

Think it might be a Cover-4? Why are we playing Cover-4 against 12 Personnel with all 4 DBs 9 yards off the ball?

How would anybody know to run the inside TE down the seam to occupy both DBs and leave the outside TE open in the flat? How would anybody know that Preston Smith is the second level defender on that side and that you can pull him towards the ball with play action? This is what happens when you show the same damn coverage look every ******* play. 

7th Play

7tm6oCv.png

I don't even know the Vikings bothered to do this goofy screen to Thielen. Just throw it out to Jefferson and let him get 6. 

8th Play

h2t7VjV.png

I was actually pretty excited when I saw this alignment. I didn't immediately know what the coverage was. We had enough guys in the box to stop the run. Look at these nice logical run fits: 

fZVXd4o.png

Except. Nah. Apparently Redmond was only there to follow Cook in the passing game, not aggressively fill that A gap. 

li9gey1.png

So we have two guys playing outside contain. And we have Barnes having to fill backside A and frontside B with Lowry getting pushed into his lap. **** this

9th Play

NKUomoe.png

Vikings actually bailed you out to turn a 3rd and 3 into a 3rd and 8. Again, I don't actually know the coverage at the snap, they turn this into a nice little Cover-6 to protect Jackson and Sullivan, leaving Jaire on an island. And the Vikings are just going to throw a dump off to Cook who is going to make Will Redmond miss and pick up a first down. 

+++++++++++++++++

10th Play

AND THEN THIS **** STARTS

jbvQ0hE.png

1 Wide Receiver set. The same thing that killed us against the 49ers in the playoffs. 

g5PEqK2.png

Jaire Alexander, just sitting out there because he has nobody to guard, but we can't compromise the zone principles, so we have 2 edge defenders.

Then they bring the TE across the formation who stalemates Preston to seal the gap and Jaire is sitting out there doing nothing. 

7yYFBeA.png

Touchdown. Easy. 

11th Play

wncCZds.png

Savage on Thielen to Z's side. Vikings chose to run it into a stacked box anyway because they're stupid. 

12th play

k5JEklY.png

I don't actually know this coverage immediately, but it's not super basic so it's undoubtedly man to man. Play Action is going to get Savage and Irv Smith is going to get behind him for an easy first down. 

13th play

WhowkdJ.png

Wanna know how we know it's a blitz and we're playing man? Because Preston Smith is playing slot corner on Cook in the slot. Kamal Martin gives it away pre-snap, and Adrian Amos is actually in the box. No adjustment. Martin blitzes. The slot receiver lined up on the safety runs right to where Martin was and gets the ball before Amos can make a play on it. How does an NFL team not have something more intelligent in the playbook than to show blitz and do absolutely nothing to fill that evacuated space?????

14th play

XswHhF6.png

Preston as the outside corner is a pretty good indicator we're playing man and blitzing. They motioned out of it and left us with this

h8DMTyi.png

Where again, there was no desire to change the call. Just completely left it alone because it doesn't matter they know the coverage.

And apparently it doesn't, because the RT just didn't block Dean Lowry who comes in untouched for a sack.

Friendly reminder: The Vikings actually aren't good at this.

15th Play

ACHYbaO.png

Actually don't hate the alignment on 2nd and 19. Except Redmond is going to tip he's blitzing pre-snap and the Vikings are going to pick up 12 on a slant follow concept because our DBs are playing 10 yards off the ball.

16th play

csDlajg.png

Actually don't hate the alignment on 3rd and 7. And actually almost caught the Vikings because they weren't expecting Z to drop. Just not fast enough to get there and stop Thielen from running a 6 yard slant. Vikings were just a step faster to throw it before the closer arrived.

17th play

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

YQZoQ4V.png

1 WR set

Miraculously we have both safeties in the box. Though Josh Jackson is still hanging out outside doing nothing. Thielen in motion is going to move Amos one step outside and Cook is going to use that one step to pick up the first down. If Josh Jackson isn't going to follow Thielen in motion here. What is his purpose on the field?

18th play

5A4Z5Xi.png

1 WR set

Having discovered something that works. The Vikings go back to it. Josh Jackson sitting there doing nothing and Adrian Amos playing the deep middle of the field against 1 WR sets is just gross.

19th play

Khh03kT.png

1 WR set

After getting killed on a 9 yard run, Pettine decides to run it back and do the exact same thing.

20th play

6NY55nJ.png

Sure, let's just line Adam Thielen up at TE and see how it goes, let the record reflect that he and Kyle Rudolph pushed Z 2 yards off the ball onto the goal line.

21st Play

0 WR set

e3dJqhd.png

Sure, we all need 3 Safeties and Oren Burks on the field against 23 Personnel on 2nd and 1 from the goal line.

+++

This is just stupid. Fire Pettine

• Like 7

Lots of things jumped out at me.  Obviously the secondary alignment.  Gap control versus zone coverage.  It's frustrating.

One thing I do not understand.  Depth of our linebackers.  Does everyone play the linebackers 5 yards from the LOS?  I'm not sure.  To me, it looks like we are a yard deeper than I see from most everyone else.  Could be wrong there, I don't watch or know ILB stuff all that well.

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

Usually I’m pretty optimistic, I legit believe there’s a path to the Super Bowl most years. It’s very hard to believe the path doesn’t involve firing Pettine before the seasons over this year.

What is outrageous is our idiot DC keeps doing it.  Isn't the sign of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?  Good lord...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Lots of things jumped out at me.  Obviously the secondary alignment.  Gap control versus zone coverage.  It's frustrating.

One thing I do not understand.  Depth of our linebackers.  Does everyone play the linebackers 5 yards from the LOS?  I'm not sure.  To me, it looks like we are a yard deeper than I see from most everyone else.  Could be wrong there, I don't watch or know ILB stuff all that well.

I'd say they were a yard or two farther back than you'd usually see, yeah.  It's made a lot worse by the fact that they often have to read the post-snap picture to find their gap, which means they're slow moving to the ball, which gives the OL just all day to get in between them and the ball.  The 2nd play of the game (2nd and 8 above), Clark gets blown off the LoS by a double team right into Martin's lap; which opens up a huge gap for Cook.  However, this play goes nowhere if Martin is moving forward at the snap, and he slips under Clark as he's being carried away like you'd expect from an NFL linebacker.  But Martin is clearly still trying to parse what's in front of him, and by the time he knows which of his 9 gaps he needs to cover it's too late.