QB for the next 10 years - Burrow or Jackson?

Hunter2_1

Who would you rather have  

113 members have voted

1. 1. for next 10 years?

• Joe Burrow
    • Lamar Jackson

Jackson plays for the better team and organization, but I think Burrow will ultimately be better IF Cincinnati can surround him with good talent and coaching. Priority number one for the Bengals this offseason will be to fix their OL.

• Like 1

I've watched both only a limited amount of games so dont claim to be any expert but Burrow to me looks like the guy with the higher potential and longevity. Jackson has had a meteoric rise but I'm just not sold on QBs who have to rely so heavily on the run game. Maybe that's a bit old-fashioned but moving forward from this point I would take Burrow as the better QB to build around.

• Like 4

Was hoping we might go a full year without a Lamar Jackson comparisons thread. Alas that hope has quickly been crushed.

I’ll be a homer and take Lamar, though Burrow has done some great things for Cincy. He wasn’t all that impressive in his game against the Ravens, our defense thoroughly undressed him... but he’s been good in virtually all the other games.

As purely a passer, I’d put Lamar in that Derek Carr level of talents. But even as he declines I’d expect him to be possessed of prime Tyrod Taylor level athleticism, like Vick. So even in his 30s I see a guy who is a legit 10-12 QB option that you can win with. He just may need more help offensively, which I expect this franchise will supply.

Burrow is also good. There is a definite path for him to be better than Lamar that I acknowledge, but as Lamar is younger, I still believe Lamar’s ability to further develop as a passer and in the cerebral qualities of a QB are under appreciated.

I think many people convinced themselves last season that Greg Roman was the arbiter of Lamar’s success in the NFL, when in reality Roman is a great run game coordinator, but is a terrible pass game coordinator. In the modern NFL and for a young developing QB, the latter is more important. If the Ravens hold onto Roman beyond 2021, I think Burrow is the better QB option to have. But if Lamar can be exposed to a good passing game mind sooner than later, I think he’s got the potential to utilize his elite athleticism, while displaying the full capacity of his QB talents, which might become something on a Matt Ryan type level... and while I’m not quite sure what Joe Burrow can become, I think it could be something just below the Aaron Rodgers level.

You couldn’t go wrong with either. But I already know what Lamar can do to defenses with a terrible, highly vanilla passing scheme at his disposal. With some level of legit scheme assistance backing his passing production (other than the “Lamar effect” that his rushing ability affords), I think his level of field impact could be far higher than what he was able to cultivate last season. I don’t anticipate him ever being as accurate as a Russell Wilson, but given the correct WR fit, I don’t think it’ll matter. Burrow probably doesn’t have that limitation to his game, but he’s also not quite as scary an athlete... even if he’s no slouch in that department himself. 

• Like 2

Burrow looks like he's going to have a much higher floor and Lamar has shown he has an absurdly high season. I'd take Lamar over the next 8 or so years with his high peaks. Burrow definitely looks like the safer 15 year option though

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

He wasn’t all that impressive in his game against the Ravens, our defense thoroughly undressed him... but he’s been good in virtually all the other games.

More like the Ravens defense completely undressed the Bengals offensive line. Burrow’s bad game was purely a byproduct of that.