Outpost31

Gute Sucks. Fire Gute.

First of all, just like the scene in Vertigo and Jaws and every other movie that copied that vertigo shot, it suddenly hit me...

We are ****ed for 2021.  We are done for.  Over.  Cooked.  We're going to fail HARD in 2021.  Salary cap is expected to be 175 million in 2021. 

That's currently 5 million LOWER than what we have tied up in cap space. 

We have the following impending free agents:

1. Aaron Jones
2. Kevin King
3. David Bakhtiari
4. Corey Linsley
5. Lane Taylor
6. Tyler Ervin
7. Montravius Adams
8. Tyler Lancaster
9. Chandon Sullivan (RFA)
10. Allen Lazard (ERFA)
11. Robert Tonyan (RFA)
12. Krys Barnes (ERFA)
13. Raven Greene (RFA)
14. Will Redmond (RFA)

A lot of those players you get better by not having.  Redmond, Greene, Taylor... All expendable.  Though Taylor is an above average backup (if you think he's not you have zero perspective).  Corey Linsley is currently playing like a top 5 center this year.  Bakhtiari is NOT expendable.  And we're probably going to extend Jones. 

So you figure you lose Adams, Lancaster, Linsley, King, Taylor.  That's our complete DL depth unless you think highly of Dean Lowry. 
There goes our starting corner.
There goes our starting center.

And what do we have to replace them with? 

7 draft picks.

No cap space.  We don't even currently HAVE cap space to re-sign Bakhtiari and Jones.  We are going to have to CUT players to get below the cap limit.  And that's IF Rodgers restructures. 

Then let's look at positional spending. 

The Packers are 4th in the league - THE ENTIRE LEAGUE - in defensive spending.  They're currently 30th in DVOA on defense.  Bottom 5 in passing, rushing, QB rating.  They are the only team in the NFL to allow 100% scoring in the red zone.  What are the three teams spending more than them on defense?  The Broncos, Bears and Ravens.  That's good for 17th, 2nd and 7th in the league in scoring respectively.  The Broncos you can't even blame.  They're down Von Miller and have the offense of a college football team playing in the NFL. 

Add to that his draft picks. 

Jaire Alexander.  Josh Jackson.  Oren Burks.  Rashan Gary.  Darnell Savage.  Half of his 1st-3rd round picks have been defense.  Add Kevin King, Josh Jones and Montravius Adams, plus Kenny Clark and Kyler Fackrell that he inherited and that goes to 10/16 1st-3rd round picks on defense. 

There is nobody - NOBODY - you can blame more for the defensive shortcomings than Gute.  If his scouting is right, he should have fired Pettine the minute he looked at Jimmy G's stats and performance in the Championship game and saw the final score.  If Pettine is fine as Defensive Coordinator, then his assessment sucks. 

NO HELP IS COMING IN 2021. 

In fact, help is LEAVING. 

This team has all of the makings of a major implosion and impending 4-12 finish in 2021. 

This is NOT a team on the rise.  They act like the future is bright with Jordan Love, but they were in this position heading into 2021 before they drafted Love.  They have zero guarantee Love is going to be great or even good. 

Come on..................

Can we have one "Fire Everybody" thread?
Makes it like one stop shopping.

Just now, Leader said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Sadly, the proof is in the pudding. How can a GM commit so much draft capital to the defensive side of the ball and have so very little to show for it? 

Edited by Howler

Would we have been better with Elliott Wolf? Too early to ask? 

It's going to be interesting to see where these guys get valued if the cap goes down. 

Guys, quit freaking out about the 175 Million cap number. If that's the case, the whole league is ****ed, not just us. Nobody will be able to resign their free agents. 

Rosters are going to be decimated across the league, especially the contenders. 

I'm as down on the defense as anybody, but it's not the defensive roster that's the problem. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

You're accusing others of making useless posts?

• Like 5

I know that the cap is supposed to go down.  I very much get why it should happen.

I also get that the players union doesn't want this.  I also get why many owners do not want this to happen.

Not reading into a crystal ball here, but there aren't too many times when players and owners agree on something.  I think there is a chance that the cap remains flat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Guys, quit freaking out about the 175 Million cap number. If that's the case, the whole league is ****ed, not just us. Nobody will be able to resign their free agents. 

I'm as down on the defense as anybody, but it's not the defensive roster that's the problem. 

I look at it like this..at least similarly.....  Expansion draft.  Remember when the Texans and Jags came into the league and you had to put vets up there to be taken?  Patriots, Colts, Jets and Jags all will have north of 70M of cap room.  Only 3 teams have more than 40M.  It is kind of like that.

Vets are going to be out there looking for money.  And while there is a lot, it is mostly only on a few teams.  Couple guys are going to be paid...big.  But many are not.  It's an issue.

9 teams are projected to be over.  Saints over by 95M. Chiefs over by 15M.

It's going to be interesting to watch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're accusing others of making useless posts?

No. Actually not...but I'll explain it to you since your reading comprehension skills are so low.

I was saying to combine the "Fire Folks" into a single thread. Not a post....thread.

Got it now? Or are flash cards needed?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wrong.

Brady - 11 million lower cap hit.

Wilson - 4 million lower cap hit.

Actually, it would be easier to list quarterbacks with higher cap hits.  There are two.  Roethlisberger and Ryan.

Literally every other Qb in the NFL has a lower cap hit than Rodgers does in 2021.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Wrong.

Brady - 11 million lower cap hit.

Wilson - 4 million lower cap hit.

Actually, it would be easier to list quarterbacks with higher cap hits.  There are two.  Roethlisberger and Ryan.

Literally every other Qb in the NFL has a lower cap hit than Rodgers does in 2021.

And Rodgers isn't exactly starving, in light of his numerous endorsement deals.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

x10.  

Settle down chicken littles.  Covid/election tension.  R-E-L-A-X.  We're 18-5 in the regular season so far under MLF and people are going nuts.  I trust in Gute.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

No. Actually not...but I'll explain it to you since your reading comprehension skills are so low.

I was saying to combine the "Fire Folks" into a single thread. Not a post....thread.

Got it now? Or are flash cards needed?

LOL … is the covid thing making everybody testy?