Gute Sucks. Fire Gute.

MacReady

Here’s the thing with Gute.  He’s a young, not overly experienced GM.  He’s still practically cutting his teeth.  Murphy knew what he was getting and I’m sure planned for some growth and development for Gute as he grew into his position - hence the triumpherate structure.

How long do you stick with anyone in a win-now league like the NFL?  Patience has it’s rewards to a degree, and haste can be a dangerous gamble.  If Gute were let go, he’d be picked up immediately by another team at any capacity.  His new team now gets a seasoned executive.

What Murphy needs to ascertain is whether Gute is learning from mistakes and growing, or, is he siloed in his thinking and not amenable to course-correction.  GM’s need vision and confidence, but also a modicum of humility to allow for positive growth.  I have no idea what Gute’s intrinsic personality traits are, so I guess in Murphy we trust.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

My quick take on his offseasons:

Draft wise- With the definition of average being 1 high end player or 2 second contract players, I'd grade his drafts:

2018- C+- Jaire, and a few role players (MVS probably will be in the league awhile as a 3/4th niche deep threat... a bunch of probably just first contract guys).

2019- B- This was a decent draft (maybe 3 second contract players, none really high end though). Jenkins is like an average OL. Gary/Savage is engimas. Keke might be a decent player. Maybe Sternberger is a #2 TE that is on the team awhile

2020- Incomplete  Unless Love pans out, this could be a F. Backup/Rotation guys in Martin/Runyan are the only guys playing. Deguara/Dillion have shown a little but injuries. Questionable positional value in round 2/3. The only defense for him in this is the board went really bad.

FA 2018- No flexibility, non descript.

FA 2019 was nice bringing in 4 starters. One or 2 of them probably get cut this year (Preston, maybe Turner).

FA 2020 was meh (Kinsley/Wagener probably get cut... low risk deals). I do get them though, we are getting a few comp picks (probably at least a 4/5/6, maybe 2 4s and a 6) this offseason, so draft 2021 will be interesting. We did bring in a WR but he went covid IR. Emmanual Sanders also didn't want to play here so he at least tried.

Before 2020 I would have probably given him a B. This year has been a pretty big fail though. He isn't going anywhere after this year, but if Love bombs and we go awall next year, I could see a move.

what about Jenkins is an average OL?

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

what about Jenkins is an average OL?

Yep, played LT, LG, C and RT so far this year alone. Kid has typed his own ticket he's a budding star on our Oline. Thank goodness we draft the way we do on the Oline. Runyan seems to be just like his old man and extremely capable he will likely be a starter for us as we reshuffle the line this offseason to save money:)

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Some of you deserve to be Jets or Browns fans is really all I can say about this thread.

And deserve's got nothing to do with it Clint says:) Our fans are funny. Just a game folks a game with more greed than most of us see or understand. Just watch it to it's football level and then let go.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m just happy Gutey was able to get him in the 2nd round. That guy could have been a 1st rounder for sure in hindsight 

Yeah .. he's a potential stud.  He's played four positions this year, and played them well.  He's already a pro bowl level player.  Heck of a pick by Gute.  

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Remember that time Gute signed an all pro LT to a long term contract?

But he wasn't a player from another team. And you should know that the only signings that matter are ones that show he is TRYING HARD BY SPENDING ALL TEH MONEY ON FREE AGENCY.

/s