49ers release WR Dante Pettis

RaidersAreOne

Really not sure why we kept Street over Taylor. I haven't seen a single positive play from Street since we drafted him. I get that he's really strong, but from what I've seen, he's just not a very good football player. I can understand keeping Givens over Taylor, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what our staff sees in Street. The pick was kind of a head scratcher when it was made. I won't lose sleep over us cutting Taylor though. 
giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Wow, cant believe someone claimed Pettis...speaks volumes about the Giants

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/141865-giants-claim-former-49ers-receiver-dante-pettis-waivers/

He didn't have value here due to Jimmy not throwing the ball at certain areas of the field and Pettis not being physical enough for this system. But his route running is damn good and he gets separation as long as the corner doesn't get physical with him. Pettis may be able to do some things with the Giants. 

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Since the Giants claimed him, does that mean we're off the hook entirely for his rookie contract? No dead cap or anything like that?

Yes, we have dead cap from the bonuses he may have had. However we don't have dead money with regards to any guaranteed currrent / future base. That being said, I don't know that there was any left at this point. Maybe a little bit. 

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Since the Giants claimed him, does that mean we're off the hook entirely for his rookie contract? No dead cap or anything like that?

thats not how dead cap works.

Whatever the remaining prorated signing bonus is gets adsorbed into the cap immediately. We are able to split up the dead money over two years by doing something called designating him as a post june 1 cut (post june 1 as in next june). 

So the giants claiming him doesnt give us any cap relief on the dead money, but his salary was fully guaranteed by us after week 1, so the giants are now picking up that tab, which means we may see some relief with regards to not having to be on the hook for the remaining base salary that was yet to be paid. I am not clear if that is actually the case however.