Raiders Offense Thread 2.0:

MrOaktown_56

Just now, oakdb36 said:

My position is since we spent more on D last season, there should have been an improvement. It didn't happen. So it's not as easy as spend more. It's spend better or coach better on D.

haha ok perfect I definitely agree with that. 

I want to invest more in the D. 
Defence Focused Draft. 
Defence Focused FA
Better Defensive Coordinator. 

I agree its not easy to build a team or D via FA. But we need to continue to try. 
look at how many WRs Gruden has brought in, (Tyrell, Antonio, Zay Jones, Davis, Martavious Bryant, Ruggs, Edwards, Agholor) . .  . he finally got the production from Agholor.
we need to do that across the Dline, Lbs and Secondary. keep bringing in talent, until we find production.  

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

hmm i guess but our O was already the strong point heading into the last offseason. 
we still spend 2 of our top 3 picks on WR too (arguably 3 of top 4). . . which seemed like a little much when our O was already better than our D. 

Our O is not the problem. and while they are far from perfect, we are a very good football team if we can get an average D. 

I have no problem with our O Coaching staff, the only thing Id like is someone who will speak their mind to Gruden. I fear we have to many yes man on the O side. 

hes an offensive coach, of course that would be his focus. But lets not act like we havent used assets on defense as well. 3 1st round picks, a high second, Littleton, Joyner, Naasib, Kwit over the last two offseasons. 

Edited by Geezy

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

hes an offensive coach, of course that would be his focus. But lets not act like we havent used assets on defense as well. 3 1st round picks, a high second, Littleton, Joyner, Naasib, Kwit over the last two offseasons. 

haha yea I agree. My point is just I wish it wouldnt be his focus. Knowing your weakness and knowing where you need help. 
He is an offensive coach, he should know he needs more help on D from that fact alone. 

but yes I agree, we have been pretty even over his course here. just this offseason, I finally want to be able to say we went heavy on D. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

haha yea I agree. My point is just I wish it wouldnt be his focus. Knowing your weakness and knowing where you need help. 
He is an offensive coach, he should know he needs more help on D from that fact alone. 

but yes I agree, we have been pretty even over his course here. just this offseason, I finally want to be able to say we went heavy on D. 

yes, another infusion, a couple of our bigger FAs and our top 2 picks should be defense. I just think at some point we need to let the defense gel, instead of constant turnover on that side of the ball.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

No, trading Mariota's salary makes no sense for a 5th round pick. Backups too hard to find in the NFL. Just look how we spent our 3rd round picks this year. 

unless its Steve Young, im not paying a back-up 9-10m. It aint that hard to find a back-up. We paid 9m, for 3 qtrs of work. 

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

unless its Steve Young, im not paying a back-up 9-10m. It aint that hard to find a back-up. We paid 9m, for 3 qtrs of work. 

Cant argue with his usage as coaching should of found more RZ packages but a backup in the NFL is like Insurance coverage. You may not use it but you need it.

However, when we did use Mariota, he looked more dynamic than our starter. That's not someone you punt away for a player that may never suit up for us. unless you have a similar skilled player coming in

Edited by bucksavage1

9 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Cant argue with his usage as coaching should of found more RZ packages but a backup in the NFL is like Insurance coverage. You may not use it but you need it.

However, when we did use Mariota, he looked more dynamic than our starter. That's not someone you punt away for a player that may never suit up for us. unless you have a similar skilled player coming in

im down with MM at maybe half the cost(which would probably still be upper tier back up QB money. QB2 is vital for sure. 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

You pay him as a break glass in case of emergency. Look how much money guys like Keenum and Chase Daniels have hauled in to be quality backups. 

Moment Carr is injured and the "ain't hard to find a backup" Peterman's of the world come in and tank your season, you wish you'd have paid.

I bet Shanahan wishes he'd have paid 9 mil for Mariota to be a back up for them in 2020. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You pay him as a break glass in case of emergency. Look how much money guys like Keenum and Chase Daniels have hauled in to be quality backups. 

Moment Carr is injured and the "ain't hard to find a backup" Peterman's of the world come in and tank your season, you wish you'd have paid.

I bet Shanahan wishes he'd have paid 9 mil for Mariota to be a back up for them in 2020. 

near 11m for a back up? especially with our deficiencies on defense and the cap issues were going to face this offseason, sounds like more of a luxury. As it stands MM would be the 20th highest paid QB in the league, at nearly double the salary of a guy like Daniel. DC has remained relatively healthy and has played through injuries. Im not opposed to spending on a back up, but not at low level starter money.