Raiders Offense Thread 2.0:

MrOaktown_56

On 1/5/2021 at 3:53 PM, Geezy said:

unless its Steve Young, im not paying a back-up 9-10m. It aint that hard to find a back-up. We paid 9m, for 3 qtrs of work.

agree.... last year there was a surplus of starters.... more teams then “starting QBs”.  We even saw Winston take just over 1M to sign sign NO.  Besides Brees and Rivers are likely to retire?  Add in 5 maybe 6 1st round QBs... sure all won’t be starters but the some of those teams that draft a QB early might decide to roll with a lower level starter as a place holder..... we can argue who will start here, etc but my point is there will be low level starting quality QBs as backups aka “1A” backups (Mariota, Brissett, etc) around the league and that will drive down the cost of the 1B group of backups  (the Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Flaco, etc).  We should be able to find a good backup for sub 3.0m Maybe even 2.0m with the cap dropping.  There’s no reason to ever spend 10m on A backup QB unless you drafted a 1st round QB and he will Be a bridge QB to the rookie.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Vic put out a article that the Raiders want Ruggs to play faster and I mentioned that in here a couple of days ago. Cause when they would get him the ball on those jet sweeps always looked like he was going 50% didn't look like he was playing fast. 

helps if they actually execute and block it. Every time they call it, it's so damn obvious it's coming there isn't spacing.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

helps if they actually execute and block it. Every time they call it, it's so damn obvious it's coming there isn't spacing.

My favorite tidbit from the article is Gruden comparing Rugg's lack of usage to Cliff Branch's lack of production in 1972. 

“We’re not being defended like we’ve been defended in the past,” Gruden said last month. “I’m not sure how many passes Cliff Branch caught when he was a rookie, but that’d be a good story for you guys to look into. The threat of Ruggs is prevalent when he’s on the grass. We’re going to get him the ball more, but right now we’re more interested in trying to find ways to win than trying to fuel somebody’s stats. We’re really pleased with Ruggs and excited about him being here.”

4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Vic put out a article that the Raiders want Ruggs to play faster and I mentioned that in here a couple of days ago. Cause when they would get him the ball on those jet sweeps always looked like he was going 50% didn't look like he was playing fast. 

What’s causing this?  I’m just guessing but maybe it’s a mental processing thing..... he’s thinking not just running full speed?  

8 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

What’s causing this?  I’m just guessing but maybe it’s a mental processing thing..... he’s thinking not just running full speed?  

From the article. 

While the 5-11, 188-pound Ruggs is obviously fast, the Raiders want him to play faster, especially in getting in and out of his breaks. It’s the biggest reason fans didn’t see as many slants or intermediate catches as anticipated. 

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lazy routes told y’all 

The play against Miami where Xavien Howard was able to run with him step for step and breakup the pass on an intermediate route stood out to me. Yeah Howard is definitely an elite CB and will probably be DPOY. But he ran a 4.58 at the combine, no reason Ruggs shouldn't be able to create seperation against him. 

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The play against Miami where Xavien Howard was able to run with him step for step and breakup the pass on an intermediate route stood out to me. Yeah Howard is definitely an elite CB and will probably be DPOY. But he ran a 4.58 at the combine, no reason Ruggs shouldn't be able to create seperation against him. 

No one can run 4.2 when CB is getting in your way and excerpting physical force on you.  We all loved that video of Arnette doing the same thing to Ruggs in TC and then skying up for the INT.

he’s gonna have to get more physical snd add some muscle so he can push back otherwise he’ll rarely run his fastest on routes.

i don’t see this as a setback... it was something that was foreseen.  He’s got a skinny, wiry body type and need a bit more muscle development.  I said this pre-draft when I was pro-Lamb as the pick.

• Like 3

Ruggs didn't look quick-twitch or explosive out of breaks in college. I remember when I watched him I had a hard time comparing him to a current NFL player becausse his game is so unique. He showed great hands, leaping ability, long speed, and toughness. However, considering his size, it surprised me that he wasn't especially quick or explosive from a stop on short and intermediate routes. I don't know if this is an athletic limitation or a technique one. Unfortunately, I suspect it's the former.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

All year his cuts have been soft doesn’t plant and go seems uninterested unless it’s a go route. I don’t think he’s made forced any missed tackles and goes down way to easy. Plays scared imo

• Like 1