Raiders Offense Thread 2.0:

MrOaktown_56

On 1/8/2021 at 6:11 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

All year his cuts have been soft doesn’t plant and go seems uninterested unless it’s a go route. I don’t think he’s made forced any missed tackles and goes down way to easy. Plays scared imo

I think you may have a point. He seems to slow down prior to contact. It looks like he eases himself into tackles. Very tentative with his running, no violence at all

Early days and I still have faith he could turn it around, but I have noticed this too

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

All year his cuts have been soft doesn’t plant and go seems uninterested unless it’s a go route. I don’t think he’s made forced any missed tackles and goes down way to easy. Plays scared imo

He needs to toughen up. You can't teach his speed or leaping ability. But there's so much more to playing WR than that. It's okay to take a guy who's not a finished product. But the coaches/Ruggs better be up to the task.

24 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He needs to toughen up. You can't teach his speed or leaping ability. But there's so much more to playing WR than that. It's okay to take a guy who's not a finished product. But the coaches/Ruggs better be up to the task.

Gruden wanted his own Tyreek Hill. But not many guys as rocked up as Hill at his size, that's what really makes Hill an elite WR. He's stalky and can play through contact. 

Ruggs top end is a Desean Jackson-esque career. Which would be great if he gets there. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

Gruden wanted his own Tyreek Hill. But not many guys as rocked up as Hill at his size, that's what really makes Hill an elite WR. He's stalky and can play through contact. 

Ruggs top end is a Desean Jackson-esque career. Which would be great if he gets there. 

Actually I thought about this comparison when we drafted him. Jackson would be amazing if he can become that. He is faster and jumps higher but isn't as natural as Jackson is, if that makes sense.

I legitimately don't know a good comparison for Ruggs. I never saw Hill, except in terms of raw speed. I do know that he will benefit a TON from the weight room, a lot like Kolton Miller did. I never judge 1st rounders after a year after Kolton. I ate major crow on that one.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 6:11 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

The fumble against the Broncos on the sweep he looked terrified when the defenders closed in, that was noticeable and him kind of freezing deer in headlights probably caused the big hit and fumble. Don't expect him to run like Jacobs driving into guys but he certainly needs work. He's more of a smooth speedster than an electric Tyreek Hill type.

Whoever said the Jackson comparison may have hit the nail on the head 😀

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

The fumble against the Broncos on the sweep he looked terrified when the defenders closed in, that was noticeable and him kind of freezing deer in headlights probably caused the big hit and fumble. Don't expect him to run like Jacobs driving into guys but he certainly needs work. He's more of a smooth speedster than an electric Tyreek Hill type.

Whoever said the Jackson comparison may have hit the nail on the head 😀

Maybe Ruggs was playing hurt. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 3:54 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Actually I thought about this comparison when we drafted him. Jackson would be amazing if he can become that. He is faster and jumps higher but isn't as natural as Jackson is, if that makes sense.

I legitimately don't know a good comparison for Ruggs. I never saw Hill, except in terms of raw speed. I do know that he will benefit a TON from the weight room, a lot like Kolton Miller did. I never judge 1st rounders after a year after Kolton. I ate major crow on that one.

A faster Reggie Wayne.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Naw is see Ted Ginn jr clone

That would be his floor imo Cooks is a good one, Djax as a ceiling. 4.2 speed with good hands and jumping ability. Hes shown he can make some huge plays on 50/50 balls, and if he gets daylight hes gone. I just dont think hell be a volume guy and a deep threat like Tyreek, that guys built like a tank. 

6 hours ago, Geezy said:

That would be his floor imo Cooks is a good one, Djax as a ceiling. 4.2 speed with good hands and jumping ability. Hes shown he can make some huge plays on 50/50 balls, and if he gets daylight hes gone. I just dont think hell be a volume guy and a deep threat like Tyreek, that guys built like a tank. 

I hate Hill but the way he plays is amazing.  If Ruggs has that type of mentality and aggressiveness he could really shine.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:21 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think it’s more mental than physical imo but glad he’s already at it

I also think Gruden dropped the ball with getting him more involved in the offense. The lack of OTA's, preseason, and a limited training camp didn't help either as it limited the time he had to learn the system and build chemistry with Carr. Not to mention he got banged up in the first game of the season and never really looked to be at 100%. 

The way that we used Agholor this season is how we should use Ruggs next year. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If we do lose Agholor, the ways we gotta get better:

-Ruggs/Edwards jump

-More Foster play time

-Jacobs finally getting more passing game use (he can unlock this part of his game)

-Carr fumbling less and using his legs more (like he did pre-groin)

-Gruden getting his head out of his *** in the RZ

-Interior OL creating more holes