Jump to content

Which Hypothetical QB situation...


Hypothetical QB situation  

13 members have voted

  1. 1. That you like (vote for all you would go for)

    • Resign Cam, roll with Cam and Stidham again; best man wins
      6
    • Use first round pick on best QB available (at 8-15th range probably), have a competition between him and Cam/Stidham
      7
    • Use first pick to trade up with either DAL/NYG, who have their QBs, in order to draft Lance or Fields (or possible Wilson or Jones if those two already gone)
      3
    • Find a way to trade with NYJ for Darnold, as they will draft Lawrence
      3
    • Draft a QB with 2nd or 3rd pick, add him to the QB competition with Cam/Stidham
      6
    • Trade with SF to get Jimmy back here
      2
    • Trade with Dallas for Dak
      1
    • Get a different veteran QB (possibly Fitz) to replace Cam whilst we find QBotF the following draft
      2


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

At least one of these QBs getting mentioned will drop out the top 8 or 9.

It's possible but personally I feel it is unlikely. 

Currently the Patriots are projected to pick at #13.. and unless they lose out I think they are likely to stick in that 10-13 range. 

I would guarantee a minimum of 3 Quarterbacks taken before them: Jets / Jags / Washington .. with a maximum of 7 teams wanting a QB before them: Jets / Jags / Washington / Giants / Falcons / Lions / Vikings. Also wild cards of the 49ers trading up to grab a QB they want. 

Unfortunately I think this could be a season where A LOT of teams give up on their QB's and all run to the draft for a replacement. 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Crimmage said:

It's possible but personally I feel it is unlikely. 

Currently the Patriots are projected to pick at #13.. and unless they lose out I think they are likely to stick in that 10-13 range. 

I would guarantee a minimum of 3 Quarterbacks taken before them: Jets / Jags / Washington .. with a maximum of 7 teams wanting a QB before them: Jets / Jags / Washington / Giants / Falcons / Lions / Vikings. Also wild cards of the 49ers trading up to grab a QB they want. 

Unfortunately I think this could be a season where A LOT of teams give up on their QB's and all run to the draft for a replacement. 

  

It would be unprecedented to see 7 QBs go in the top 10, wouldn't it? What is the maximum taken in top 10? I feel like it's 4 or something

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Crimmage said:

It's possible but personally I feel it is unlikely. 

Currently the Patriots are projected to pick at #13.. and unless they lose out I think they are likely to stick in that 10-13 range. 

I would guarantee a minimum of 3 Quarterbacks taken before them: Jets / Jags / Washington .. with a maximum of 7 teams wanting a QB before them: Jets / Jags / Washington / Giants / Falcons / Lions / Vikings. Also wild cards of the 49ers trading up to grab a QB they want. 

Unfortunately I think this could be a season where A LOT of teams give up on their QB's and all run to the draft for a replacement. 

  

The thing is, there isn't 7 1st round calibre QBs available, and if there's a trade up involving the likes of Falcons/Lions/Vikings/49ers then the QB they discard will likely be taken by one of the other QB needy teams. I hate the idea of Patriots going down the Stafford/Jimmy G route but I guess we are prime candidates to do this.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It would be unprecedented to see 7 QBs go in the top 10, wouldn't it? What is the maximum taken in top 10? I feel like it's 4 or something

Was 2018 the record for most QBs taken in both the top 10 (4) and 1st round (5)?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ToonPatriot said:

The thing is, there isn't 7 1st round calibre QBs available, and if there's a trade up involving the likes of Falcons/Lions/Vikings/49ers then the QB they discard will likely be taken by one of the other QB needy teams. I hate the idea of Patriots going down the Stafford/Jimmy G route but I guess we are prime candidates to do this.

Was 2018 the record for most QBs taken in both the top 10 (4) and 1st round (5)?

So apparently 1983 there were 6 QBs taken in the first round, but only 2 in the top 10 (Elway and Blackledge)

in 2018, 5 were taken in the first round, with 4 in the top 10. So you are right.

 

There is no way on Earth all these discussed QBs get taken in top 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So apparently 1983 there were 6 QBs taken in the first round, but only 2 in the top 10 (Elway and Blackledge)

That's cool, way before my time both in life and as a fan lol. I think 2021 will be near identical to 2018 with 4 in the top 10 and potentially a 5th at the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok  Pats are on the clock. You know secondary is one of the strength on the team the other OL that's it.  All the Pats fans are sitting there, giddy. Still on the board, QB Wilson, WR, Chase, LB Parsons and TE Pitts. We all have our favorite players and positions and they just sitting there for our 1st pick.  The pick is in the Pats select------- wait for it---------------- CB from the University ????????

We all know its going to happen, he does it every year.   My question which one out of the top three. I see,  Caleb Farley , Pat Surtain and Shaun Wade. Its a toss up. I say Wade only for one  reason. He plays for OSU. They have IMO best track record for the last couple of years.  You can watch tape read up on them but mostly everyone has no clue who will be the best pick. They all will be good but I'm greedy,  if we take one, I want the next Mike Haynes!!!!!! Screw you Sullivan's,  I'm still pissed. 🥵

PS Chuck Fairbanks was a draft God!

Edited by m haynes
Link to post
Share on other sites

If there are no big-body DTs worthy of a pick where the Pats are slotted, then by all means they should trade down. Take Tufele, and then take a QB with the next pick. 

This team needs its next Vince Wilfork/Alan Branch in the worst way. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Ok  Pats are on the clock. You know secondary is one of the strength on the team the other OL that's it.  All the Pats fans are sitting there, giddy. Still on the board, QB Wilson, WR, Chase, LB Parsons and TE Pitts. We all have our favorite players and positions and they just sitting there for our 1st pick.  The pick is in the Pats select------- wait for it---------------- CB from the University ????????

We all know its going to happen, he does it every year.   My question which one out of the top three. I see,  Caleb Farley , Pat Surtain and Shaun Wade. Its a toss up. I say Wade only for one  reason. He plays for OSU. They have IMO best track record for the last couple of years.  You can watch tape read up on them but mostly everyone has no clue who will be the best pick. They all will be good but I'm greedy,  if we take one, I want the next Mike Haynes!!!!!! Screw you Sullivan's,  I'm still pissed. 🥵

PS Chuck Fairbanks was a draft God!

Unfortunately, neither secondary or OL will end up being perfect next year. 

Gilmore will likely be gone.. the McCourty twins could retire.. JC Jackson will likely stay but what if a team offers a first rounder and takes him. Starting Safeties could be Dugger and Williams next year.. with JC Jackson and Jonathan Jones as the only corners.. they could easily take another corner high in the draft. I'm not saying they should.. I would rather add a vet to that team but it wouldn't be insane. 


Same with OL .. LT wont be an issue.. but Thuney is gone.. do you trust Froholdt to replace him? .. David Andrews is a Free Agent.. if he isn't resigned ( tampa has had Center issues and Brady could push to give him a big deal) .. you have nobody else to play that position other than Froholdt... Shaq Mason also has an almost 10 million dollar cap hit.. is he worth it? BB could move on from him as well. I would need to see more from Herron / Eluemunor / Cajuste to feel comfortable long term about the OL. 

At the end of the day this team has holes everywhere so no pick would surprise me. The only difference is I feel you can get a great player all over the draft at any position a heck of a lot more often than a QB. If a QB is available that they feel can be a franchise guy, even if it's someone who needs some development like Lance you have to do everything possible to get that guy. The more you improve this team, the more they will push towards the middle of the pack and you'll never be able to get a QB without trading away a ridiculous amount of picks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Unfortunately, neither secondary or OL will end up being perfect next year. 

Gilmore will likely be gone.. the McCourty twins could retire.. JC Jackson will likely stay but what if a team offers a first rounder and takes him. Starting Safeties could be Dugger and Williams next year.. with JC Jackson and Jonathan Jones as the only corners.. they could easily take another corner high in the draft. I'm not saying they should.. I would rather add a vet to that team but it wouldn't be insane. 


Same with OL .. LT wont be an issue.. but Thuney is gone.. do you trust Froholdt to replace him? .. David Andrews is a Free Agent.. if he isn't resigned ( tampa has had Center issues and Brady could push to give him a big deal) .. you have nobody else to play that position other than Froholdt... Shaq Mason also has an almost 10 million dollar cap hit.. is he worth it? BB could move on from him as well. I would need to see more from Herron / Eluemunor / Cajuste to feel comfortable long term about the OL. 

At the end of the day this team has holes everywhere so no pick would surprise me. The only difference is I feel you can get a great player all over the draft at any position a heck of a lot more often than a QB. If a QB is available that they feel can be a franchise guy, even if it's someone who needs some development like Lance you have to do everything possible to get that guy. The more you improve this team, the more they will push towards the middle of the pack and you'll never be able to get a QB without trading away a ridiculous amount of picks. 

Nice Post   Crim did you forget OL Michael Onwenu. Just asking.

PS The Washington team is the wild card concerning QB in the draft. Everyone are over the board with their pick.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I left out Onwenu because at this point I trust him to be a great OL player for them for multiple years to come. I think Wynn could also be a cornerstone if he stays healthy assuming he doesn't command a huge contract.. otherwise he is easily replaceable as well. I worry about OL a bit less just because I think they know they can grab guys late and be successful.. the odds of them spending a first or second rounder on an OL is unlikely to me given that I think they've only ever spent a high pick on a LT. 

For anyone hoping to get Wilson you have to hope that Alex Smith dominates the second half of the season.. because I think they will 100% draft him personally. Thankfully they play the Lions / Bengals / Cowboys / 49ers / Carolina / Eagles in their last 8 games.. so I think they 6-10 at worse and 8-8 at best. I think the Patriots end up winning 5-6 games total depending on if BB throws the last game of the year like he typically does. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...