Week 9 GDT - Broncos @ Falcons

Broncofan

18 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Ugh

Yep.  Said it a few weeks ago, but that’s how he answered after the Patriots game when he let them back in it.  

All of his post game interviews are terrible.  He acts as if it’s so easy, when his play on the field is obviously struggling mightily. 

I’ve used this comparison with Mayfield (and I think Lock is the physically more talented player) but like Renck, Lock plays like he’s Mahomes/Favre/Rodgers/Wilson when he needs to play more like a game manager.  

The quicker Lock realizes he isn’t a special type of talent the quicker his career gets on track.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Yep.  Said it a few weeks ago, but that’s how he answered after the Patriots game when he let them back in it.  

All of his post game interviews are terrible.  He acts as if it’s so easy, when his play on the field is obviously struggling mightily. 

I’ve used this comparison with Mayfield (and I think Lock is the physically more talented player) but like Renck, Lock plays like he’s Mahomes/Favre/Rodgers/Wilson when he needs to play more like a game manager.  

The quicker Lock realizes he isn’t a special type of talent the quicker his career gets on track.

This team mandates him to play hero ball lol the past 3 weeks he needed to score 30+ to win

What's he managing there's no one on our iffen runnimfnack or receiver at this moment that are reliable on a down to down basis.

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

This team mandates him to play hero ball lol the past 3 weeks he needed to score 30+ to win

What's he managing there's no one on our iffen runnimfnack or receiver at this moment that are reliable on a down to down basis.

He’s been pathetic in the 1st half.  It’s not all on him, but a lot of it is.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

The whole offense has been pathetic our leading rusher at half was Hamler with 15 yards. Like I could see if he had a strong support group and system to lean on .

He has Patrick Mahomes like pressure to perform every week and we expect game management it doesn't make sense. 

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

The offense is anemic, and bad, conservative playcalling is killing us early on. When Lock can go uptempo with the weapons we have, it works much better. Also, Gordon stinks. I admit, I was somewhat bullish on that signing, but he looks like he's stuck in mud. Lindsay didn't look any better today, but still.

The defense was actually not terrible against the run IMO. The CBs were abysmal though. Laughably bad, especially Davontae Harris. Not sure why he has a job over Bausby but that's a different discussion.

Honestly I don't think we need to say much more than this for the O and D.

If we came out aggressive and uptempo earlier in the 1H, it might actually help get the O going. 

The D was shorthanded, I get that.  But there's no way De'vante Bausby should have been cut over the last 2 CB's on our roster.    SMH.  

One comment re: Fangio's game management - it was awful in the 1H.   Taking a TO on 4th and 6 at the ATL and then punting at their 41 absolutely killed our last 2 min drill (and then somehow Shurmur compounded this by deciding to run on 2nd and 10 with MG3 up the middle with 30 secs left and 1 TO).   It was better in the 4Q but only because it was painfully obvious what DEN had to do.   Not at all sold that Fangio has really learned.  When you are down 27-6 it's pretty easy to know what to do.

Edited by Broncofan

@thebestever6, I still think Lock can be the answer, but he has to start showing progress.  He’s started I think 10 or so games now and has been mostly poor in every single one except Houston last year. He shows flashes and has that complete Houston game that gives a ton of hope.  

Realistically he’s been riding on winning games and his swagger instead of his on field production.  He’s losing games now and playing poorly.  When you’re a QB in the NFL you’re going to get a lot of heat for that. 

18 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Totally fair - but the part where Shurmur (and Fangio by extension ) really hurt the O is they also put Lock into do or die situations ALL the time in the 1H - by having only 1 play to move the chains.   Run-run-pass is just an awful sequence, with no margin for error.   Giving 2 shots to throw past the sticks is just far more likely to keep drives going than only waiting until 3rd down to convert.   That has to change on Shurmur's part.

And to be clear - we don't have to throw it 50x a game, I'm not suggesting that.   We can run the ball, but we have to be unpredictable too.  Right now, we're so easy to forecast in the 1H.  But we also can't be predictable and telegraph our playcalling like we do so much in the 1H of games.   Shurmur owns a lot of this, but Fangio's TO-then-punt decision shows that he's endorsing the conservative starts to our 1H's as well.  That simply has to change. 

All of the above doesn't excuse Lock's lack of progress.  The ONLY reason that would give Lock a pass is if the shoulder's not healthy.   But that's only conjecture (although plausible, by no means confirmed) at this stage, and barring that Lock really has no excuses.   It's also still early enough we can see improvement still...but the clock is ticking.   If this is what we see game in and game out for the rest of the season, then it's going to be one helluva offseason discussion lol.

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Totally fair - but the part where Shurmur (and Fangio by extension ) really hurt the O is they also put Lock into do or die situations ALL the time in the 1H - by having only 1 play to move the chains.   Run-run-pass is just an awful sequence, with no margin for error. 

We don't have to throw it 60x a game.   We can run it, but we have to be unpredictable too.  We're so easy to forecast in the 1H.  But we also can't be predictable and telegraph our playcalling like we do so much in the 1H of games.   Shurmur owns a lot of this, but Fangio's TO-then-punt decision shows that he's endorsing the conservative starts to our 1H's as well.  That simply has to change. 

I think there is definitely blame to go around and don’t disagree with any of this. 

But I also think when you have confidence in you QB it makes it a lot easier.  Lock’s a wild card.  They’ve tried for 2 weeks now to make sure Drew Lock didn’t lose the game in the 1st half.  Maybe it’s time to just let him loose and see what happens.

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

I think there is definitely blame to go around and don’t disagree with any of this. 

But I also think when you have confidence in you QB it makes it a lot easier.  Lock’s a wild card.  They’ve tried for 2 weeks now to make sure Drew Lock didn’t lose the game in the 1st half.  Maybe it’s time to just let him loose and see what happens.

Yeah, if you see the rest of my post (which to be fair to you, I revised as you were replying) - I'm not absolving Lock at all.  It's just the combo of Lock's struggles and the conservative approach is killing the O.   You can't just leave only 1 chance to move the sticks - not when you weapons like Jeudy, Fant, Hamler et al., you don't leave only 1 chance for the O to keep drives going.  What was insane today - ATL's pass D was 10x worse than their run D - yet Fangio & Shurmur kept going run-run-pass, or run on 2nd and 10.....just insane.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, if you see the rest of my post (which to be fair to you, I revised as you were replying) - I'm not absolving Lock at all.  It's just the combo of Lock's struggles and the conservative approach is killing the O.   You can't just leave only 1 chance to move the sticks - not when you weapons like Jeudy, Fant, Hamler et al., you don't leave only 1 chance for the O to keep drives going.  What was insane today - ATL's pass D was 10x worse than their run D - yet Fangio & Shurmur kept going run-run-pass, or run on 2nd and 10.....just insane.

Oh I don’t disagree.  I think they’re scared to let Lock loose and I can see it to an extent.  At this point though with now no shot at the playoffs you have to take the training wheels off in the 1st half.  Let’s see what he’s got.

16 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Oh I don’t disagree.  I think they’re scared to let Lock loose and I can see it to an extent.  At this point though with now no shot at the playoffs you have to take the training wheels off in the 1st half.  Let’s see what he’s got.

That and the play calling has been questionable. IDK if Shurmers offense really fits Lock at all because Lock certainly looked much better with Scangs last year. He was more decisive last season and played more free. Now it looks like hes overthinking and is late with everything which scares me for a young QB.

I saw the same thing with Baker Mayfield. His rookie season he hung in the pocket with poise and delivered confident strikes. Now hes like a scared puppy, he hitches his throws and if his first read isnt open he runs because he has been hit so many times he doesnt trust his OL anymore. I see the same trajectory with Lock and I hope they can fix the problem before he is ruined forever.

Asking Lock to sit in the pocket while plays develop downfield is getting him in trouble and thats not what hes great at, they need to get back to some basics and quick strikes.

Edited by AkronsWitness

27 minutes ago, germ-x said:

@thebestever6, I still think Lock can be the answer, but he has to start showing progress.  He’s started I think 10 or so games now and has been mostly poor in every single one except Houston last year. He shows flashes and has that complete Houston game that gives a ton of hope.  

Realistically he’s been riding on winning games and his swagger instead of his on field production.  He’s losing games now and playing poorly.  When you’re a QB in the NFL you’re going to get a lot of heat for that. 

I thought he was exceptional last year I mean we forget Emanuel Sanders got traded wasn'uch around him. This team was unwatchable dead in the water and he reliving them.

@Broncofan in describing Shurmer is deja vu to Mike Mcoy a poor playcalling coach biardwrli unwatchable. Cimbi that that a 23 year old qb who's played 10 games is being called upon to save us like a Mahomes. I'm not shocked it's going poorly.

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That and the play calling has been questionable. IDK if Shurmers offense really fits Lock at all because Lock certainly looked much better with Scangs last year. He was more decisive last season and played more free. Now it looks like hes overthinking and is late with everything which scares me for a young QB.

I saw the same thing with Baker Mayfield. His rookie season he hung in the pocket with poise and delivered confident strikes. Now hes like a scared puppy, he hitches his throws and if his first read isnt open he runs because he has been hit so many times he doesnt trust his OL anymore. I see the same trajectory with Lock and I hope they can fix the problem before he is ruined forever.

Asking Lock to sit in the pocket while plays develop downfield is getting him in trouble and thats not what hes great at, they need to get back to some basics and quick strikes.

Lock ideally is a point guard at qb . And Shurmers deep route predictable conservative offense is strangling the team. Like you're literally asking your qb to make threes all day.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Lock ideally is a point guard at qb . And Shurmers deep route predictable conservative offense is strangling the team. Like you're literally asking your qb to make threes all day.

I agree, I have yet to see anything quick and easy to help a young QB. Asking him to read defenses and go through multiple route progressions every play is killing him. Just to relate it to another Browns situation---Shurmers playcalling is a LOT like Todd Monkin/Freddie Kitchens. Everything is long developing and requires a young QB to hang in the pocket far too long. When you have a poor OL, a young QB and a playcaller asking every route to be 10+ yards its asking for mistakes.

Granted, Lock needs to be better and be more on time--but the playcalling needs to help him out.

Edited by AkronsWitness