Week 9 GDT - Broncos @ Falcons

Broncofan

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

You know my feelings on Lock, I felt the same way - but honestly, the fact that we drafted someone else Rd1 and Risner Rd2 (and we moved down and used that capital to move back up), I didn't object to the price.    I will also say that Lock's play last season was way better than I would have ever expected.   It's very true as @lomaxgrUK points out that he doesn't have great pocket feel - but his ability to sense pressure and move away was still miles ahead of what we saw in Missouri.    His internal clock is still way better than advertised.   What's alarming is that he's not making the quick "easy" read - and maybe that's on the scheme (because Scangarelli's WCO certainly made it easy for Lock to figure it out).  The bad footwork with pressure was something we all knew he'd have to address (so far he hasn't, and that's led to a large part of the intermediate-deep issues with accuracy IMO).

This is what bothers me - you have a young QB who played pretty well at the end of last season - then you dump the OC that had helped him to get into that position and bring in an OC whose scheme is less suited to his talents.

When Scangs was fired and Shurmur hired I felt that the move would be an upgrade - but it is only an upgrade if the QB (the first half decent prospect in several years) benefits from the change. Clearly Lock is struggling in the new scheme and that makes the decision to fire Scangs a bad move. 

Now if Scangs was canned because it was felt that Shurmur was going to be an upgrade - then fair enough - but that brings into question the evaluation of Shurmur and the impact he would have on Lock. If Scangs was fired because he didn't get on with Fangio then that raises questions about Fangio. Unless Scangs was being openly disruptive within the organisation (and I can't see that given how hard he worked to get into the position of OC) then the buck stops with the GM and the HC. All of these people get very, very well paid to do their job and the onus is on the GM and the HC to lead and to figure out how the staff can work together on a professional level.

I know that AAA has been banging a drum about Fangio being a DC in HC clothing - but Fangio is clearly undermining his own chances of success by disrupting the development of Lock. He is not going to be given another new QB to work with - so he should be operating on the basis of 'how can I help Lock to become a successful NFL QB'.

Edited by jolly red giant
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Whatever, he can't be worse than Josh Rosen.

Now there were question marks about Rosen's commitment to playing football before he was drafted - but he really could not have landed in a worse situation in Arizona when he was drafted - and then he jumped from the frying pan into the fire. Personally I wouldn't have had a problem with Elway signing Rosen this year - I still think that he has the potential to be a good QB. Then again, he is probably in a much better situation to help him succeed, in Tampa than he would be in Denver.

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

Here is my stance with Lock and I am someone that liked Lock enough if they’d have taken him at #10 that year I’d have been fine with it.

Lock has shown plenty of flashes.  He has, at worst, above average physical attributes across the board.  Lock has the skill set to be a long time NFL starter and franchise QB.  Too an extent I also like his confident personality.

But.....I think his confidence is part of his lack of production and why fans think he’s good.  Just look at the quote after the Falcon’s game.  He’s trying to play like Mahomes, and he isn’t.  He’s statistically been terrible through 10 or so starts.  He has little feel in the pocket.  He’s had little feel in finding open targets.  He plays backyard football.

Lock plays like a gunslinger, but he also talks like one and his talk is mostly what is carrying him right now.  It continues getting older, every week, the more he loses and the more we all realize he isn’t good. 

Considering everything you said above, then add in Covid, number of starts, lack of offseason, injuries, team chemistry, change in OC, fit of OC, young OL, Vic's HC abilities and offensive strengths...my analysis is to let it ride this year and into next because this team desperately needs stability and continuity.