The Race to the Bottom

pwny

Just now, CWood21 said:

Pretty sure a win by the Jets and loss by the Jags effectively locks up the #1 pick for the Jags.

It does. It would take an impossible set of results (that mathematically cannot happen) for the Jets to have a worse SOS

1 minute ago, pwny said:

If these results hold, the only value week 17 has is whether or not we rotate selections with the Jets. But honestly, yeah it would be nice to pick first every round, but who the hell cares as long as we get #1?

I legitimately couldn't care less than I currently do right now. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 12:55 AM, Uncle Buck said:

I was planning on jumping ship from the Vikings at the end of the year, but I figure I might as well go through the stress of this whole process with the rest of Jaguar Nation.  I've been a fan of the Vikings since 1969 - the year of their first Super Bowl.  During that 50 years, they have never had the first overall pick in the draft even once.  The only times we have had it were in 1961 (the year of our inception) and 1968. 

As a Vikings fan for this long, I figured that I had been run through the wringer about every possible way.  I've been through 4 Super Bowl losses and six NFC Championship Game losses on top of that.  I heard that last year they broke the NFL record for most playoff losses by a franchise in the Super Bowl era (I think we are now at 30).  On a positive note, that means the Vikings have averaged a playoff appearance every other season since they entered the league in 1961.  Not too bad - until you take into consideration that after 60 years they STILL haven't won a Super Bowl.  That has gotten really old, and that's why I was ready for a change.

I have to say, this is a new situation for me.  It's like the stress leading up to a Super Bowl, but we're on the other end of it.  It's a strange feeling.  I'm just hoping and praying that the Jags lose the next two games, or that Belichick helps us out and tanks that Week 17 game against the Jets to keep Trevor out of his division.  I wouldn't put it past him.  :D

Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!!!!

Since you put it that way........
Thats a lot of regular season winning.......and A LOT of playoff losing.
You've earned a change 👍

Best of luck to you and your new team.....and happy holidays to you and yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Since you put it that way........
Thats a lot of regular season winning.......and A LOT of playoff losing.
You've earned a change 👍

Best of luck to you and your new team.....and happy holidays to you and yours.

Thanks, Leader.  It's not something I did without a lot of soul searching and thought.  It just got to the point where cheering for them had become "work."  This is all supposed to be something we do for the fun of it and that has pretty much left the equation.  I've watched my dad cheer for them my whole life too.  He has been with them since Day 1.  He used to get dressed up in a snowmobile suit and go out to Met Stadium with a thermos full of hot coffee to watch the Purple People Eaters play.  Now, he is 90 years old and is aging quickly.  It looks like he and I will never have the joy of cheering our team on to a Super Bowl win together.

I've been saying for a few years that the Vikings need to do whatever it takes to get themselves an elite quarterback.  They have literally tried everything else.  They have had that for a year here and there, but never for an extended period since Tarkenton retired.  I said if I were the team owner, I would have a garage sale and do whatever it takes to get that QB.  They are never going to do that unless they get extremely lucky.  The Jaguars actually did do what I thought the Vikings should do, so I liked that.  They are pretty much starting out at ground zero from a talent perspective, so it's almost like beginning with an expansion team.  I didn't want to just be a bandwagon-jumper, so this is a pretty good situation.  Great QB prospect, and nowhere to go but up.  I have not illusions that it's not going to take a while with the Jags.  They may never get there either, but at least I can do kind of like Frank Sinatra and say "[they] did it my way!" 

Anyway, thanks for the supportive words.  I'm sure there will be people who will call me a "bad" fan, but I've just decided that 50 years is long enough to put in without having to feel badly about finding a better situation.  I have been plenty loyal to them.  If they do go and win it all in the next few years, I'll still be happy for their fans because I know how they feel.  I wish them luck.

• Like 1