Week Eight-and-Half Recap: Depleted Packers Bear Decimated 49ers

mikebpackfan

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Good for you for being able to enjoy that.  I envy you.  For me, it's like watching a movie I already know the ending to on repeat, same movie once per week, and the ending isn't a very good one and it's not very enjoyable, either. 

That's good for top 200 games all time - the history of the NFL - to a guy named Richie James. 

Not trying to be mean to you man , but then why just not watch the games then.

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Good for you for being able to enjoy that.  I envy you.  For me, it's like watching a movie I already know the ending to on repeat, same movie once per week, and the ending isn't a very good one and it's not very enjoyable, either. 

That's good for top 200 games all time - the history of the NFL - to a guy named Richie James. 

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Just now, Packman04 said:

Because I'm a Packer fan.

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

Since we’re through 8 games, what’s a successful rest of season outlook for MVS? He’s on pace for 600+ yards and 6 TDs. 

3 games of 6-19 yards, 1 game of 100 yards, 2 games of no yards, 1 game of 175 yards, 1 game of three drops and a reverse. 

10 hours ago, N4L said:

I had the same thought. Mainly because noodle arm nick mullens looks like a middle school kid on the high school varsity team sometimes. The baby face isnt helping either lol  

Thats what happens when the niners dont have: Starting QB, LT, 3 Centers (4th center is our RG, who is also our backup LT, so that means we had our backup RGs play (plural) and then had no one to put at LT when skule was getting skuled), 3 top RBs, 3 best WRs, and George Kittle. I mean, thats friggen 12 guys missing on offense. Not to mention Bosa, Sherman... Not trying to take anything away from the game, because that was a beat down. You guys came out firing and had the lead from the first drive, so from a mental standpoint I think that means something to your team. 

Congrats on the win fellas! Looks like we wont meet again until 2022, which would be in Lambeau. Maybe I'll make the pilgrimage 

I’m getting really tired of the Niners schtick - where one year you guys are crap and harvest excellent draft picks, only to rebound the following year as world beaters.  You’ll again get great draft position this year, and for a team loaded with talent already (albeit injured this year), I can only imagine how dangerous you could be next year if healthy.  Screw you guys, and your schtick!  😜

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

why doesn't every team use a version of the tampa-2 against us? I feel like if you keep Davante under 100 yards then you beat GB.

lG2FevB.gif

2 Safeties playing back makes you bad against the run. The counterpoint might be that both safeties ended up having to miss a tackle to allow that run. My counter-counterpoint to that would be that such thing happens when you force Safeties to make open field tackles on RBs, and also that even before they missed the tackle, that was still a gain of 9 yards. 

7JCQl0j.gif

The utilization of the RBs is a big reason. You could make the counter argument here that the CB didn't even bother to try and force an inside release to help his overhead safety, but having both RBs out in the pattern makes things difficult for CBs. Williams also had a hole shot in this game. 

SOuM8ZS.gif

Z7IQhjp.gif

The other big issue with the Tampa-2 is the utilization of speed in the slot that's emerged since it's last heavy usage. There's not an ILB alive that's gonna run down the seam with MVS or Adams on a post route. This was technically Cover-4, but the Cover-4 puts less stress on the Safeties than the Cover-2/Tampa-2. Putting your safeties in a position where MVS or Adams gets 20 yards to build up speed and come at them untouched is a recipe for a loss. There's just enough teams that run enough 2 and 3 vertical concepts that the Cover-2 can definitely come back to kill you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

For the game. Maybe MVS has some confidence now- that would be big.

Jackson doesn't need to play anymore... Liked that Hollman looked serviceable. Him taking Jackson's snaps would be nice.

I too would like to see what Hollman can offer while King is out.  However, that is also development that Jackson can get with more snaps.  Hollman was one of the handful of guys that I really wanted to watch this preseason, but it never happened. I think both guys could have benefitted from some more "in-game" situations.  I am probably more in Jackson's camp than most around here, but at the same time, I wish there was a non-injury way we could get to see Hollman a little more.  If either of the two could be a capable starter, we could save a boatload of money by letting King walk.  But I am not so sure that we have that luxury, and if letting King walk means taking another CB in the first to replace him, I would rather just pay King.

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Do not sleep on the Bears. That style of defense is going to give the Packers fits. 

Agreed. For some reason everybody wants to keep talking the Bears down or taking them lightly. Sure - they've got some serious OL problems. How solvable....I've no clue. Foles can be erratic - but - give him some time....they've got some decent players on offense and D.

Hopefully TN takes them down another notch and gives us a two game spread. Then when we play (and beat) them.....we can consider them out of our hair and a bottom feeder playoff team at best.