2021 Head Coaching Prospects

Sugashane

I know I know. Down economic year, time left on Nagy and Pace's deals, winning record, yadda yadda. We can still debate who is a solid prospect and who isn't.

Who are some of the guys you are interested in as HC hires next year?

Here's mine -

Byron Leftwich - guy has been praised by Arians constantly and with Brady (who was "done" for like the 5th year in a row  lol) off to the best start in Bucs history. He is handling the GOAT and aided in a massive transition that I don't think enough people recognize. Brady has been under McDaniels and that system for basically his whole career, reading the field from short to deep. With Arians being super aggressive they read the field from deep to short, so he has Brady doing that and doing it damn well after Brady had done the same thing for 19 seasons. Dude has personality and toughness that seems to carry over to his coaching style, apparently he will chew on anyone regardless of their pay.

Greg Roman - He has shown he can work magic with mobile QBs. He made people think Kaep was a starter and has Jackson playing at an elite level, completely retooling his throwing motions and getting his accuracy significantly better. Can he do the same elevation with pocket passers though? Or does he rely on being able to alter launch points for his QBs and rush points for passrushers? Good questions, but I don't think he is an expert at building fundamentals, I think he has been working with clay and slowly trying to make them elite passers too.

Joe Brady - Too soon? He's practically a kid at 31. ut he has worked with Sean Payton, Pete Carmichael, and made Burrow look like football Jesus last season. Now he has the Panthers offense playing good ball without Okung and that McCaffery kid that most of us think is pretty good. Bridgewater is talented but far from special and he is playing pretty well. Is he the new McVay? Young kid who can support his QB to get the most out of him? If so, he is worth snagging.

Matt Campbell - I prefer guys who will call the plays so we can get a system that remains in place for over a decade, while not the OC type Campbell has shown to be a leader and has ties to being an OL coach and run game coach, both of which are major support to a QB being able to produce. He seems to really be able to rally the troops too, having made a solid W/L record without top tier talent. Not who I am the most keen on, but I just like the dude as a HC.

Eric Bieniemy - Pass. Nagy is the guy who commands that offense, and I'm not falling for that twice. Last time he was the real  driving force in the offense was in college with Colorado, where they were 109th and 120th in the country. Not worth it, I don't believe he replicates anything near the current success without a HOF QB and elite talent around. Won't happen here so someone else can waste 4 years.

Arthur Smith - Titans have suddenly turned into an imposing offense. Arthur made the switch from Mariota to Tannehill and for like 17 weeks or something he was matching Patrick Mahomes' stats. Seriously, how is that not bigger news?! That is insane production from talent that overall isn't remotely close to what KC has. Henry is better than any KC RB, then KC owns every other skill position match up in spades, it isn't even close. But here they are, 5th in yards, 4th in rushing (the top 3 have mobile QBs that inflate their numbers as well), and 6th in points per game. I mean, wow.

Tom Clements (AZ PGC/QB Coach) - does he finally get recognition? Clements is criminally unrecognized for his work with QBs by fans. He is currently the guy Kingsbury has mentoring Murray, but he has helped Grbac throw for 4100 yards and 28 TDs, Favre and Rodgers in Green Bay for 10 years, and now has come back to work with Murray. Is he wanting to get a shot at HC or just comfortable as a QB whisperer?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Honestly right now Joe Brady and Byron Leftwich are my two top guys. Brady has produced with average talent and called a hell of a game vs KC. Leftwich has jus done a great job in TB. It's a toss up atm.

I like Brady more and I think it will be another year before he gets a HC job so we may just be in luck.

Although I somehow hope we get a new HC for next season.

Edited by topwop1

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not going to get to deep into this until he is actually fired.

I don’t think he will be.

I think we will end up having to wait many more 8-8 seasons.

I wonder if many of the guys on the Bears think negatively of Nagy. If they share the same opinions of Kyle Long, they do think negatively of him. It's easy to say they think that way now, but it doesn't seem like Long was ever a fan.

It'll be interesting to see/hear if things leak out if (when) they continue to lose.

On 11/7/2020 at 5:24 PM, Sugashane said:

Tom Clements (AZ PGC/QB Coach) - does he finally get recognition? Clements is criminally unrecognized for his work with QBs by fans. He is currently the guy Kingsbury has mentoring Murray, but he has helped Grbac throw for 4100 yards and 28 TDs, Favre and Rodgers in Green Bay for 10 years, and now has come back to work with Murray. Is he wanting to get a shot at HC or just comfortable as a QB whisperer?

Didn't he get a shot as a HC? 

It won't matter. It'll still be the same ****ty product on the field. We'll end up with whatever coach is willing to deal with all the dysfunction at Halas Hall and willing to work cheap. He'll come in, waste a few years and be replaced. It's been the same damn story since the 80's.

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I wonder if many of the guys on the Bears think negatively of Nagy. If they share the same opinions of Kyle Long, they do think negatively of him. It's easy to say they think that way now, but it doesn't seem like Long was ever a fan.

It'll be interesting to see/hear if things leak out if (when) they continue to lose.

Winning solves most issues, but showing absolute ineptitude in your "specialty" is a tough pill to swallow. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Didn't he get a shot as a HC? 

No sir. Stepped away from the game for a few years. I kinda wanted him to be in the XFL. 

Edited by Sugashane

22 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What did Kyle Long say?

11 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He makes very passive aggressive remarks on twitter about Nagy most Sundays

Another former Bears OL Ted Larsen has made a similar passive aggressive comment about Nagy.

Same with Trubisky.

Say what you want about those players but I'm sensing that Nagy is not as highly thought of among players  as some make him out to be  

• Like 1

Long said the staff didn't have the balls to tell him directly that they were moving on from him.

He's also public criticized the staff for not putting players in the right position to succeed.

Pretty telling stuff IMO coming from a guy with as much clout as Long 

12 hours ago, Pool said:

It won't matter. It'll still be the same ****ty product on the field. We'll end up with whatever coach is willing to deal with all the dysfunction at Halas Hall and willing to work cheap. He'll come in, waste a few years and be replaced. It's been the same damn story since the 80's.

Hey while I'm not going to argue that the Bears won't be ****ty, what makes you say they've been cheap as of late? They have been paying a couple coaches and GMs concurrently, spent a ton of money on facilities... as for cap spending, ever team does it and you can't look at a team paying Jimmy Graham ten trillion dollars to not retire and say they're cheap.  We may suck, but they're spending a lot of money to suck. 

• Like 1