2021 Head Coaching Prospects

Sugashane

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

There is a ton of work that needs to be done before the interviews happen.

You want the Bears, an incompetent franchise, to do that work in 2 weeks. I want them to do it in 7 weeks. My plan gives George and his crew way more time to do background work and to check references around the league.

You want the dumbest kid in class doing a huge project in less time.

And why can't they do research with Pace still in place?

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

And why can't they do research with Pace still in place?

They most certainly can and probably are...but it just makes for an awkward situation don't you think?

If they start to put out feelers that they're interested in certain guys as Pace's replacement I'm sure word will circle back to Pace at some point before the end of the season..and that just seems like bad taste IMO.

I'm hoping that the reaaon they haven't fired him yet is because they are looking to make an even bigger change at the President position aka Ted Phillips' position. 

There's some buzz out there already that George is contemplating a major shakeup by having Ted reassigned to a another role in the organization that is more focused on the business side vs football ops.  If so then that is the change that may finally spark things to head in the right direction.

I really hope that's the case. Ever since Phillips has took over this team has only had 6 playoff appearances in over 25 years. That is absolutely horrid.

12 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

They most certainly can and probably are...but it just makes for an awkward situation don't you think?

If they start to put out feelers that they're interested in certain guys as Pace's replacement I'm sure word will circle back to Pace at some point before the end of the season..and that just seems like bad taste IMO.

I'm hoping that the reaaon they haven't fired him yet is because they are looking to make an even bigger change at the President position aka Ted Phillips' position. 

There's some buzz out there already that George is contemplating a major shakeup by having Ted reassigned to a another role in the organization that is more focused on the business side vs football ops.  If so then that is the change that may finally spark things to head in the right direction.

I really hope that's the case. Ever since Phillips has took over this team has only had 6 playoff appearances in over 25 years. That is absolutely horrid.

6 playoff appearances in 25 years is brutal. Who was the guy before Ted Phillips?

13 hours ago, topwop1 said:

This is the path that the organization must go down.  If you have to hire a consultant to hire a GM than its time to move Ted out of his role.  If not you’ll just be repeating history. 

1 hour ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

This is the path that the organization must go down.  If you have to hire a consultant to hire a GM than its time to move Ted out of his role.  If not you’ll just be repeating history. 

Agreed.  There is some hope that George is getting a little more comfortable in his role since taking over as team Chairman in 2010.

He apparently leaned on Phillips a lot for the hiring of both Emery & Pace and neither were able to figure out the QB spot.

Maybe it's time George takes more charge and puts things in someone else's hands who has more experience in NFL front office management & player procurement.

Edited by topwop1

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yeah but Michael McCaskey, if anything, was a cancer.

Ya most of us long term fans know his reputation was bad and that he was primarily responsible for the letting go of Ditka.

I was just pointing out that ever since he stepped down as team president and hired Phillips the team has been worse off.  Not that he was a great President himself or anything.

Just a cluster **** of an organization. LOL

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Man, the more Iowa State that I watch, the more attractive Matt Campbell looks.

Same. I mentioned him in the OP but he has definitively raised in my ranks.

David Pollack has said he would be great for the Texas job.

“If you’re going to give me (Matt) Campbell, I’d take Campbell,” Pollack said. “Campbell is one, the guy to me. Here’s what I want if I’m at Texas. First of all, I’ve got to realize I don’t get the same elite talent I used to. I want a guy that has proven to me that, if their roster says eight wins, they can get 10. If their roster says 10 wins, they’re going to get 11. I want that kind of coach. I want a coach that has a vision that’s going to embrace that kind of stuff, embrace development. I don’t think there’s anybody better than Matt Campbell for that.”

That's a ringing endorsement for Chicago too man. lol

• Like 1