Jump to content
Sugashane

2021 Head Coaching Prospects

Recommended Posts

It’s gonna be brought up eventually so I’ll throw the name out there now - Jim Harbaugh.  He’s either in his last year or second to last year of his contract at Michigan.  Michigan is off to a rough start this year.

 

will he actually leave UM?  Will the bears be willing to pay his asking price?  What other teams would be interested in him?  I think it’s a stretch that he’d come here, but I still think it’s worth keeping his name in the back of your head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

It’s gonna be brought up eventually so I’ll throw the name out there now - Jim Harbaugh.  He’s either in his last year or second to last year of his contract at Michigan.  Michigan is off to a rough start this year.

 

will he actually leave UM?  Will the bears be willing to pay his asking price?  What other teams would be interested in him?  I think it’s a stretch that he’d come here, but I still think it’s worth keeping his name in the back of your head.

I don’t want Harbaugh. But if it gets rid of Nagy and Pace I would accept it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

It’s gonna be brought up eventually so I’ll throw the name out there now - Jim Harbaugh.  He’s either in his last year or second to last year of his contract at Michigan.  Michigan is off to a rough start this year.

 

will he actually leave UM?  Will the bears be willing to pay his asking price?  What other teams would be interested in him?  I think it’s a stretch that he’d come here, but I still think it’s worth keeping his name in the back of your head.

Getting Harbaugh is like the Sox getting La Russa. Big name and probably better than the previous guy, but if you take a step back it's a blah move

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t want Harbaugh. But if it gets rid of Nagy and Pace I would accept it.

I'll take him over Nagy even if that means we have to keep Pace. He built a winning team in SF that actually had an offense that was functional.

I think he knows a thing or two more than Nagy does about how to be a head coach.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Greg Roman

Roman would interesting given how run heavy his offenses basically always are.... (assuming of course he doesn't just hand the offensive reigns to his OC)..... I feel like we'd be a pretty unattractive target to him for that same reason, however. Our offensive line is laughably bad, and it's hard to have a ton of faith in Montgomery right now, even if it's pretty arguable that the OL is by far his biggest problem. We simply don't have the players or the draft picks to run the offense he typically runs until year 3.

I will say, however...... That a Roman offense would likely be the best bet for Lance in particular, but potentially also Fields under center, given their running ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CBears019 said:

It’s gonna be brought up eventually so I’ll throw the name out there now - Jim Harbaugh.  He’s either in his last year or second to last year of his contract at Michigan.  Michigan is off to a rough start this year.

 

will he actually leave UM?  Will the bears be willing to pay his asking price?  What other teams would be interested in him?  I think it’s a stretch that he’d come here, but I still think it’s worth keeping his name in the back of your head.

Would he be worth his asking price? That's the big question to me, and I don't see it. That being said he had one of the most physically imposing rosters I've ever seen when he played, had some seriously good staffs, and he elevated Kaep to look like a real starting QB. 

 

Granted a number of those stud players like Willis, Bowman, Smith, Iupati, etc were there before he got there. But still he added to it. 

 

Still a no for me. 

 

3 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I will say, however...... That a Roman offense would likely be the best bet for Lance in particular, but potentially also Fields under center, given their running ability.

Yep. Exactly why I put it together in my mock. 

As a cheaper alternative Jamie Newman might be available in the late 2nd and then King is likely available in the 6th round as a back up if he wants to take the Bears 1st and trade back to garner more OL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 11:58 PM, WindyCity said:

Joe Brady

Greg Roman

Brian Daboll

 

Those would be my big 3.

Roman has some red flags for me now after Lamar Jackson openly criticized the coaching by saying other teams are calling out their plays at the line of scrimmage. They've become too predictable this year on O and is why we are seeing a regression with Lamar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Roman has some red flags for me now after Lamar Jackson openly criticized the coaching by saying other teams are calling out their plays at the line of scrimmage. They've become too predictable this year on O and is why we are seeing a regression with Lamar.

Right. They should have come plays, they do them well so there's no reason not to. But they need to have a variance or two from each one, especially if they have consistent calls. Get them to overplay the normal one and bootleg back to the left or a double move for example. 

 

Shouldn't be that hard if they've mastered certain plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Roman has some red flags for me now after Lamar Jackson openly criticized the coaching by saying other teams are calling out their plays at the line of scrimmage. They've become too predictable this year on O and is why we are seeing a regression with Lamar.

Last year, Roman's offense was predicated on heavy sets with 3TE's.  It was unique and the element of surprise gave the offense the advantage. Solid system as a one off but, as I've said all offseason, it's not sustainable (as we've seen). It may work in college to some degree but not in the NFL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Wisconsin destroy Michigan right now.  It’s pretty safe to say. Jim Harbaugh is going to be available.  

Personally I’ve always like Jim Harbaugh. From his days of Ditka grabbing him by the face mask and yelling at him on the sideline to his days with the 49ers.  I liked him as a player and a coach.  I think he did a great job with the 49ers.  He elevated Alex Smith’s game and he almost won a super bowl with Kapernick.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Watching Wisconsin destroy Michigan right now.  It’s pretty safe to say. Jim Harbaugh is going to be available.  

Personally I’ve always like Jim Harbaugh. From his days of Ditka grabbing him by the face mask and yelling at him on the sideline to his days with the 49ers.  I liked him as a player and a coach.  I think he did a great job with the 49ers.  He elevated Alex Smith’s game and he almost won a super bowl with Kapernick.    

Harbaugh is ok, but I'm not sure he is as good as he appeared. They had some absolute studs on defense and OL, a lot before he got there. That being said his offenses scored the 11th most 3 years in a row and 25th one year. I'm just not sure he could elevate a bad offense, he clearly can't in college, and Nagy proved from his stint as playcaller in KC that anyone can succeed with elite talent. He seems like a Lovie level guy. If the team is good he will produce but there is still a low floor you better be ready to hit.

 

I say swing for the fences. Give me Joe Brady as HC and Joe Horitz or Ed Dodds.

 

Borgonzi scares me because I think he would want Bieniemy, who I really don't want. Riddick is an interesting choice as a GM as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2020 at 11:21 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Last year, Roman's offense was predicated on heavy sets with 3TE's.  It was unique and the element of surprise gave the offense the advantage. Solid system as a one off but, as I've said all offseason, it's not sustainable (as we've seen). It may work in college to some degree but not in the NFL.

 

It is predicated on a very good OL and they have struggled with injury.

They are still 8th in the league with 28.5 ppg. That would take Nagy 2 games to score.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...