Burning random questions!

thebestever6

I'm dexid to create a post just for random questions like a random thought thread because stuff always jumps in my mind I want an opinion on lol hope it doesn't get locked.

1) Why did Derrick Henry fall to the second round?

2) How come Miami didn't get more for Tanneh if Denver Traded a 4th for a washed up Flacco?

3) how come no one debates Phil Jackson and Micheal Jordan the way they debate Bellicheck and Brady for Impact on their own legacy and dynasty?.

- is it just because of the fact he won multiple with Kobe and Shaq? Were those two years between title debated in the same way?

How come Donavon McNabb isn't loved in Philly like Brian Dawkins? He played on a broken ankle before.

How come Mel Kiper didn't retire like he said he would if Jimmy Clausen was a bust?

How the Hell did the Eagles get a top 5 second round pick for AJ Feely?

Edited by thebestever6

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

How come Donavon McNabb isn't loved in Philly like Brian Dawkins? He played on a broken ankle before.

How come Mel Kiper didn't retire like he said he would if Jimmy Clausen was a bust?

Philly hates Santa. 

That's a high bar that McNabb wasn't crossing, no matter how much chicken noodle soup he passed out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm dexid to create a post just for random questions like a random thought thread because stuff always jumps in my mind I want an opinion on lol hope it doesn't get locked.

2) How come Miami didn't get more for Tanneh if Denver Traded a 4th for a washed up Flacco?

3) how come no one debates Phil Jackson and Micheal Jordan the way they debate Bellicheck and Brady for Impact on their own legacy and dynasty?.

- is it just because of the fact he won multiple with Kobe and Shaq? Were those two years between title debated in the same way?

1. He's a RB and the league was scared off that he was going to be too big. It also can be difficult to project a RB when he's playing behind a tremendous offensive line, particularly a taller back who traditionally have had problems starting and stopping.

2. Tannehill had far more bargaining power due to his contract status and the Dolphins were going to have to eat part of his contract to move him, which depreciated his value.

3. Because it happened 25 years ago, before the 24 hour news cycle. ESPN didn't need to fill hours of content with nonsense stories. Nobody really cared about Phil Jackson's argument as the best coach of all time. There also wasn't the ugly divorce that there was between Brady and Belichick. Jordan retired, again. If there was any unhappiness with the organization, it wasn't that Jackson wasn't allowing him freedom, it was that Krause wasn't writing checks. Without the ugly breakup, there was no story of who was going to be proven right. Jordan wasn't playing anymore to refer back to on a weekly basis. By the time the Lakers were winning rings, Jackson was just cool with things.

The other point to remember is that the NBA media likes Phil Jackson. The NFL media doesn't like Bill Belichick. There was no internal motivation to question Phil Jackson. Questioning Belichick's legacy is fun because Belichick is an *******.

Also because basketball is a far more player oriented and individually dominated sport. Tom Brady spends 55% of the game on the sideline watching. He then spends another 40% of his 45% of the game handing the ball off to a RB. So that's 73% of the game he has a very minimal impact on, and in the other 27%, he's hugely reliant on coaching, blocking, and receivers for success. In basketball, a team's best player can take 7 shots in a row and nobody really bats an eye about it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

1. We're not allowed to talk about the reason on this board. Many in Philly felt that McNabb didn't . . . look the part of a franchise QB. Dawkins always looked the part of a stud safety.

2. Because he had no legal obligation to and was being paid huge sums of money?

3. He went 4-0 in weeks 13-16 in the 2012 to push the Eagles from 8-3 and in trouble to 12-3 and the 1 seed in the playoffs. The Dolphins had finished 3rd in the league in scoring defense and thought that if they could get their offense up to a top 12 unit, that they were superbowl contenders. Very similar to the Jaguars trading Nick Foles to the Bears. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

How'd Marty Shottenheimer get fired after going 14-2? Is that the best record ever for a coaching firing?

Because he had been leading an unbelievably talented Chargers team for 5 years and had never won a playoff game. This on top of a dreadful playoff record with the Chiefs (3-7) and he already had a reputation as someone who couldn't win in the playoffs. 

Yes, best record for a coaching firing in the 16 game era. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because he had been leading an unbelievably talented Chargers team for 5 years and had never won a playoff game. This on top of a dreadful playoff record with the Chiefs (3-7) and he already had a reputation as someone who couldn't win in the playoffs. 

Yes, best record for a coaching firing in the 16 game era. 

To add to this, Shotty lost 4 valuable coaches in that offseason (Cam Cameron, Wade Phillips, Rod Chudzinski and Greg Manusky) and wanted to add his brother as DC to replace Wade Phillips. His son was already QBs coach and it is reported that then owner Dean Spanos was not relatively fond of hiring another family member to the coaching staff. 

• Like 1

I think the trend was looking for RBs that could do everything - and everyone was concerned of the mileage he had from Alabama. 600 carries total (395 carries alone in 2015) for a physical runner is a concern.

Flacco had a big run that one time, which upped his value. Tannehill was never really good enough to warrant consideration - he put up empty stats at most.

Recency bias, perhaps? I'm pretty sure in the 90s, it was more of a debate. Once you had time to reflect, you thought "wow, that was impressive".

There was also no internet to argue on (not like this specifically) so those with differing opinions kept their mouth shut to not sound like an idiot.

No cheating also helped.

Philadelphia is a very irrational city, from what I can tell - but McNabb was hated the minute he was drafted #2 overall. It didn't help that every time he spoke, he'd throw his own teammates under the bus - I don't think McNabb was doing it intentionally, he was just oblivious to what he was saying.

Because Kiper has no other discernable skill and still needed to make money. Nobody ever lives up to a proclamation like that.

Feely looked the part in spot duty when he got his opportunity - he's not the last QB Andy Reid got maximum production from, y'know.

How'd Marty Shottenheimer get fired after going 14-2? Is that the best record ever for a coaching firing?

I think so, and - despite the 14-2 record - he underachieved. That San Diego team should have been a dynasty, Phillip Rivers and Ladanian Tomlinson with a borderline elite defense should have won a few SBs - not just one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Because Kiper has no other discernable skill and still needed to make money. Nobody ever lives up to a proclamation like that.

Lmfao I'm dead 🤣 I cried at this lol. I'm just picturing Mel being a Taxi driver in New York telling everyone how he was wrong on Jimmy Clausen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Feely looked the part in spot duty when he got his opportunity - he's not the last QB Andy Reid got maximum production from, y'know.

That's what I mean though Like I Know kevin Kolb was hyped I was kinda shocked they got that value even they had no leverage lol I think it was the last year of his deal too.

And I remember Jay Feely having his moments but I don't remember it being that good to warrant a second lol. I don't even think it surpassed old man Jeff Garcia's miracules run with them.

1 minute ago, August4th said:

what's Justin Tucker trade value?

would you been fine with your team that is contending trade a 1st for him and would Raven fans accept that?

I'd have a problem with it at age 30 if I'm any team not sure which kicker besides vinitari that has that longevity. I also am a fan of mcmanus and think he's fine with the altitude in Denver.

If it's 24 year old absolutely a first heck that guy the Bucs kicker was drafted in the second just from college success which somehow doesn't translate to the pros lol even if kicking is kicking.

Edited by thebestever6

2 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

To add to this, Shotty lost 4 valuable coaches in that offseason (Cam Cameron, Wade Phillips, Rod Chudzinski and Greg Manusky) and wanted to add his brother as DC to replace Wade Phillips. His son was already QBs coach and it is reported that then owner Dean Spanos was not relatively fond of hiring another family member to the coaching staff. 

Well nepotism would annoy me but that's a lot of staff turnover in a year. Funniest part is wasn't Shotty right before Norv Turner?

I'd much rather see what Shot has than replace him with Turner who was a complete flop. I think chargers probably had poor candidates for the job due to having to come into better a 14- 2 record lot of pressure. Never saw Turner as that appealing.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. We're not allowed to talk about the reason on this board. Many in Philly felt that McNabb didn't . . . look the part of a franchise QB. Dawkins always looked the part of a stud safety.

I don't want to speak for anyone but I'll add Randall Cunningham seemed beloved. I think McNabb just had an off putting personality to some. Sorta like Alex Rodriguez. He also seemed to choke a lot in big games. May not be true (like Romo) but it seemed that way.