Jump to content
thebestever6

Burning random questions!

Recommended Posts

1. Why is there a disproportionate amount of pro football players from rural areas or small towns? You'd think with population difference between city and rural, it would skew heavily in favor of players born in cities. But it doesn't really. 

 

2. This requires you to have a watched a bit of rugby: Why don't NFL teams incorporate some rugby into plays? I guess it's kind of like hook and lateral. Draw up plays where the ball carrier can pass it when he's about to be tackled. It can be done. H & L seems to always catch defenses out, you can be SO creative with this. 

 

3. Why does the obsession with QB height STILL persist? Wilson, Murray, Jackson, Brees? Nah....doesn't count. Eh....

 

4. Is Jamal Adams overrated? Seems like he excels as a pass rusher (if he doesn't have to take on an OL) or a box player, but is getting thoroughly torched this season....(I'm only asking)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

1. Why is there a disproportionate amount of pro football players from rural areas or small towns? You'd think with population difference between city and rural, it would skew heavily in favor of players born in cities. But it doesn't really. 

If you've ever seen HS football here in Ohio or in Pennsylvania, you'd know the answer to this (let alone Texas). While football in the cities here is still a big deal, it's just as big in rural areas. Literally a good portion of these small towns shutdown completely on Friday nights.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

1. Why is there a disproportionate amount of pro football players from rural areas or small towns? You'd think with population difference between city and rural, it would skew heavily in favor of players born in cities. But it doesn't really. 

My guess?

1. Space

I think basketball players tend to come out of cities way more than rural areas (can't verify this, just based on my casual observation) because cities have more courts than fields, mostly due to space and maintenance. Easier to build and maintain a blacktop than a football field.

2. More opportunities to do something else; for players and spectators alike.

Cities also have more things to do/alternatives/other way to shine. Your average New Yorker could care less about going to a HS football game, and certainly won't know who's playing aside from their kid unless someone's a hometown superstar. You don't get much juice as a student by choosing football over basketball or baseball. In small towns, it seems like they put a huge spotlight on football programs and it becomes one of the clearest ways to be somebody in the town and then go on to college/become stupid rich is to play football.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

My input is that your first para is correct - Kraft and Brady are chums forever. Brady is the son Kraft never had (....have you seen his actual son....eesh)

And your second paragraph is correct too, by literally ALL account from ex-players I've heard across all our teams' podcasts, different forms of media, the players love Bill and say he's totally different and warm away from football. Knows a lot about people's personal lives, because he's actively interested in them, their families etc. In work mode he's clearly the type of person that doesn't care if/who he upsets by making his decisions, and he doesn't care that he comes across a total tool in press conferences. 

It's crazy how much I know given I doy best to not follow them lol. I figured that about bb and that's why everyone under him don't all succeed there's a little extra that makes you the greatest coach ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

4. Is Jamal Adams overrated? Seems like he excels as a pass rusher (if he doesn't have to take on an OL) or a box player, but is getting thoroughly torched this season....(I'm only asking)

 

Run defense, pass rush, zone coverage, man vs TE/RB, tracking mobile QBs are all things he does exceptionally well. Seattle has for whatever reason given him man coverage responsibility against WRs and that’s as far from what he does well as anything a safety is supposed to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the draft, does anybody feel like the concept of the draft is kind of silly? Like I get the idea of why it exists in the way it does. But generally speaking the idea that a team picks you and then you must play for that team that has picked you is quite silly. I think a player should have the opportunity to refuse to play for a team and it not be criticised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

On the draft, does anybody feel like the concept of the draft is kind of silly? Like I get the idea of why it exists in the way it does. But generally speaking the idea that a team picks you and then you must play for that team that has picked you is quite silly. I think a player should have the opportunity to refuse to play for a team and it not be criticised. 

I mean, that's the way the job works. If they don't want to play, they don't have to. But in fairness to the laegue, why would bad teams stay bad forever? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

On the draft, does anybody feel like the concept of the draft is kind of silly? Like I get the idea of why it exists in the way it does. But generally speaking the idea that a team picks you and then you must play for that team that has picked you is quite silly. I think a player should have the opportunity to refuse to play for a team and it not be criticised. 

You don't have to play for anyone at all.  You can always use your degree and pursue a career outside of football.  Asking to not be criticised in any walk of life is childish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Troy Brown said:

I mean, that's the way the job works. If they don't want to play, they don't have to. But in fairness to the laegue, why would bad teams stay bad forever? 

But I don’t think that every QB would refuse to play for certain team. Like for instance, with the Jets if Trevor Lawrence refuses then I don’t think Justin Fields or Trey Lance would refuse to be the number one pick as well. My point is that there are a number of teams that need a QB, so why should the best one always go to the team that sucks the most? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kip Smithers said:

But I don’t think that every QB would refuse to play for certain team. Like for instance, with the Jets if Trevor Lawrence refuses then I don’t think Justin Fields or Trey Lance would refuse to be the number one pick as well. My point is that there are a number of teams that need a QB, so why should the best one always go to the team that sucks the most? 

Because it's the best way to make sure the league stays on an equal playing ground. I can't imagine a better system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

You don't have to play for anyone at all.  You can always use your degree and pursue a career outside of football.  Asking to not be criticised in any walk of life is childish.

First off, where did I say nobody should be criticised in any walk of life? Secondly to say that you either accept where you get picked or you find a different career is silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Because it's the best way to make sure the league stays on an equal playing ground. I can't imagine a better system

I mean not really. Look at Free agency, are we gonna act like the best players don’t or the better players don’t go to the worst teams? Happens all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kip Smithers said:

I mean not really. Look at Free agency, are we gonna act like the best players don’t or the better players don’t go to the worst teams? Happens all the time. 

So... you'd have to dismantle the salary cap. They go to bad teams because they offer more money than the good teams because they don't have any money tied into good players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

So... you'd have to dismantle the salary cap. They go to bad teams because they offer more money than the good teams because they don't have any money tied into good players

Exactly. Even another example with undrafted players. They get to choose where they go and all the supposed best undrafted players do not go to the best teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kip Smithers said:

Exactly. Even another example with undrafted players. They get to choose where they go and all the supposed best undrafted players do not go to the best teams. 

Because it is possible they are not offering the best undrafted players contracts because they don't need them.  The salary cap is a good thing, not a bad thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...