Burning random questions!

thebestever6

2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Every single best player? No, but without a hard cap in the MLB, we see pretty loaded teams frequently 

Yeah but in football we love to say the quarter back position is by far the most important. There is only room for one starter on each team.  The options for quarterback for any team is always gonna be present. Players, by and large, just wanna play so they’re willing to do so on a crappy team if it comes to it. I know very little about baseball but I’m pretty sure it’s deemed unpredictable and I don’t see the Yankees in the World Series every year.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

Yeah but in football we love to say the quarter back position is by far the most important. There is only room for one starter on each team.  The options for quarterback for any team is always gonna be present. Players, by and large, just wanna play so they’re willing to do so on a crappy team if it comes to it. I know very little about baseball but I’m pretty sure it’s deemed unpredictable and I don’t see the Yankees in the World Series every year.

They do have far and away the most championships. How do you keep fanbases on smaller market/poorer teams/bad teams engaged if they aren't even going to be entitled to the top prospects the sport has to offer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Brown said:

They do have far and away the most championships. How do you keep fanbases on smaller market/poorer teams/bad teams engaged if they aren't even going to be entitled to the top prospects the sport has to offer?

Like I said, the competition for playing time will help navigate that. For instance, let’s say Dallas want Trevor Lawrence, that would mean Dak would be available for who ever wants him or needs him. These smaller market teams or what have you would still have a chance at these players. Look at the NBA even with a salary cap (albeit a soft cap) the best players don’t stay in the small markets even with the incentives they have installed over the years. I can football in Europe as an example. Fans are still engaged even though the moreso than any other sport the same teams compete each year. 

EDIT: also you don’t really have to get rid of the salary cap to allow this to happen, why can’t the player decide to go to the team that can best fit him under their cap? 

Edited by Kip Smithers

9 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

On the draft, does anybody feel like the concept of the draft is kind of silly? Like I get the idea of why it exists in the way it does. But generally speaking the idea that a team picks you and then you must play for that team that has picked you is quite silly. I think a player should have the opportunity to refuse to play for a team and it not be criticised. 

You thinking what if football went the European route with soccer?

Players just get scouted from an early age and put into teams' academies etc? 

On 11/10/2020 at 11:34 AM, MWil23 said:

If you've ever seen HS football here in Ohio or in Pennsylvania, you'd know the answer to this (let alone Texas). While football in the cities here is still a big deal, it's just as big in rural areas. Literally a good portion of these small towns shutdown completely on Friday nights.

Here in SC, Clowney, Marcus Lattimore,  Darius Leonard and Deebo just off the top of my head are from the middle of nowhere.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, Kip Smithers said:

On the draft, does anybody feel like the concept of the draft is kind of silly? Like I get the idea of why it exists in the way it does. But generally speaking the idea that a team picks you and then you must play for that team that has picked you is quite silly. I think a player should have the opportunity to refuse to play for a team and it not be criticised. 

Nah, I like the draft as it is. How many people are “paying their dues” working at a crappy base, making less than they want, under a crappy supervisor, with a crappy commute, doing something they hate - all with the expectation that one day they’ll get a promotion? I get that there’s a school of people who are completely anti-“I don’t feel bad for millionaires”, but don’t exactly want the pendulum to swing the other way, right? 

Logistically, I don’t see how you could get the NFLPA to agree to have this only for QBs and not for all players. And if you did it for all players, you’d have super teams form, which I think the NFL fan base can collectively agree isn’t good when made artificially like that. 

Even with all of that, players could bite the hands that feed and say that an organization isn’t good enough for them - they’ll just take a PR hit. And anyone saying that that PR hit is even unfair, is quite frankly soft. You get the million dollar contract, essentially pick where you want to play, for which coach, in which offense, elevate yourself in value over your peers (because not everyone is going to act like this) - and the punishment is the media will be mean? And that’s unfair? Yeaaaah, I hope the consensus never swings that way lol.

I've seen this a few times, but the example I remember most is our loss to Baltimore last year. It's a defensive tactic employed against run heavy teams. 

It's sending an ILB sprinting and crashing into the C, ideally timed well at the snap. It goes completely against what LBs are taught in run defense, the discipline and patience etc.

Q; what is the thinking/purpose behind this? I'm looking for more in-depth than just 'to stop the run...' 😛 

On 11/7/2020 at 11:02 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Philly hates Santa. 

That's a high bar that McNabb wasn't crossing, no matter how much chicken noodle soup he passed out. 

McNabb is an a-hole. That's all you need to know.

He is a passive aggressive elitist snowflake. How dare us peasants ever boo him when he is 12 for 30 for 92 yards with 4 worm burners!

He was sad that the Eagles FO got booed by 30 drunks for not drafting Ricky Williams. He never got over it.

He complained about his teammates lack of talent and he came up small very often on some very good teams.

He finally got a great WR but he was too much of a snowflake to lead the guy or to tolerate his annoying diva antics.

He actively engaged in fights with the media and the fans.

• His mommy complained when Garcia did well in 2006
  • His publicist attacked the fans
  • His daddy attacked the fans.
  • He did an interview with Cowboy Primetime Deion Sanders after the Cardinals Thanksgiving game.
    • Prime attacked the city and the fans while McNabb chuckled, agreed, and endorsed the attack
      • McNabb then had a rematch with the same Cardinals team in the NFCCG and he came up small yet again 

McNabb in the Super Bowl was one of the worst performances in the history of Philly sports.

He actually threw a pick in the end zone from the 25, got a do-over from the 20 and threw a mirror image pick to the other side of the end zone on the next play.

Anyone who hates on Philly for not loving McNabb is an ignorant fool who knows nothing about the man, the player, the team, the fans, or the city.

Edited by SkippyX

You could compare the complex relationships that Mike Schmidt, Charles Barkley, and Jimmy Rollins had with Philly fans and you would realize one thing

They were all smarter athletes with a way higher EQ that understood a war with the fans would only hurt them and the team.

McNabb just fought the war.

Since McNabb left Philly (his dad actually said he was resurrected to DC like Jesus)

• He failed miserably in DC (Vickmas was wonderful)
  • He failed miserably in Minny
  • He had some pathetic "Number 5 will always love you" soundbite when his number was retired. 
  • He got multiple DUIs in Arizona
  • He was on ESPN radio immediately after 28-3 and he would not shut up about how Brady should retire now.
  • He was fired from ESPN for sexual harassment.

Its not us. Its him.

Andy Reid is one of the great QB whisperers of all-time.

• He was more than happy to not only get rid of a 33 year old McNabb but he traded him to a division rival since he was mostly harmless.
Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Since McNabb left Philly (his dad actually said he was resurrected to DC like Jesus)

• He failed miserably in DC (Vickmas was wonderful)
  • He failed miserably in Minny
  • He had some pathetic "Number 5 will always love you" soundbite when his number was retired. 
  • He got multiple DUIs in Arizona
  • He was on ESPN radio immediately after 28-3 and he would not shut up about how Brady should retire now.
  • He was fired from ESPN for sexual harassment.

Its not us. Its him.

Andy Reid is one of the great QB whisperers of all-time.

• He was more than happy to not only get rid of a 33 year old McNabb but he traded him to a division rival since he was mostly harmless.

He's an utter prck.