Lions @Vikings

diehardlionfan

Tough loss guys but you definitely have a few pieces to work with going forward. Swift and Hockenson will be awesome. Golladay is easily a top 15 receiver at worst and Stafford is still a good QB.

The defense needs work but there is a decent foundation for your team.

Also, I hate you all for signing Peterson and Griffen haha.

Good luck going forward. See ya week 17!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Watching the game for the first time right now. There's a lot of negativity surrounding Vaitai, but the guy absolutely moves people in the running game.

I’m not a fan but there was one play that reminded me of the Blind Side. He took his block half way down the field. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Watching the game for the first time right now. There's a lot of negativity surrounding Vaitai, but the guy absolutely moves people in the running game.

I think this is why he should be at RG.  His feet are way to slow to keep up at RT.  DEs just run around him.  But he has value as a power blocker in both pass pro and run blocking. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think this is why he should be at RG.  His feet are way to slow to keep up at RT.  DEs just run around him.  But he has value as a power blocker in both pass pro and run blocking. 

I agree. I love the fact that he has the experience and versatility to play both positions, but prefer him at RG. (We - rightly - discussed this very option as a FFMD group.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Eh. Glasgow signed a 4 year, $44M contract. Vaitai signed a 5 year, $45M contract. Vaitai can play RT if needed.

I don't think it's a vast overpay, and I'd rather have the OG/OT option for $2M less per year.

I am not sure it's the value per se, however, we signed him to be RT and he is better suited at RG which I believe we all saw coming. For me, and I think others, it is shelling out this kind of money for an unknown commodity. It was a similar contract as Glasgow and with Glasgow, you knew what you had. It just seems super risky to me especially on a roster where you don't have the kind of luxury to take those risks.

6 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I am not sure it's the value per se, however, we signed him to be RT and he is better suited at RG which I believe we all saw coming. For me, and I think others, it is shelling out this kind of money for an unknown commodity. It was a similar contract as Glasgow and with Glasgow, you knew what you had. It just seems super risky to me especially on a roster where you don't have the kind of luxury to take those risks.

Well, we did have film on Vaitai, and, so far, he's right in line with where the analytics sites had him: good against the run, can struggle in protection.

I love the versatility. We paid less than Glasgow for a guy that can play OG or OT, and play reasonably well. I don't think the versatility can be understated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, we did have film on Vaitai, and, so far, he's right in line with where the analytics sites had him: good against the run, can struggle in protection.

I love the versatility. We paid less than Glasgow for a guy that can play OG or OT, and play reasonably well. I don't think the versatility can be understated.

I dont think he is that versatile because he is really bad at RT.  We paid him hoping he oculd be a RT bt he is a better RG.  The problem is the staff is still trying to plug him at RT.  

And I agree we overpaid him.  Yes he got less than Glasnow but Glasnow had multiple years as a starter and was higher rated.  Vatati had less than 16 games started in his career and had bounced all over the line.  He was a backup OL that we paid solid starter money for.  Maybe others were in on him but if thats the case, find something different.  Crosby has been better as a RT, and would have been far cheaper as a starter.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I dont think he is that versatile because he is really bad at RT.  We paid him hoping he oculd be a RT bt he is a better RG.  The problem is the staff is still trying to plug him at RT.  

And I agree we overpaid him.  Yes he got less than Glasnow but Glasnow had multiple years as a starter and was higher rated.  Vatati had less than 16 games started in his career and had bounced all over the line.  He was a backup OL that we paid solid starter money for.  Maybe others were in on him but if thats the case, find something different.  Crosby has been better as a RT, and would have been far cheaper as a starter.  

this is exactly where I am at as well, but said much better than I could articulate.