Da Tank Thread

Louis Friend

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd still take Tua over Herbert.  And agree I'd probably rather have Herbert than Okudah at this point.  I am not so high on the QBs this year other than Lawrence and Fields. If they are gone, go BPA on DL or LB and build the defense. 

I used Herbert because people’s opinions on him were WIDELY varied whereas Tua’s weren’t.  People agreed Herbert would be a first round quarterback and possible top 10 pick but every mock draft posted that had him going to this team or that team was met with scrutiny because no one seemed to feel he was a franchise changing quarterback. This seems to be the case now with any quarterback in this class outside of Lawrence and Fields. Do you not feel like any of the quarterbacks outside of these two are first round quarterbacks?

47 minutes ago, skhurst0398 said:

I used Herbert because people’s opinions on him were WIDELY varied whereas Tua’s weren’t.  People agreed Herbert would be a first round quarterback and possible top 10 pick but every mock draft posted that had him going to this team or that team was met with scrutiny because no one seemed to feel he was a franchise changing quarterback. This seems to be the case now with any quarterback in this class outside of Lawrence and Fields. Do you not feel like any of the quarterbacks outside of these two are first round quarterbacks?

They might be for a team desperate for a QB. But I’d rather keep Stafford than take a flier on one of the others.  I get what you’re saying, just not the route I’d go when you have a solid QB already.  And that may change as the process moves along but as of now, I don’t want any of them in the first. 

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Bleacher report is suggesting Fields could drop to 11 (I don't think so, but Rogers in the 20s happened so...) to the Lions.  That would be amazing.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mock-draft-watch-justin-fields-175416540.html

Is it? The more I'm seeing about Fields the more skeptical I am becoming of him. 

He couldn't beat out Fromm at Georgia; transferred to Ohio State. Had a really good season. Comes back for 2020 and has had some rough games. Seems to hold onto the ball longer than he should and has been the cause of some of the issues at OSU in their games against lesser opponents. Fields and the Buckeyes did not look good for a good chunk of that game against Northwestern. They won that game purely because of that run game. A number of talent evaluators put a lot of weight into guys that have a lot of starting experience. At this point, Fields really has only about 1.5 seasons due to the reduction in games from COVID, etc. 

It's a long draft process and his big plays could be enough to overlook some of these things but I'm not 100% sold on him at this point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Is it? The more I'm seeing about Fields the more skeptical I am becoming of him. 

He couldn't beat out Fromm at Georgia; transferred to Ohio State. Had a really good season. Comes back for 2020 and has had some rough games. Seems to hold onto the ball longer than he should and has been the cause of some of the issues at OSU in their games against lesser opponents. Fields and the Buckeyes did not look good for a good chunk of that game against Northwestern. They won that game purely because of that run game. A number of talent evaluators put a lot of weight into guys that have a lot of starting experience. At this point, Fields really has only about 1.5 seasons due to the reduction in games from COVID, etc. 

It's a long draft process and his big plays could be enough to overlook some of these things but I'm not 100% sold on him at this point. 

I’m heart broken. Can’t you just say he sucks...it’d make it much easier to dismiss, lol.

for real though, I think he’s a real solid prospect, but you make very valid points. I think any qb is going to have some issues. Landing a prospect like this and letting him sit a couple of years behind Stafford would be great. I think it would be a very solid situation to be in.

I could easily be persuaded to build up the rest of the team and not worry about qb, but doesn’t seem like the consensus of most.

Edited by LionArkie

5 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Bleacher report is suggesting Fields could drop to 11 (I don't think so, but Rogers in the 20s happened so...) to the Lions.  That would be amazing.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mock-draft-watch-justin-fields-175416540.html

No on fields. He reminds me of Haskins IMO shoulda put a claim in for josh Rosen.. if we draft a qb in the first rd next yr I’m on the Zach Wilson train.. Wilson will be the Herbert to Lawrence to being burrow IMO 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I’m heart broken. Can’t you just say he sucks...it’d make it much easier to dismiss, lol.

for real though, I think he’s a real solid prospect, but you make very valid points. I think any qb is going to have some issues. Landing a prospect like this and letting him sit a couple of years behind Stafford would be great. I think it would be a very solid situation to be in.

I could easily be persuaded to build up the rest of the team and not worry about qb, but doesn’t seem like the consensus of most.

I'm not against Fields at this point. There's just a lot of question marks about him where I'm not totally convinced he's going to pan out. I'm almost leaning towards keeping Stafford for 2021 and then trading back up into the bottom of the 1st round to get either Kyle Trask, Mac Jones, etc. When you trade Stafford in 2022 you're likely going to recover most if not all (or more) of the compensation to make that kind of move. 

The nice thing for Fields is that he is going to get another 1-2 games to show who he can be on the field. Apparently he has some sort of thumb injury but so does #9 and Fields has a lot more to prove than Stafford does. 

There's a long way to go in all of this and Fields could be "the guy" (since nobody other than Jacksonville or New York Jets have a shot at Lawrence) but he's far from a sure thing for me at this point. 

Big day for our tank efforts. Philly and Dallas play each other today (hoping for a Philly win due to record/tie breaker), as well as Broncos/Chargers(rooting for Chargers due to SOS). We should jump two teams for draft picks. Need wins from Carolina, Houston (pick goes to Miami) and Atlanta (who is currently playing toe to toe with the Chiefs).

Right now we sit at #8, we could move up 2 to 3 spots today if the cards fall in our favor. 

Edited by Louis Friend

Well from my calculations, Lions moved up to the 7th pick today because Atlanta, Philly and Houston did not pull it out. 

1. Jacksonville Jaguars 1-14  SOS .543

2. NY Jets 2-13 SOS .605

3. Miami (from Houston) 4-11 SOS .534 Tua

4. Atlanta Falcons 4-11 SOS .536

5. Cincinnati Bengals 4-10-1 SOS .520 Burrow

6. Philadelphia Eagles 4-10-1 SOS .546 Hurts

7. Detroit Lions 5-10 SOS .509

8. Carolina Panthers 5-10 SOS .513

9. NY Giants 5-10 SOS .516

10. Denver Broncos 5-10 SOS .577 Lock

11. LA Chargers 6-9 SOS .460 Herbert

12. Dallas Cowboys 6-9 SOS .488 Dak

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Well from my calculations, Lions moved up to the 7th pick today because Atlanta, Philly and Houston did not pull it out. 

1. Jacksonville Jaguars 1-14  SOS .543

2. NY Jets 2-13 SOS .605

3. Miami (from Houston) 4-11 SOS .534 Tua

4. Atlanta Falcons 4-11 SOS .536

5. Cincinnati Bengals 4-10-1 SOS .520 Burrow

6. Philadelphia Eagles 4-10-1 SOS .546 Hurts

7. Detroit Lions 5-10 SOS .509

8. Carolina Panthers 5-10 SOS .513

9. NY Giants 5-10 SOS .516

10. Denver Broncos 5-10 SOS .577 Lock

11. LA Chargers 6-9 SOS .460

12. Dallas Cowboys 6-9 SOS .488 Dak

There is an opportunity to move up next week as well though not enough to really change anything.

The Lions should have an opportunity to draft a QB or move out of the pick if a team falls in love with whichever QB’s are left.

• Like 1

According to ESPN-

For the Lions to be sitting at No. 3 by Monday morning, six things have to happen. First, without question the Lions must lose to Minnesota.

Then Detroit also needs Atlanta to beat Tampa Bay, the Giants to beat Dallas, Cincinnati to beat Baltimore, Houston to beat Tennessee and Philadelphia to beat Washington on Sunday night.

The FPI has the possibility of that happening at 0.5%. As in less than 1%.

Alot can change tomorrow, we need some luck on our side. 

• Like 2