MikeT14

Alex Smith is the starter moving forward

It'll be good to see The League Done Messed Up back in uniform . 

If Haskins has no value and you couldn’t trade him and have zero intentions of playing him then why is he still on this roster? Why not just cut him and elevate Montez? Rivera just comes off as a clown. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Lol.  Man he must really hate Haskins.

Atleast he’s the backup! 🤣

We’re in second place all alone — assuming Pittsburgh awakes from its slumber sometime this evening — and Alex just threw for 325 yards in 3 quarters. In Rivera’s mind, this is a no-brainer. 

This is the ultimate bright, shining, flashing red wailing siren of an example of why you need someone in the organization who can overrule or at least challenge the head coach. It is, I believe, awfully close to being an objectively wrong long-term decision.

If they believe Haskins has any shot of being the long-term QB, he should be playing to see if he can make some progress and earn the spot. If they don’t believe Haskins has any shot of being the long-term QB, he should still be playing because he’s probably more likely to improve our draft stock to give us a chance to select his replacement. 

What we know about Alex Smith is that he’s (a) absolutely not going to be our starting QB in 2022 and beyond and (b) more likely to win some meaningless games this year and drive our draft stock down. The only reason to play him now is because you’re fixated solely on winning games in the short-term. Which is fine for a coach, but there has to be someone in the organization making decisions with a wider lens than “what’s better for next week.”

• Like 3

But but but @e16bball you have to have the chef order the ingredients because cooking metaphors make a ton of sense when talking about football!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Lol.  Man he must really hate Haskins.

Bro he had to have done something really dumb. 

11 hours ago, mar29020 said:

Bro he had to have done something really dumb. 

I mean I think it really does show that, whether he TRULY believes we can win the division or not, Rivera's words about Haskins are lip service. 

Either that or they really believe they will lose more games with Smith than Haskins lol

Before the last 2 Drives I Felt Alex was coming into Form so not shocked they going to keep giving him them ball.

It just upset me our Qb with out even 16 starts fails a 4th and long test vs one of the best teams in Football get benched for it,but a long term vet Threw not 1 but 2 very bad picks at end of  vs one of the worse teams in football and coach talks about how good he was and stuff it just doesn't make sense to me.

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

Before the last 2 Drives I Felt Alex was coming into Form so not shocked they going to keep giving him them ball.

It just upset me our Qb with out even 16 starts fails a 4th and long test vs one of the best teams in Football get benched for it,but a long term vet Threw not 1 but 2 very bad picks at end of  vs one of the worse teams in football and coach talks about how good he was and stuff it just doesn't make sense to me.

Agreed.  The other issue is what is the point of it all?  What are we accomplishing by letting Alex Smith start meaningless games?