The Great Debate: Sam Darnold vs Josh Rosen

Scout

Better NFL QB?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Better NFL QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Josh Rosen

9 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I really like both of them. Rosen grew up with advantages, didn't redshirt and is a little older than Darnold. So I give Darnold more of a leash. Both these guys are so young. Trying to be patient and not have irrational opinions so early. I typically don't watch or judge QB's when they're 19 years old. With these guys you have to watch them at this age. I'm staying low key on them until I absolutely have to evaluate them.

It's also important to remember that Rosen started for 3 years in high school. 

Whereas Darnold only started his senior year. 

I'm sure you already know this cause you do comprehensive research on prospects backgrounds, but there are probably a lot of people here that don't.

I told people the same thing when Carson Wentz came out. He didn't start until his senior year of high school either and was an even more extreme case cause he didn't play a lot in college as he had to sit behind someone for a few years.

12 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm sure you already know this cause you do comprehensive research on prospects backgrounds, but there are probably a lot of people here that don't.

It was something I learned while researching him. Had limited HS tape. Was a challenge for colleges recruiting him. 

10 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

It was something I learned while researching him. Had limited HS tape. Was a challenge for colleges recruiting him. 

Ben Roethlisberger was the same way (Findlay High School, Ohio). He was a TE as an underclassman because a coach's kid who was a year older than him played QB, which is one of the reasons why big schools didn't offer/get the down low on him.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Sam Darnold reminds me of Matt Leinart.

You're going to have to explain why in order to convince anyone of that.

Darnold isn't a pocket statue, doesn't have chronic shoulder problems, nor is he a party boy. So there are some pretty big differences to work through.

18 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I told people the same thing when Carson Wentz came out. He didn't start until his senior year of high school either and was an even more extreme case cause he didn't play a lot in college as he had to sit behind someone for a few years.

How could anyone forget Brock Jensen!

On 10/9/2017 at 4:44 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

And MariGOATa.

Darnold isn't a pocket statue, doesn't have chronic shoulder problems, nor is he a party boy. So there are some pretty big differences to work through.

I think the most glaring similarity is that both are big bodied guys who one would expect a cannon arm from but alas seem to be mediocre in that regard.

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think the most glaring similarity is that both are big bodied guys who one would expect a cannon arm from but alas seem to be mediocre in that regard.

Darnold isn't that big. Maybe 6'3" 230.

He's clearly shorter when he walks side by side with Leinart.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:58 AM, CalhounLambeau said:

And he is very clearly a more physically gifted speciman.

I would say Leinart had Darnold in accuracy and decision making. But not anything else.

Archived