MortexLion

Lion's Need GM and HC?

Who do you think will be the next GM and HC for the Lions this coming up year.. Please no out of ordinary College Team coach...I want a winner or at least a winner on Offence.. Someone like Kyle 49er or kliff kingsbury

I don't know if Joe Brady is ready to be a NFL head coach, but when he gets the chance I think he'll be a good one and I wouldn't fault the Lions for taking a shot on him early rather than missing out. Other names are Eric Bieniemy and Greg Roman, but I'm not sure how attractive the Lions job would be compared to teams like the Jets and Jaguars who will be able to draft QBs for those guys to build around.

As for GM, Ed Dodds, currently the Colts Assistant GM and VP of Player Personnel has an impressive scouting background and will be a hot commodity in the offseason for GM needy teams. Mike Borganzi of KC has been said to have had a significant role in building the Chiefs and will likely get a job somewhere. Pair him with Bieniemy and that might be the best option, but would they come to Detroit? 

14 hours ago, MortexLion said:

Plus could you see Stafford in a Kyle 49er's offense or Kliff's?

You say in the opening that no obscure college choice but wasn't Kliff an obscure college choice? 

I think most are going to want/say Bienemy, but my thought is he will have his choice of where he wants to go and I can't see that being Detroit.  I think my top choices that seem feasible right now would be Matt Campbell, Brian Dabol, or Matt Eberflus.  

Cambpell - Seems like the defensive version of Kingsbury.  Always a risk going with a college coach but he thinks outside the box and has done well against high powered Big 12 offenses with far less talent. 

Dabol - Doing well with Allen in Buffalo and seems to be able to adapt on offense around his stars.  He likes to stretch the field and seems to be doing pretty well with later round picks at RB.  Would be good if we draft a QB.

Eberflus - Another big turnaround in Indy with what I would consider lesser talent as a whole.  He schemes to his players strengths instead of forcing his players into his scheme. 

No matter what, I want an innovator.  Not someone who did well under an innovator but someone who has used their imagination and been succesful.  Similar to McVay, who has had ups and downs but seems to be adapting and continuing to evolve instead of being stubborn and going down with a system. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on Notre Dame's Brian Kelly? Either as the Lions HC or just as an NFL HC in general?

16 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Notre Dame's Brian Kelly? Either as the Lions HC or just as an NFL HC in general?

I don't love him as either.  I think he consistently falls short with expectations and isn't the most innovative coach on the planet.  I think his big win this weekend was the biggest of his career but in general I feel like he will be a good but not great coach wherever he is.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

He can dominate the MAC.

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

Omar Khan for GM, Robert Saleh HC

Khan is a really interesting name. I hadn't heard that one before. The Steelers have a long history of organizational success and bringing in someone with that background might be able to help change things around here. 

Saleh... I like the local connection but still not 100% sure on him. The whole team has been banged up but I do wonder how much was him and how much was the abundance of talent on the team. 

Without even getting into names, what about general philosophy. We're likely going to be getting a new starting QB in the next 1-2 years. Would you prefer an offensive minded HC or a defensive minded HC? Usually teams go the opposite of what was there but it's not a hard and fast rule. With all of the defensive issues it's entirely possible that the team hires another defensive minded HC. Would it be better for our new QB to have a HC focused on them and the offense or someone that is hands off and manning the defense. 

I was wanting Khan when Quinn was hired.  I think I'd still like to take a look at him.

I would prefer hiring someone who's good at managing/coaching football and not putting any conditions on them, like you have to keep our quarterback, you have to keep our OC, you have to draft good community guys.

This is the most impossible thing because that is not the way any Ford has done things in 60 years. 

On 11/9/2020 at 5:15 AM, Nnivolcm said:

Can you add "and owners" to the title?

Other than "fans complaining a lot" (which the fans have done forever), why would they sell?

13 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Other than "fans complaining a lot" (which the fans have done forever), why would they sell?

Maybe if we ask them nice...If not, then we can write them a strongly worded letter with images of corvettes and Ram trucks.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Maybe if we ask them nice...If not, then we can write them a strongly worded letter with images of corvettes and Ram trucks.

Ha! I actually laughed.

• Like 1