The Good, the Bad and the Ugly vs. that LA team

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Also bad M.Collins. I wouldn’t have even know he played today if the camera man didnt show him randomly in the 2h. 

I can’t remember a bigger disappointment in a FA signing by the Raiders then him. I really had high hopes for him cause of the flashes he showed with the Cowboys 

Everyone got excited by that 2019 PFF interior pressure stat and thought he’d be good.  He was never that good... he fed off Quinn and DLaws outside pressure and had a career year.  But if you watched the tape it didn’t match the PFF stats.  He was never dominate in Dallas, even in 2019.

If he was so good why didn’t Dallas try to resign him and why didn’t anyone else offer him something decent in FA?  

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ve said this a long time.... we need a speed rusher.  A DPR type that can be brought in on 3rd down and be let loose. 
The lack of pressure from the interior is embarrassing even for us.  Until that’s fixed there’s no point to a Speed rusher.  QBs can just step up in the pocket.   Pass rushing is a team game.... usually one guy causes the sack for the guy who gets the second best pressure.  On any given sack we really can only hope for one player to get a pressure unfortunately.

We need to seriously upgrade DT and get a DPR this offseason.

I have been pounding the table for a 3T who can get after the QB for years.  Leonard Williams over Cooper, Q. Williams if he was there and if not Ed Oliver.  

You're exactly right in that even if we get pressure on the edge a QB can step up because our interior pass rush is no existent.  

If there is an interior disruptor on the clock when we draft next season we should make that pick.  i'm not sure who is a good 3T in college right now but hopefully there is that type of player out there when we are on the clock. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I have been pounding the table for a 3T who can get after the QB for years.  Leonard Williams over Cooper, Q. Williams if he was there and if not Ed Oliver.  

You're exactly right in that even if we get pressure on the edge a QB can step up because our interior pass rush is no existent.  

If there is an interior disruptor on the clock when we draft next season we should make that pick.  i'm not sure who is a good 3T in college right now but hopefully there is that type of player out there when we are on the clock. 

I agree.  If we can add a good 3Tech and a speedy DPR we’d be much better.  Ferrell and Crosby would play better,,, it was nice to see Nassib make a sack.  He could be another accessory piece.  We have the accessory pieces we just need the playmakers now.

11 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I agree.  If we can add a good 3Tech and a speedy DPR we’d be much better.  Ferrell and Crosby would play better,,, it was nice to see Nassib make a sack.  He could be another accessory piece.  We have the accessory pieces we just need the playmakers now.

What's your take on Arnette?  I haven't seen enough to say one way or another how good he will be.  Do you think he will be a solid #2 or was the pick a reach like most assumed on draft night?

I sure hope he will be a viable starter for the next 5 seasons at least.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

26 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ve said this a long time.... we need a speed rusher.  A DPR type that can be brought in on 3rd down and be let loose. 
The lack of pressure from the interior is embarrassing even for us.  Until that’s fixed there’s no point to a Speed rusher.  QBs can just step up in the pocket.   Pass rushing is a team game.... usually one guy causes the sack for the guy who gets the second best pressure.  On any given sack we really can only hope for one player to get a pressure unfortunately.

We need to seriously upgrade DT and get a DPR this offseason.

Yeah, this team has 3 big deficiencies: 

- speedy edge rusher 

- dominant interior rusher 

- rangy free safety 

Good:

1. Carr, Renfrow, Booker, Jacobs, Agholor, Waller, the patchwork O-line. Tom Freaking Cable deserves a ton of credit for the offense this year. 

Bad:

2. The D. We don't tackle well. No pass rush. We give up chunk plays for first downs like nothing I've seen before. Our scheme sucks. Our coordinator sucks. But it's becoming a broken record at this point. 

Ugly:

3. The last 2 drives by LA. 

4. Gruden's schizophrenic relationship with 4th down. 

5. Gruden and Olson calling anything other than a kneel down to end the 1st half. That nearly cost us the game. We went down by 3 for no reason and nearly lost the game by 1 or 2. That's totally irrational and unacceptable. It was stupid beyond belief, and if we lost, what effect does that nonsense have in terms of morale and buying in? It was an amateur move bar-none. Even the worst of armchair coaches would recognize how dumb of a move that is, and I'm sure there's at least some of us here with playing/coaching experience at some level that feel the same way. It was pointless, risky, stupid, juvenile, and the ugliest thing I've seen since I first Googled Mark Davis. We played well enough that this game should have been a 2-score game and gimme win. But objectively dumb decisions with zero rationale that a Pop Warner coach wouldn't make up 100-0 in the first quarter made this game too close for comfort and very much nearly lost it. Gruden should be returning whatever salary he earned for this game, apologizing to the team for at least the end of the first half, and doing a lot of self-reflection for today's totally irresponsible and ill-advised mishaps. 

We're 5-3 and it should be a comfortable 5-3 that we look at and say "Man, we're so close to that being 6-2 or even 7-1 with just a few things bouncing our way instead of snowballing against us." Instead, we're being thankful to not be 4-4 because our coaching staff made some of the dumbest decisions in professional sports. 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Bad.

Gruden he needs to get out of his conservative habbits. Lean on your strength or does he not want to take the blame if things dont work cause its easy to point the finger at PG and the D

Sam Young also bad but wasn't as bad in the 2h

Lack of touches for Ruggs. I dont get it and it needs to change

Good

Carr played really well showed a lot that a lot of us have asked him to do

I.Johson im not sure Mullen even makes that plays on the goal line. His length and his ability swipe at the ball once caught was really the difference from a catch or no catch on both passes

THE BEST

Watching the Chargers celebrate the win and then see their faces when they realized it was a no catch LMFAO

I agree with your choice for best.. 

Good was DC, Agholor, Ferrell.

Bad was not getting Ruggs a single catch does carr not like him?? 

Ugly  was PG. FPG!!!!  Another weak D showing he needs to be removed

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What's your take on Arnette?  I haven't seen enough to say one way or another how good he will be.  Do you think he will be a solid #2 or was the pick a reach like most assumed on draft night?

Let me start off by saying you were right about Carr this year and if he fixes a couple small things he will be tier 1 QB.  As far as Arnette goes I think he is playing well, when he plays, fora rookie CB.  After today I think Mullen, Arnette, and Johnson give us three quality CBs that matchup well vs most WRs.  I want to see Johnson do it for a few weeks before I am completely confident but he looked good today.  I believe next year Arnette will be almost as good as Mullen is this year.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Let me start off by saying you were right about Carr this year and if he fixes a couple small things he will be tier 1 QB.  As far as Arnette goes I think he is playing well, when he plays, fora rookie CB.  After today I think Mullen, Arnette, and Johnson give us three quality CBs that matchup well vs most WRs.  I want to see Johnson do it for a few weeks before I am completely confident but he looked good today.  I believe next year Arnette will be almost as good as Mullen is this year.

It's too early to say if Arnette or Johnson are good CB's, but they at least are fast enough to run with WR in this division. I think that is enough for now to not have any obvious physical mismatches. Joyner can be a good free safety if he ever gets the chance to play there...

Good 

I. Johnson - Made a couple of critical plays, good to see him stepping up. 

Parker- Didn’t notice him all game which can only be a good thing. 

RBs-Thought Jacobs and Booker were excellent with Richard chipping in with a reception and good KR. 

Carr to Agholor - What a pass

Bad

Waller with a bad drop

Grudens play calling- TE screen on 3rd and 6 was infuriating 

Ugly 

Calling TO on with Chargers 2nd & 16 up by 7 with 1:20 or so left in the half. No need to force things given we had the ball to start 2nd half. 

Calling TO with 12 secs left in the half on our own 25 yard line, crazy. 

Defense- awful, gave up so many passes in the deep middle. 

Good

• Carr - Made a few iffy decisions but overall made the plays needed to get the win + love seeing him have fun out there
  • Run blocking and the backs - big holes and great effort all around
  • Ferrell and Nassib - Ferrell in particular had a great day IMO. I just want to see what he can do on the strong-side! 
  • Carlson - Thinks he deserves some credit
  • Kwiatkoski - another strong outing 

Bad

• Offensive play calling - some very questionable calls

Ugly

• Sam Young pass blocking
  • Defensive coaching and scheming... the wide-open short passes for masses of YAC was just ridiculous 
  • Why do they refuse to reduce Collins's snap counts...
  • Littleton - I'm not seeing any strengths ... not knocking Herbert 5 yards back on the first down run killed me
  • Not managing to get Ruggs involved again (apparently he had 3 targets but I can't remember the two outside of the deep pass)
  • Witten should not be starting over Moreau at this point... 

Unknown/to Review

• Ferrell's rotating out, unless it's to keep him fresh I think Crosby should be rotated with Nassib instead
  • Brandon Parker pass blocking  - From what I saw he was murdered by inside moves but did reasonably well handing outside and bull-rushes 
    • I'm seeing a few people saying he was good so I need to go back and re-watch...
  • The CB's - I have no idea...
Edited by Ryno
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Solid win... Carr, Agholor, Jacobs/Booker mix (Booker looks terrific), OL outside of RT, and play calling was terrific outside of some conservative bs at the end.

9-7 and a playoff spot finally looks within reach. Really didn't think we'd get there this year. We should be able to: Split with Denver, Split with Indy/Mia, Split with Atl/NYJ, and hopefully sweep the Chargers. That would be 9-7. 8-8 is still possible but 9-7 is more likely at this point. Playoffs baby, let's go.

9 wins has been our floor since the get go.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Thanks man and I am happy I was right.  I was pretty certain I had the right assessment on Carr as he was playing "conservative" which was in accordance with the game plan which was ultimately to preserve his health until the team was ready to make a playoff push.  Football is a dynamic sport with a lot of moving parts, Carr had no weapons on O and a terrible D.  Most QB's would have washed out under those circumstances but Carr played it smart and like I have said all along he learned a tremendous amount from his brother being drafted #1 overall on a dumpster fire of a team.  

I have been a Raider fan for well over 30 years and we as fans have been in QB purgatory for the majority of that time, minus the Gannon years.  I try to be an unbiased as possible and call players good when I see them and bums when I do not.  

For years I had always come back to my building block QB point.  I asked people who doubted me to list 10 building block QB's ahead of Carr and no one could.  I would get lists that included Goff, Mayfield, Darnold, Danny Dimes lol, Winston and Mariota....  It was pretty insane but I never saw one list that could definitively put Carr outside the top 10.  

We are close but we still have some issues that need to be addressed, especially on the D side of the ball.  We need an interior pass rusher combined with a stud edge rusher, a LB and some help in the secondary.  We are making the right moves and the future is bright if we can continue on this same trajectory.  Go Raiders!!!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I know it’s not the answer you want but I don’t know.  
he’s only played in weeks 1-3.  He’s had good points and bad points.  He definitely looks like he has the talent to be a top end CB2 in the league.  I love his tackling and physicality.  

But we clearly don’t have enough information to make a opinion.  Any “opinion” on Arnette would be purely based upon what I want to believe will happen not what I think will happen based upon evidence/facts.

While I think he was a reach at 19, I don’t think it was a massive reach.  As soon as it was known that he wasn’t a 4.56 and instead Better than 4.47 he became a 1st round talent Again.  I say again because he was a 1st round talent for 2+ years at OSU.  But when his speed came in at 4.57 and with his shorter arms I moved him into the “can’t start outside, must play slot” group.  I think Arnette was CB4 in the draft and the 1st round / Tier 1 CB.

• Like 2